classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wilmington town thread

Z
Scotty congrats on Beta's bike weekend.  Seems like it was a big success.

A couple of questions so I started a thread

Anyone know how the gas project is progressing?  I almost didn't make it to Robos to fuel up the other day.

Timing on Steinhofs?

What are the doing with that lot just past Paleface that got logged?  Is that going to be a new housing subdivision?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wilmington town thread

Highpeaksdrifter
I called BA Straight last summer about that clearing. Since they are right by there and in the business I thought they would know. The person who answered my call was kinda vague. What I came away with was that it was not going to be a subdivision, it was for a couple of houses for the same owner. I don't know if the person I spoke to knew what she was talking about. However, considering how slow the development in Wilmington right off 86 is going and the townhouses on Lake Everest don't seem to be going at all...seems to me another major subdivision project close by would be nuts.

BTW...good thread idea
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
What ended up happening with Steinhoff's?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Drove through the big wink today.  The town is looking pretty spiffy.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
umm Bike fest is June 20-22.  

Last weekend was Placid Planet Bike races and just generally more mtn bikers in town cause our trails are awesome!

The same dude who purchased Mel's closed on Steins, so we'll see what if anything happens....

I'm calling the "clear cut" off 86 local redneck black fly control....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
Scotty congrats on Beta's bike weekend.  Seems like it was a big success.

BETA has made it to syracuse.com

http://www.syracuse.com/travel/index.ssf/2014/05/adirondack_summer_getaways_for_outdoor_adventure.html

Cool article ---- nice work SJ
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
 June 20-22 BikeFest

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Is anyone aware of other commercial projects planeed inWilmington other than the ones discussed? Is the Ledgerock still for sale, or has it sold? Any speculation if Whiteface will follow the development similar to what went down at Jay Peak? Would a village anywhere near the mountain even be possible to develop due to existing law and regulation. Or will things just stand the way they have with the mountain in "stand alone" mode forever.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Jon951 wrote
 Any speculation if Whiteface will follow the development similar to what went down at Jay Peak? Would a village anywhere near the mountain even be possible to develop due to existing law and regulation. Or will things just stand the way they have with the mountain in "stand alone" mode forever.
didn't you hear about the plan to build a chairlift that will run from downtown lake placid to the top of little whiteface?  also, the plan is to build hotels all along the highway with little runs from them connecting to the slides.  the whole place will be unrecognizable in 10 years.

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Pants wrote
Jon951 wrote
 Any speculation if Whiteface will follow the development similar to what went down at Jay Peak? Would a village anywhere near the mountain even be possible to develop due to existing law and regulation. Or will things just stand the way they have with the mountain in "stand alone" mode forever.
didn't you hear about the plan to build a chairlift that will run from downtown lake placid to the top of little whiteface?  also, the plan is to build hotels all along the highway with little runs from them connecting to the slides.  the whole place will be unrecognizable in 10 years.
It was supposed to be a gondola......
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I think that has been changed. Now the talk is of drones flying people over.

Smart comments aside, to answer the question posed, the land use restrictions prevent slope side development. Likely most of the land adjacent is also restricted.

Luckily HPD and Aussie are more than happy to welcome guests into their abodes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Funny stuff. Made me laugh like when looking at the pic of these guys.

On a serious note, heard recent influx of EB-5 $$ being applied in Wilmington. Just curious where, if anyone knows.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Veeeerrrryy interesting !

Maybe we can get an answer from........Some wild and crazy guys !
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by Jon951
Some Russians bought Mels diner and motel on 4 corners and also just purchased steinhoffs.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Mels's Diner closed again. Say what?
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I was driving by Steinhoff’s today when I saw a few trucks in their parking lot and a SALE sign out front, so I pull in to see what’s up.  The bar and the dining room where full of furniture, artwork, equipment, various knickknacks, pretty much everything including the piano and pool table. Everything was very organized. I asked one of the guys who was helping to sort if everything was for sale and he said yes and they were getting ready for an auction that will be tentatively held Aug. 9th. After everything is gone the plan is to pretty much gut the place for a complete makeover. At least that’s what the guy I was talking to said.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I was driving by Steinhoff’s today when I saw a few trucks in their parking lot and a SALE sign out front, so I pull in to see what’s up.  The bar and the dining room where full of furniture, artwork, equipment, various knickknacks, pretty much everything including the piano and pool table. Everything was very organized. I asked one of the guys who was helping to sort if everything was for sale and he said yes and they were getting ready for an auction that will be tentatively held Aug. 9th. After everything is gone the plan is to pretty much gut the place for a complete makeover. At least that’s what the guy I was talking to said.
Even the "Chair of Truth" is for sale????

Figures that Steins would re-open this year.....we're hitting $towe and Smuggs this year. They do have the Matterhorn tho.... Few of us were booted from that place in the late 80's, wonder if they'll remember me
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Every time I read something about this McKeever guy he is doing something positive for outdoor enthusiasts and the community in general.

http://www.lakeplacidnews.com/page/content.detail/id/521901/APA-hits-mountain-bike-trails-in-Wilmington.html?nav=5059
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
He's prolly some wannaB do-gooder tree huggin ex-hippie type...hehe
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Nice article. Why is it the DEC is so against glade trimming that would seem to have less enviro impact