Wind holds suck.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wind holds suck.

Saratogahalfday
I was up early and ready to roll, then I checked and saw that basically every mountain in northern NY and VT were instituting upper mountain wind holds, ala no summit access.  I was pretty annoyed, then I saw this from yesterday...

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/05/skiers-stuck-terrifying-lift-seats-blown-side-side-7205565/
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wind holds suck.

Harvey
Administrator
I saw that too. It looks like a bubble, they are susceptible to wind.

Wind hold is what is.  You want storms (I do) you are going to get wind. To me anytime a lift doesn't spin to some extent the snow is saved for another day.

Platty is spinning all lifts today.  Or come tomorrow.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
find the old low to the ground chair lifts. platty and magic mnt both have lifts that run through the wind and offer top to bottom skiing . they are both slower then hell so be prepared to freeze your ass off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Saturday, January 06, 2018

For the safety of all guests and staff, Killington will not open today.

9:57 am 01/06/18--After much consideration here at Killington Resort, we have decided that, in the interest of safety for guests and staff, we will not open today. With temperatures well below zero and winds gusting to 45 mph, the wind chill is at least 50 below zero; it's just too cold to put folks out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The Beast of the East is closed for weather.  That's really saying something about just how crazy it is.

I ended up at Mountain Creek since it's a short drive and bit warmer than in the Catskills or Vermont.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
snoloco wrote
I ended up at Mountain Creek

Jay Peak:

-20 °F  
We got a few more inches of snow since our last report, but as predicted, this morning has brought with it many challenges. Temps have plummeted to -20F at the base, and that being said, we don’t even want to know what the summit is like right now.

Lifts and Patrol have decided to shut down ALL LIFTS for the day. This decision did not come easy, however, it is always safety first for us on the mountain.

Have we mentioned our indoor options? Vermont’s only indoor waterpark will be boasting temps near 85F all day, and our new Clips and Reels climbing gym and cinema draught house just opened to the public last week. We also have FREE LIVE MUSIC today over at the Tower Bar at Tramside with Seth Yacovone; first note is at 4:00 PM. Learn a bit more about all our activities HERE.

If the wind is too windy and the theater sounds nice, today's showings include: WONDER WOMAN @ 2:00 PM, THE BIG STICK @ 4:30 PM, ATOMIC BLONDE @ 7:30 PM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Saturday, January 06, 2018

For the safety of all guests and staff, Killington will not open today.

9:57 am 01/06/18--After much consideration here at Killington Resort, we have decided that, in the interest of safety for guests and staff, we will not open today. With temperatures well below zero and winds gusting to 45 mph, the wind chill is at least 50 below zero; it's just too cold to put folks out there.

Wow. Has that ever happened on a Saturday?

Has to be a huge revenue hit.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
No wind holds in northern VA.

Temp was 3 degrees when I pulled into the parking lot at Massanutten this morning.  A few gusts in the afternoon but didn't last long.  Pretty rare to have windblown snow conditions.  Just enough people who know how to dress for frigid temps to keep the local ski shop's demo tent busy all day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
The revenue hit was the weather though, not the lift closing. How many would have skied today?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I would have, and did ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What I meant was that Killington was not leaving a huge pile of revenue on the table by closing.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Stratton only ran a carpet yesterday and ran a carpet and the AMEX HS6 out of the base to mid mountain for a little while. Nothing to the top. The high temp for the base was -5 and the for the summit it was -15. There was lots of wind.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
In your home state of New Jersey!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I live in New York
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
What I meant was that Killington was not leaving a huge pile of revenue on the table by closing.

Yeah, you're right. They would have lost more money with a bunch of hourly staff standing around servicing nobody. My buddy is a snowboard instructor and his wife sells tickets on the weekend, and both were called off earlier in the week. They were preparing for this back then. Not that both my buddy and his wife were sad about it. They don't need the money.
funny like a clown