4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windham GM to buy Woods Valley

Harvey
Administrator
Press Release from Windham this morning. Kind of a cool story:

Windham Mountain general manager to purchase central NY ski area, continue to work with Windham Mountain
WINDHAM, NY  (June 6, 2011)

Windham Mountain president and general manager Tim Woods will assume ownership of the Woods Valley Ski Area in Westernville, NY, about 15 miles northwest of Utica in early Fall 2011.

Mr. Woods will continue to serve as president and general manager at Windham Mountain through the end of the 2011-2012 ski season.  

Randy MacDonald, managing partner of Windham Mountain Partners, said that he was surprised by Woods’ decision, but that the move was a “wonderful story.”

“Tim’s 15-year tenure at Windham Mountain is filled with wonderful accomplishments,” MacDonald said. “He now finds himself in a position to fulfill his father’s vision. That he is doing this speaks volumes about his character. On a personal note, I will miss him professionally, but more importantly, I will miss him as a personal friend.”

MacDonald said that Woods would remain at Windham Mountain during the upcoming ski season, working with the management team, the Partners and a new general manager, for whom a search is currently underway. The change won’t have any impact on programs, operations or capital improvements, he said.

Woods Valley was created by Mr. Woods’s late father, David, in 1964. His family sold the resort upon David Woods’s premature death in 1988. Tim Woods will purchase the ski area from the Olney family, which purchased it from the Woods family.

“It’s something of a bittersweet moment,” Woods said. “I’ll miss being at Windham Mountain every day, and spending so much time with a mountain, a team and a community that I love. But now I also have a remarkable opportunity to return to where my wife and I grew up, be close to my mother and siblings, and to complete my father’s work.”
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windham GM to buy Woods Valley

RosieSki
Thanks for sharing Harvey, that is a pretty cool story!  I'm going to have to keep an eye out for more news about this since Woods Valley is my main source of weeknight winter entertainment.  I'm curious to see if/what changes are made.  Some summer activities there would be pretty sweet!  Probably wishful thinking, but hey I can dream.  haha
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
How does he get enough money to buy a ski area on a ski area GM salary?  Must have some of that family money left over . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Maybe be got a really good deal?

Be curious to know the price.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp