Windham Mountain: Dec 19, 2011

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windham Mountain: Dec 19, 2011

nelsap
FINALLY, got a chance to ski yesterday. Went to Windham in the Catskills as had a free ticket thanks to Warren Miller.

Weather was sunny and near 30 to start, then warmed up quickly to near 40. Not a lot open. This weather pattern has only resulted in short windows to make snow. Really only about 3 options, a beginner trail off the triple, Upper-Lower Whistler (their main intermediate route), and Upper/Lower Wolverine (expert).

Not a lot of people but more showed up towards lunch. Whistler was interesting, nicely groomed in spots and then ice mounds from snowmaking at the bottom, which was really bumpy and chopped up in places. Some ice chunks and spots. Not bad for early season but could have used a nice groom at the bottom before they opened.

I stayed off Upper Wolverine, that looked like large ice snowmaking mounds, Lower Wolverine wasn't groomed and had recent snowmaking, was so so.

So did ok, certainly not the best day and wished they had more open, but always good to get out for the first time of the season.

PS, while I like Windham, their vertical is greatly exaggerated, its really only about 1400' yet they claim 1600'. I even have a brochure somewhere from the 80's that show the two parallel summit lifts, one showing a vert of 1350' (correct) and the other 1550' (incorrect), despite both starting and stopping at the same place.

Summit

Upper Whistler

Upper Whistler

Lower Wolverine

Base
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windham Mountain, Dec 19, 2011

Cornhead
Thanks for the report nelsap, I've got a pass from the Warren Miller movie too. I'm thinking of hitting Windham on my way to Vermont next month. I like Windham, I love the mid mountain high speed quad. I usually go midweek, there is never a line at that chair. It probably covers close to the same vertical as my home hill, and takes half the time. It's a big plus when you can ski this time of year sans crowds, makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
The vert is definitely overstated. I have it as 1400 at best here:

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Maybe they took their base elevation and combined in with neighboring Windham High Peak?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windham Mountain: Dec 19, 2011

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by nelsap
The competition in the cats is fierce but the vert discrepancy makes no sense. Hey I say round it up to the nearest 100 and I'm cool with that...

Hope to get to WIndham for my first time this season.

Nice pics, thanks for the report nelsap.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp