ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wolves!

Sick Bird Rider
Well, that got my dog howling. Aaaaa ooooo aaa ooooo.....

Those were Canadian wolves introduced in Yellowstone, by the way.

Interesting little film, it had me until the "change the rivers" part. The introduction of grey wolves to YNP started in 1995, a mere 29 years ago. I have no doubt that the the smaller effects on local animal populations and dynamics could happen in that short a time period but changing the course of rivers in 30 years? Hmmm. Takes that long to grow a half-decent sized aspen tree.

Anyway, wolves are pretty awesome critters and I am pleased that they make their home around our house. Here's a little guy being tagged by biologists right in our local BC ski zone:
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
<quote author="Sick Bird Rider">

Interesting little film, it had me until the "change the rivers" part. The introduction of grey wolves to YNP started in 1995, a mere 29 years ago.

I know you're on the metric system up there, but '95 to 2014 does not make 29 years...
O ye of little faith in the healing power of mother nature.

The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
mikegbflo wrote
I know you're on the metric system up there, but '95 to 2014 does not make 29 years...
O ye of little faith in the healing power of mother nature.
I stand corrected - it is 19 years. Even less time for a river to heal itself. Or an aspen to grow.

Don't get me wrong, I am as pro-wolf as you can can get. And I truly believe that ma nature can heal itself, given time. Just a little skeptical on the timeline of evolutionary biology expressed in the video.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll shoot those vicious deer kills every chance I get ---- kinda like this one I got this year --- glad it was a female too!

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
you're such a redneck.  

In the next life, I hope you come back as a deer cause me and my pack will tear you apart, eat you up and poop you out.

but you'll probably come back as a Skunk.  And in that case, we'll just laugh at you cause you stink so bad!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Cool video!  I believe the part about the rivers being stabilized because of less erosion due to increased vegetation...makes sense to me
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
you're such a redneck.  

In the next life, I hope you come back as a deer cause me and my pack will tear you apart, eat you up and poop you out.

but you'll probably come back as a Skunk.  And in that case, we'll just laugh at you cause you stink so bad!
Camp gets mad if deer get killed by anthing besides a gun, rifle, or bow...
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
pro2860 wrote
ScottyJack wrote
you're such a redneck.  

Camp gets mad if deer get killed by anthing besides a gun, rifle, or bow...
well that's something that he and I strongly disagree about.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
" Smoke a Pack a Day."
I remember being new on the NS Zone a few years back and the subject of wolves came up. Some people were being pretty tough on me. Then I suddenly found myself back in the Daks and seriously considered going up to LP and find the guy calling me names. Then my head cleared and I realized it was some guy talking smack on the internet. I had been trolled. Luckily, Camp P came to my rescue.
Anyway, wolves are cute. I'm not sure I could shoot one. I have not had one in the crosshairs. Maybe there is a place for them in the eco system somewhere.
Somewhere else.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
you're such a redneck.  

bwahahahahaha

I knew that one would getcha
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by lolkl
lolkl wrote
" Smoke a Pack a Day."
Anyway, wolves are cute.
Wolves aint cute.  Wolves are pure wild.   And I for one want no part helping to extinguish pure wild...

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
lolkl wrote
" Smoke a Pack a Day."
I remember being new on the NS Zone a few years back and the subject of wolves came up. Some people were being pretty tough on me. Then I suddenly found myself back in the Daks and seriously considered going up to LP and find the guy calling me names. Then my head cleared and I realized it was some guy talking smack on the internet. I had been trolled. Luckily, Camp P came to my rescue.
Anyway, wolves are cute. I'm not sure I could shoot one. I have not had one in the crosshairs. Maybe there is a place for them in the eco system somewhere.
Somewhere else.
Right on! We hunters need to stick together
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
lolkl wrote
" Smoke a Pack a Day."
Anyway, wolves are cute.
Wolves aint cute.  Wolves are pure wild.   And I for one want no part helping to extinguish pure wild...
FWIW, they're hard as hell to get a shot off----quick little bastards

I'm not talking Wolves, I've never even seen a Wolf in the wild. I'm after those damn coyotes!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
lolkl wrote
" Smoke a Pack a Day."
Somewhere else.
My grandpa's (mom's dad) family goes back to Yellow Knife, Canada!  I started following him into the woods when I was 8!   I can out hunt anyone on this board!  So, just because I will not murder my brother the wolf and coyote means nothing!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
ScottyJack wrote
you're such a redneck.  

Quoted because this should be Post of the Year!

Scotty Jack FTW!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You did not come to LP cause your were chicken to get your ass kicked in pool.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
lolkl wrote
" Smoke a Pack a Day."
Somewhere else.
My grandpa's (mom's dad) family goes back to Yellow Knife, Canada!  I started following him into the woods when I was 8!   I can out hunt anyone on this board!  So, just because I will not murder my brother the wolf and coyote means nothing!

Whatever Tonto --- I'll be sure and look for the smoke signals as we get close to the entrance of WF this weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
You saw smoke signals last year! But then realized they were from inside the car...
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
It seems the maggots on TGR are discussing this video as well. From that thread, here are some links to news articles outlining the science behind the hyperbolic video. I am not skeptical now.

The first two are from newsmagazines, good outlines of the situation. Second two are a little more scientific:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/18/science/earth/18wolf.html?_r=0
http://www.hcn.org/wotr/wolves-and-grizzles-a-grand-symbiotic-relationship
http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jcallen/river%20channel%20dynamics.pdf
http://www.cof.orst.edu/leopold/papers/RippleBeschtaYellowstone_BioConserv.pdf

And for Mr. Campy, the wolf hunter, I present the opposite side of the story. Here lies Bambi, or at least what is left of him, bits of hair and hoof near a wolf den I stumbled upon yesterday. A critter has to eat: