x10003q
Now 3-3 in the 88th minute
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: World Cup 2018

JTG4eva!
What a free kick.  Wow.

The precision and skill footballers display is on par with (exceeeds IMHO) what World Cup skiers display.  A shame someone like Z is unable/unwilling to appreciate it.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by x10003q
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
What a free kick.  Wow.

The precision and skill footballers display is on par with (exceeeds IMHO) what World Cup skiers display.  A shame someone like Z is unable/unwilling to appreciate it.
🍺 nice to have some common ground with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

Leaving politics in the faceless forum.....I’d personally drink, ski or play soccer with anyone here, any time!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JTG4eva! wrote

Leaving politics in the faceless forum.....I’d personally drink, ski or play soccer with anyone here, any time!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by witch hobble
Weed Man, are you a soccer player?  

I played on the very first club/team our high school had 83/84 ---- I figured soccer (running your ass off) would get me in better shape for hoops than any other sport at that time, and it did. We were never good but certainly have fond memories of playing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I was a big fish/small pond high school star. A wild haired soccer player way before it became a stereotype with Valderrama, Alexi Lalas etc.

Sporadic indoor/beer league playing over the last 20 years. I live too far from the facility to make too much of a commitment.

I am a soccer dad though.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cool ---- I like your style Weed
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

Amen- I agree
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by witch hobble
Watching on DVR now. I concur
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Hopefully many more games with this intensity to come. 🍺
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Another good game this morning. Halftime now 1-1 between Argentina and Iceland.

Aguero’s goal showcases the skill and timing involved. Trap, create a small bit of space, fire it into the upper corner. All within the span of a second and a half. Unbeatable.

Game is a tough one for me. I love Messi and would like to see him win a cup. But the Iceland underdog story is inspiring.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
witch hobble wrote
Another good game this morning. Halftime now 1-1 between Argentina and Iceland.

Aguero’s goal showcases the skill and timing involved. Trap, create a small bit of space, fire it into the upper corner. All within the span of a second and a half. Unbeatable.

Game is a tough one for me. I love Messi and would like to see him win a cup. But the Iceland underdog story is inspiring.
This is what I respect about soccer. The chess match and some athleticism. Other than that, I'm with Z.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Iceland played the whole second half in their own half and managed to hold to a draw.  

A couple near misses and a weak penalty shot for Messi.

Hard to truly leave politics out of the World Cup thread. My guess is the more conservative you are on the American political scale, the less likely you to have an inclination to care about the World Cup.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
witch hobble wrote
Hard to truly leave politics out of the World Cup thread. My guess is the more conservative you are on the American political scale, the less likely you to have an inclination to care about the World Cup.
I wonder why this is. Is it a multiculturalism vs. "real 'merican" thing? The difference is even found within the U.S...  Soccer is huge in ultraliberal cities like Portland.

I'm pretty indifferent this year, but I'm usually very into the U.S. games. There are a couple of "Soccer Bars" around where it's fun to watch the U.S.... Huge cheers, everyone celebrating together when we score, etc.

Agree with camp, though. watching U.S. Open Golf right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Yeah. But Kansas City too. Heartland.

We have the whole American exceptionalism idea that contrasts with the fact that we are not all that great at soccer.  Probably still decades away from *maybe* competing at a real high level. So it’s easier just to scoff or ignore......focus on sports that we play and the rest of the world ignores (like futbol Americano and Nascar).

You need to choose a team and become a fan. Go to the bar. Get swept up in the moment.  

At least dudes who watch golf on tv aren’t exactly in a position to claim how “boring” soccer is. 🍺
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I like baseball, too, and people call that boring.

I watch English Premier League on some Saturday mornings. I kinda root for Chelsea because they were my Uncle's favorite team before he passed.

Sometime in my life, I'd like to live in England for 6 months and become a superfan of the local club team. Unfortunately, the EPL  is smack dab in the middle of ski season.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Baseball is so boring that I prefer to listen to it on the radio.....pretend that I am 8 years old and on a camping trip with my grandfather.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I listened to hockey on the radio as a kid under the covers with an earphone when I was supposed to be sleeping. Mostly only if it was Rangers and Bruins.

When the Mets were good in the late 80s I listened to them on radio too.  I moved to radio because I couldn't stand Tim McCarver on TV. He was a Met announcer and he was alway giving them shit.

There is so much baseball that radio allows you to get other things done at the same time, like yard work or whatever.  Also with radio the announcers are forced to stick to the facts so they don't go off rambling on a bunch of crap. Like Tim McCarver.

Soccer is tough for me. That goal that dude bent around the blockers on the penalty shot was awesome, I watched it a dozen times. But you just never know when to pay attention. I don't like the way the fans have no idea how much time is left. It kills a lot of the excitement.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp