classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

World's 100 Best Ski Runs

Highpeaksdrifter
From CNN travel

http://us.cnn.com/2014/01/13/travel/worlds-best-ski-runs/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

Check out #7
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: World's 100 Best Ski Runs

ScottyJack

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I can't really trust the opinion of any one that writes an article suggesting there is a five meter drop into MRG's Paradise. Five feet, maybe...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
riverc0il wrote
I can't really trust the opinion of any one that writes an article suggesting there is a five meter drop into MRG's Paradise. Five feet, maybe...
I'm betting the guy who wrote the article never skied it.

Quite a list, and very cool for Skyward to be on it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I've dropped into paradise at probably between 3 and 4 meters but I had to duck the rope and was missing about 1.5 inches of edge off my Olin Ultra Slaloms (segmented edges...couldn't fix that)  when I finished.   But also skied it the day that my avatar was taken and one of my daughters said "I thought we had to drop over a waterfall...yeah it was that deep...awesome to see Skyward that high on the list...Hope to ski it tomorrow (but probably not)
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Whiteface didn't get the top 86 spots? Outrageous!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
its about a 4- 5 foot drop into paradise and its a hard landing.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
This is just a list of 100 great runs...not the hardest,  but a great collection of runs ...many of them world classic.

I did a quick look, but I can say I've skied at maybe 25-28 of these runs. There are some names I didn't recognized and some that aren't on the ski map, so I wasn't really sure.

Regarding the 5 meter drop...not sure if he's talking about the waterfall or the fact that mayb the 1st 5-meter is sharp drop (which I would agree).
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
now we're talking smack!!

http://snowbrains.com/10-intense-runs-usa/
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
ScottyJack wrote
I've never stood on the lip at Corbet's (or skied JH), but I'd have to think it takes some serious sack to initiate the drop into it.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
I've never stood on the lip at Corbet's (or skied JH), but I'd have to think it takes some serious sack to initiate the drop into it.
Just got back from Jackson Hole Wednesday. Wanted to ski Corbet's, but the Tram line was too long one day and it was closed the second day because there was absolutely zero visibility.

I guess I'll have to go back . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40

There are a few swear words in this one. I'm not sure I could do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Always good to have a reason to go back, mattchuck.

The mental part of the drop as you're standing on the lip looks like the hardest part, IMO.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
And I suppose that you could just say to yourself, "well, if a dog can do it, I can do it!"

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote
And I suppose that you could just say to yourself, "well, if a dog can do it, I can do it!"

Oh if only that were true ---- can't tell you how many times i've fallen off the couch!!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Raymo40
The ladies tee doesn't look that bad. In that profanity video... the guy drops in and easily checks to a full stop a little ways below the lip, done with poor form no less. I had assumed once your in, you are going full speed and can't stop. I'm sure base depth and conditions create a lot of variation.

Hopefully I'll have better luck than Matt next month. We'll have four days to make it happen so that should increase our chances of a good day. I'll do my best to man up and drop it quick rather than gaping at it while dropping F bombs like that guy in the video did. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS

Don't end up like this guy. Current conditions look a bit stiff.

(from the JH FB Page)
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I guess I'll have to go back . . .
That's what I said when I got back from my Wonderful 13 days 8 areas trip back in 2006. The last year of the original tram and 4-days at JH.

I also wanted to ski Corbet, but hardpack followed by storm conditions, low visibility, skiing solo, not seeing anyone else trying it and the fact that I was middle of my trip (didn't want to risk some stupid back injury) made me put it off for another trip. That was 7 years ago...or month #4 for those keeping track.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography