Worst Lift Ride Ever

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Worst Lift Ride Ever

snoloco
I spent 45+ minutes on the South Peak Express at Mountain Creek today when it crapped out due to ice.  It ran until I got to tower 2 and then it stopped.  Then it started again, moved about an inch and stopped again.  This process repeated many times and the lift even went backwards 3 times.  I started to get motion sick because the thing bounced violently every time it stopped and started.  The two guys on the chair behind me jumped off halfway up.  I almost jumped off too.  By the time I arrived at the top I was coated in ice because of the constant freezing r*in that was falling.  Even worse, when they had to bang the ice off my chair grip so that it wouldn't jam the lift when it hit the opening rail, all the ice fell right on me.  Then my chair did get jammed in the rail and they backed it up when I was 5 feet away from the unloading ramp.  More ice fell on me as they knocked the rest of it off.  When I finally got off, I shouted "free at last!"  I have never been so glad to get off a ski lift in my 10 years of skiing.  They did give me a $10 lunch voucher at the top and I used it as soon as I got back to the bottom for a break.  Has anyone else had lift experiences worse than this?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Worst Lift Ride Ever

Z
I've been evac'ed - it gets worse.  It could have been actually cold.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
My worst experience was on the Topridge chair at Gore Mountain. It can be very windy at the top. It was about 5 below and the wind was ripping.  Foolishly I allowed my wife to sit on the left (windward) side of the chair.  It stopped for what seemed like an extremely long time although it was probably less then ten minutes.  She cried and I felt so helpless.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I've been evac'ed - it gets worse.  It could have been actually cold.
It definitely could be worse.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I watched that ^^ on a flight a while back: worst movie ever. That 90-second trailer is basically the entire story. Was supposed to take place at a ski area in the northeast, but you can see that it's Snowbasin in Utah.

Snoloco, you win the "thank you sir, may I have another?" award by skiing so much at Mountain Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
The scenario from that cheezy Frozen movie actually happened at West Mountain 20 years ago.  2 skiers were stranded on the triple chairlift for 12 hours overnight.  They were found at 4:30 the next morning, temps had dropped to 8 degrees overnight.  The skiers were OK.

Newspaper account
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Adk Jeff wrote
The scenario from that cheezy Frozen movie actually happened at West Mountain 20 years ago.  2 skiers were stranded on the triple chairlift for 12 hours overnight.  They were found at 4:30 the next morning, temps had dropped to 8 degrees overnight.  The skiers were OK.

Newspaper account
That is insane.  Guess the practice of flipping chairs did not happen back then...

Reply | Threaded
|

ski2moro
In reply to this post by snoloco
I was evacuated from a lift at Nubs Nob in Michigan.  I had been having the best day of skiing and didn't want it to end, as this was going to be the last day of skiing that year.  

It was an old double chair with no safety bar.  After they determined that they could not get it going again, the ski patrol came skiing down to us. Their first words: "Don't jump!"   Well duh.  We were about 25-30 feet off the ground.  

The ski patrol instructed me to throw down my poles, take off my skis, throw them down, and then climb down a ladder system that they had thrown over the cable.   As each person left the chair and grabbed the ladder, the cable and all the chairs started swinging and bouncing.  

Horrible way to end the season.
If you are having fun, you are doing it right.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I banged off a tower while riding the M1 lift at Smuggs ---- I had to change my diaper once we got to the top
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Opps. There should of been some free lifetime passes for this.