Would you want to run a ski area?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Would you want to run a ski area?

Brownski
I find it curious that so many people think working at a mountain would ruin skiing for them. When I worked at Alpine as a lift operator, almost everybody in the department skied every day. Not only did we ski to get around the mountain for work but most people packed a lunch and skied on our breaks too. When I worked at Killington there were more people for whom it was just a job but when I finished my overnight with the snowmaking department, I almost always skied for at least an hour. In NYS, more people seem to be there just for the job (shitty upstate economy or else real ski bums aren't attracted to NY I guess). When I see somebody running a lift looking miserable or, God forbid, downloading instead of skiing, I just shake my head. Working at a ski mountain is one of the most fun things I ever did. If it paid anything approaching a decent living, I might go back. When I can arrange my life so that I have time go take the training, I want to join patrol somewhere (Plattekill is my first choice of course). It certainly didn't ruin skiing for me.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
 and I'd install the most awesome stereo system in it with glass bending bass. Just light up and make courdoroy all night. Yeah.
At around $400,000 a piece, they definitely already come with a 7 speaker Bose sound system.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
In reply to this post by Brownski
Nothing wrong with working on a ski hill.

When the lifts don't spin.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Seems like running a small family resort or small hotel would take the same level of effort as running a ski area. It would seem to me to be a labor of love more than anything else. Has anyone considered doing this? I'm talking about running a facility located in a thriving ski town on the east coast.

Maybe the subject of a new topic titled, "Would you want to run a family resort or lodge in a thriving ski town/village".
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Funny how nobody has mentioned a golf course yet. That sport is dead. But, I might put one in, maybe nine holes, and turn that over to professional management, with another stipulation. I get to do the mowing on one of those big ass tractor mowers. You know, the ones with an enclosed cab and the retractable side cutters. Yeah. Air conditioned and a monster stereo. Nice. Groom all winter, mow all summer. Heaven.
Just make sure your groomer and your mower both have a beer holder.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I think Aaron the GM at WF skis way more than most GMs and I think that is a good thing
I agree with this 100%. No-one knows the mountain like people who ski it everyday.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"