Wow, what a POW Day!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wow, what a POW Day!

telerider
Telerider checking in for the first time this season.  After finally taking the plunge becomming part time residents here in North Creek this summer, today paid off big time.  The snow today was as good as I can remember in the East and I would even rank it in the top 10 of powder days when me and the Mrs. lived in Colorado.  I'm sure I looked funny skiing my Pocket Rockets on the ice the last five days here at Gore, but man, was I loving life today!  I saw a few NYskibloggers while in line at High Peaks lift, so I hope others tell their tales of an awesome day!  Today was as much snow as I can remember in the woods and it was so much fun to watch the other "locals" use the closed ropes as mere suggestions.  When I saw a coach bring his freestyle kids under the rope at Straighbrook glades I started to get the picture.  Glad to finally be up here this season and hope to burn a few turns with fellow NYbloggers soon.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wow, what a POW Day!

Benny Profane
cool.

Do you think the trees will be skiable on Sunday? Especially if it freshens up on Saturday? hint hint
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Trees were definitely skiable today, so they should be Saturday, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by telerider
telerider wrote
  Today was as much snow as I can remember in the woods and it was so much fun to watch the other "locals" use the closed ropes as mere suggestions.  
Don't be surprised if you run across a Patroller who is also a NY State Police officer who hands you a citation for violating Article 18 of NYS code. Some patrollers will look the other way, some will alert mountain management - they may pull your ticket or season pass, some are law enforcement officers who have a sworn obligation to enforce state law. The risk is up to you.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Just looked at the code. Can't imagine it would be possible to ticket people for violating one aspect ("not to ski on a slope or trail designated as "closed" by the ski are operator), and ignore the other parts. For instance, apparently you have to "report ANY personal injury to the ski area operator before leaving the ski area". I cut my finger getting my boot on yesterday and didn't report it. So, technically, I broke the same law as all of those other people did by ducking those ropes
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
telerider wrote
  Today was as much snow as I can remember in the woods and it was so much fun to watch the other "locals" use the closed ropes as mere suggestions.  
Don't be surprised if you run across a Patroller who is also a NY State Police officer who hands you a citation for violating Article 18 of NYS code. Some patrollers will look the other way, some will alert mountain management - they may pull your ticket or season pass, some are law enforcement officers who have a sworn obligation to enforce state law. The risk is up to you.

Well, just consider the absurdity of all that. A taxpayer funded ski area posting a well paid state employee in the woods of said ski/recreational area to ticket a citizen for enjoying oneself in a well marked portion of that facility.
I really think the NY state police have much better things to do. Well, I hope they do. You never know.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I collect A18 "tickets"

really no biggie
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
telerider wrote
Uhhhhhh...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
so dd witch one r u ,,a kind of look the other way kinda guy,i wood hope..but im guessing no.
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
The problem really isn't the locals, or probably most folks who read this blog. It's the idiots who watch a couple Warren  Miller flicks (and their equally idiot kids), get a wild hair, and follow some cool-looking tracks into the woods and have no idea where they are. We swept Pine Knot twice Thursday because kids kept popping out from Pinebrook and Cave well after they'd been closed. They stated they had no idea where they were or how they got there. If we'd gone ahead with normal closure after the first sweep there's a good chance Summit sweep would have missed them them entirely and Top Ridge would have closed before they got there. If they had half a clue they would have gone out Tannery, maybe. If they were resourceful they'd break into the lift shack and cry for help...then some other state employee would bag some overtime coming up to get them.
Let 'em suffer? Yeah, that's okay and I believe in survival of the fittest too. Unfortunately the d-bags have lawyers who don't flinch at suing the State at the drop of a hat...that's YOUR tax dollars every year (A WHOLE lot more money than the aforementioned state employee gets paid) spent defending against frivolous lawsuits...largely as a result of self-induced mayhem.
Yeah, ducking ropes, it's cool and fun and the hot chicks dig it. But there's a price.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
bean valley wrote
Yeah, ducking ropes, it's cool and fun and the hot chicks dig it. But there's a price.
What are these mythical hot chicks you speak of? I must be skiing with the wrong rope duckers!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
What are these mythical hot chicks you speak of? I must be skiing with the wrong rope duckers!
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by outlaw 1
outlaw 1 wrote
so dd witch one r u ,,a kind of look the other way kinda guy,i wood hope..but im guessing no.
Come ski with me and you will find out.
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
ummm,no thankyou
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Well, just consider the absurdity of all that. A taxpayer funded ski area posting a well paid state employee in the woods of said ski/recreational area to ticket a citizen for enjoying oneself in a well marked portion of that facility.
I really think the NY state police have much better things to do. Well, I hope they do. You never know.
Consider that Gore as well as many other areas have volunteer patrollers who are not paid by the mountain and in some cases their day job is law enforcement, whether it be at the State or local level, some are DEC and many have the authority to write tickets whether or not they are working their day job. It is a rare thing to happen but it can.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by bean valley
bean valley wrote
The problem really isn't the locals, or probably most folks who read this blog. It's the idiots who watch a couple Warren  Miller flicks (and their equally idiot kids), get a wild hair, and follow some cool-looking tracks into the woods and have no idea where they are. We swept Pine Knot twice Thursday because kids kept popping out from Pinebrook and Cave well after they'd been closed. They stated they had no idea where they were or how they got there. If we'd gone ahead with normal closure after the first sweep there's a good chance Summit sweep would have missed them them entirely and Top Ridge would have closed before they got there. If they had half a clue they would have gone out Tannery, maybe. If they were resourceful they'd break into the lift shack and cry for help...then some other state employee would bag some overtime coming up to get them.
Let 'em suffer? Yeah, that's okay and I believe in survival of the fittest too. Unfortunately the d-bags have lawyers who don't flinch at suing the State at the drop of a hat...that's YOUR tax dollars every year (A WHOLE lot more money than the aforementioned state employee gets paid) spent defending against frivolous lawsuits...largely as a result of self-induced mayhem.

Well, OK, great rant, but, really, find me hot chicks who dig it, please. Which, well, takes us into a Freudian thing that, really, I can't even start to apply to poaching. No way that's the thrill. It's different.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

bean valley
It's a zen thing; you can't find them, they have to find you...good luck with that.  ;^)
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Dude, this place is crawling with patrollers!
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
Idiot rope-duckers give us informed rope-duckers a bad name.

Whatever ropes were up Saturday AM were definitely treated as "suggestions..." I just like to think that I was helping patrol out by verifying coverage was good....
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan

SIAWOL wrote
Whatever ropes were up Saturday AM were definitely treated as "suggestions..." I just like to think that I was helping patrol out by verifying coverage was good....
FYI - the rope on Rumor was up for a reason, high Avalanche potential.