XCD skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XCD skis

Jack
I saw that there were a few XCD threads, but they are a few years old so I thought I'd make a new one.

I think I'd like to get a XCD setup, otherwise known as cross country downhill. I have a pair of Fischer Spider 62 waxless skis with NNNBC boots. I find that I can handle moderate downhills in those, but on steeps, variable conditions, and powder they aren't the best. I have trouble tele turning and stopping isn't too easy at speed, especially in the woods. I'd like to get a pair of wider, metal edged, waxless skis that I can use with my current telemark boots (75mm). Eventually I'd probably want another smaller lighter plastic boot but I'll try everything out on my current boots.

I'm an intermediate/new tele skier and an expert level alpine skier. I live in Rochester, NY. There aren't huge mountains here but there are lots of places with 100ft hills with good pitch where I don't feel like using skins every 5 minutes. About an hour south there is 1000 ft vertical. I'm 180lb and 5'11”.

Does anyone have any recommendations on skis or bindings to get? Any recommendations on ski size based on where I live? Places to get skis? I'm totally ok with used. A local bike shop sells what I'm looking for, and they have a few options. All on sale at 30% off and equally priced.
Madshus Annums
Madshus Epochs
Fischer S-bound 112
Fischer S-bound 98
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: XCD skis

BRLKED
I would also check out Voile, I,m your height and 165 lbs and ski a 180 Vector with my T2s. It is a great climbing ski and very capable downhill. Check out the Charger thread, great stoke about what you're interested in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jack
Yeah I've looked at their website. It looks like most of their skis are around $700, vs maybe $250 at the shop with the sale. I might get one of their bindings though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Jack
I got a chance to try the V6s recently and they are great.

My skis are Rossi BC 110s. They are more of an XC ski, camber, kick and glide but turny too.  I like them:

https://nyskiblog.com/wide-waxless-backcountry-skis/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jack
Thanks Harvey. I've read both of those write ups in your links and they are a good source of information.

The main thing I'm unsure about is whether to get skis of the size of your Rossi BC 110s or to get the next model down in size. How do they handle in non-powder conditions? I'd probably want to use them for all kinds of conditions: powder, crusty old snow, packed down snow/hiker ice, and sledding hills.

Any thoughts on length?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I have the S-Bound 112, from a few years ago For a ski with a lot of camber, they climb really well and do like big open turns in deep snow. They might be a bit wide if you are skiing more on packed trails but they are a reliable, well-made, backbush explorer.

The Annums are theoretically the same ski as the much-loved Karhu Guide. They fill the same niche as the 112s but are a bit softer and turn easier. Strangely, they don't seem to climb as well. I think Fischer has used some special voodoo and combined flex and a superior fishscale pattern. Telemark Dave may have a more detailed opinion, he skied the Guides a lot before getting Charger BCs.

I'm 5'8", float between 165 and 170 lbs and have the 179 cm S-Bound. They seem like just the right size for me.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Fischer scales go out and the guides go in. Or may be that is reversed.  I find my 10 mountain division climb better and the s-bounds have a lot better glide.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I have the S-Bound 112, from a few years ago For a ski with a lot of camber, they climb really well and do like big open turns in deep snow. They might be a bit wide if you are skiing more on packed trails but they are a reliable, well-made, backbush explorer.

The Annums are theoretically the same ski as the much-loved Karhu Guide. They fill the same niche as the 112s but are a bit softer and turn easier. Strangely, they don't seem to climb as well. I think Fischer has used some special voodoo and combined flex and a superior fishscale pattern. Telemark Dave may have a more detailed opinion, he skied the Guides a lot before getting Charger BCs.

I'm 5'8", float between 165 and 170 lbs and have the 179 cm S-Bound. They seem like just the right size for me.
The Guides/Annums are (or were) the vanguard of "fat" XCD fishscale skis, they've certainly been surpassed in technology by Voile and a few others, but they are still excellent "where will you ski today" type schwack skis....great for your local city park hills, or a golf course, or even a preseason ski area....the only caveat is that they do not like icy, crusty hardscrabble conditions....they're just too soft all around.    I'd be looking at the skinniest Voiles with fishscales if I were you, or the Rossi BC series.    My two sense.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.