classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Zermatt, CH: July '10

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
here are just  a few pics .. i will post more and write a bit when I get back ..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Euro trip

Jamesdeluxe
Going to the Alps in the summer (without being able to stay through the winter) would be absolute torture for me.  I'd just look at the mountains and try to picture them covered with snow.

When we went to Maui on our honeymoon, we spent a day at the 10,000-vert volcano "Haleakala."  I spent most of the time imagining where lifts could go and plotting skiable lines down the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I just love being in the mountains. Winter is the preferable season, but sitting on our balcony eating dinner with the Matterhorn as our background ain't all that bad...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Now for  a change from touring castles and the city..Zoe and I went skiing. Zermatt  is home to the largest summer skiing area in Europe..Just a quick description of the conditions ..Perfect corn under deep blue skies..The skiing isn't very difficult, but at 12.5 k ft., it is challenging. 2k vertical of perfectly groomed wide open runs..

Zoe and I at the top of Klien Matterhorn

Zoe skiing

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Summer skiing. Yowza.

Jason - I think you need to travel with a full time photog.

I'll do it - if expenses - lift tickets, lodging and expensive meals - are included.

Did you guys rent all your gear? Just bring your boots?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I can only upload the pics from one camera since i forgot the other cables
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Zermatt

JasonWx

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Zermatt, CH: July '10

Frank718
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Ok, Zermatt looks great. But why the visit to Utah beach? Of all the things to do and see in France, you went all the way up to Normandy to see... Utah beach? Why not Cap d'Antibes for the beach and beauty? Why not Les Landes for... more beach and beauty? Why not the Camargue for a corrida? Ain't my business to ask, really, but do you have a personal connection to the area?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Good question. For most of my teenage and adult life I have been a big WW2 buff. It has been a dream of mine to walk on and see the D-Day invasion beaches. So my daughter and I went  to all the major beaches and sites..Omaha Beach, Utah, Point de huc etc...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
JasonWx wrote
 It has been a dream of mine to walk on and see the D-Day invasion beaches.
Are you such a WWII buff that you recognized certain topographic features along the beaches from what you've read or watched on TV?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Some of the features on the beach such as the draws or cut in the sand dunes that lead inland, have changed over time. But plenty of churches and building that were significant in the battle still remain and are easily recognizable.
"Peace and Love"