11 messages Options
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

advice on boots

sig
This post was updated on .
i am looking to purchase a pair of scarpa freedom boots with a walk mode setting.
i plan on dabbling in some back country skiing and really don't want to own 2 pair of boots.
i will do 80% of my skiing at a resort on my traditional downhill setup, not  my AT gear.
i am looking for some feedback from those using similar boots. i spend most of the
day in the glades. are these type boots really meant for resort skiing meaning lots
of runs in a day?  anyone's experience good or bad would be appreciated. thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: advice on boots

Marcski
No first hand beta on the Scarpas, but I have been skiing on BD Factor 130's for the past 6 or so years.   (Picked up a 2nd liner a year or two ago and I am about ready to put my 3rd pair of sole blocks on).  They are great.  I love the fit and they ski great!  Like you, I do most of my skiing in the resort.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by sig
freedom's are nice boots, too stiff for me at 150 lbs though and for how i like to ski.

I've had 6ish pairs of scarpa's and have no complaints about the lineup at all, i've also tried comparable bc, dynafit, and garmont at boots. they're great boots, and quite affordable for the quality. my only gripe is that they don't last as long as traditional boots. i don't think i ever killed a pair of regular alpine boots but have definitely mangled at boots. I tore a cough, ruined inserts, all kinds of stuff. there's definitely more stress involved in working a walk mode up and down, so plan on getting maybe a season less out of them if you ski a lot.

Another thing to know about the freedom's are that they have a rockered sole, so you'll need a sliding afd to ski safely with them inbounds, if that's what you're mostly trying to do.

Lastly, scarpas change shells on the half size, so you may want to consider that if you're between a 27 or 27.5, for instance.

if you have any other questions, feel free to ask but if they fit your foot (by far the most important thing) I think you'll be happy with them.

the factors are also nice in the same way, but i hate the liner compared to the intuition, so i'd just be paying to replace that (unless they took care of it by now)

good luck
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
ml242 thanks for your comments. they r trying to sell me size 28.5 but my toe is right
up against the liner. salesperson claims that is how it should fit. i like to lock my foot in
but want to wiggle my toes. its hard to get info in these boots. they are the red headed
step child to the  freedom SL.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
it's a tough call, when you flex do they open up enough so you can wiggle your toes? if so, I'd say they are most likely correct. When you bake the liners throw a couple toe caps on and you should have plenty of room. That's how i like my boots anyway, enough room to wiggle but with the heel locked in tight. But it's also a great time to buy, so make sure to try on the bd factor. and the nordica hell and back. and the tecnica.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/black-diamond-equipment-factor-130-at-ski-boots-for-men-and-women~p~5640t/?utm_source=GooglePLAs&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Black_Diamond_Equipment_Factor_130_AT_Ski_Boots_For_Men_and_Women&utm_campaign=PCGOOGLES5¤cy=USD&codes-processed=true

plus 7% off from active junky with this referral: http://bit.ly/1DVfMl0

just saying!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
My AT boot is a dynafit titan.  I think it's a similar boot, though slightly older.  I bought it used on TGR for $50.

My everday alpine boot is a Head Raptor that I got from Sports Page...a true plug boot.  Such a precise and awesome fit.

At first, I thought there was no way the Titan would ski well...so I cranked everything down until my feet hurt...and I hated it.  Once I realized I didn't need to do that, I've been really happy with the way it skis.    I use it with a Kastle FX 104.  Does it ski like my Raptor?  No...but it does ski well.  In general, I'm not skiing as fast when I'm on it..but I think it could handle some high speeds without much difficulty.

I think the Freedom should probably be a better boot than the titan, in every sense.  I wouldn't go to big...because you can always make room for your toes, but you can't really make a boot smaller.

However, the Freedom is an expensive boot. I might suggest finding something for cheap, and seeing if you like it...if you don't, then you haven't really wasted any money.  I think it's good to keep a dedicated alpine boot..and then my touring boot isn't that expensive..but who knows.  I could see the Titan (or the Freedom) being a great everyday boot.  Seems to work for Dav, so.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
thanks for the info.  each time i ski and keep putting on my worn out alpine boot i wonder what the hell i am doing.
it should of been retired last year. i found the freedom 1/2 price so i could probably swing an alpine boot next year if i am not happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
get em baked and enjoy.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Resurrecting this one, as I'm eyeing a pair of AT boots.  Looking forward to putting my AT setup to proper use this year.  May turns in Tucks were great, but there wasn't enough coverage to don skins and play on the uphill.

As for my current gear, I do have Hell and Back Hike Exps.  While I can use them with the Barons, and I'm sure the walk mode would be helpful on the uphill, touring boots they are not.  They are made for alpine downhill, and weigh accordingly.

Got my eye on a pair of BD Factor Mx.  BD overhauled the Factor, gave it a new liner (much better, but still not as good as the Intuition, or so I read) and a wider range of motion.  130 progressive flex, with more lateral stiffness than other AT boots given its design.  While this is an AT boot, it's burly for an AT boot with its stiff flex.  To accomplish that it's also heavier than many other AT boot at about 4 pounds per.

So, this would be a great boot to use at the resort, and at a pound per boot less than my Nordicas they would be friendlier when touring the BC.  So, anyone have any experience with the Mx?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
JTG4eva! wrote
Got my eye on a pair of BD Factor Mx.  BD overhauled the Factor, gave it a new liner (much better, but still not as good as the Intuition, or so I read) and a wider range of motion.  130 progressive flex, with more lateral stiffness than other AT boots given its design.  While this is an AT boot, it's burly for an AT boot with its stiff flex.  To accomplish that it's also heavier than many other AT boot at about 4 pounds per.

So, this would be a great boot to use at the resort, and at a pound per boot less than my Nordicas they would be friendlier when touring the BC.  So, anyone have any experience with the Mx?
I am currently riding 2011 BD Quadrants.  Definitely not same boot as the Factor, but I can say the performance across the board has exceeded my expectations.  Both uphill and downhill, I don't think you can go wrong with a BD boot.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Update.  I did pick up the Factor Mx.  Brand new for $350 on eBay.   Always a risk on eBay, but brand new in the box and fit just fine.  The ski shop took the mold on Saturday and I'm waiting for the owner to finish the custom foot beds.  Should be headed in Thursday to have him mold the liners and make final fit adjustments.  Excited to break them in this weekend.  Timing is right, as my older son grew out of the boots we bought him last year and handing down my Hell and Back Hikes to him will save me some scratch.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!