apex boot systems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

apex boot systems

JamesP
I am curious if anyone has a review of the Apex Boot systems, they feature a snowboard type boot that  tightens with steel cables and fits into a plastic shell to make it a ski boot. There is a dealer in Hunter that sells them, and I've talked to skiers in the lodge who have them almost all positive reviews. they say they are warm and more comfortable than traditional boots with no loss of function.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: apex boot systems

K man
There are a couple patrollers at Gore who love them.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by JamesP
I did a quick demo in Jan.  Bottom line is that they worked about the same as my alpine boots as far as control went.  Only did a couple short runs (<3 min each) since it was getting late in the afternoon of a demo day.  Plus they were too tight around my calves because I've got relatively short legs. I used demo skis that were the same as what I own for Mid-Atlantic and northeast skiing, 78 underfoot.

The Apex rep was at Massanutten because he works with the ski shop in Charlottesville, VA that does the annual Demo weekend.  Freestyle has been carrying Apex boots for a few years.  The rep covers Europe as well and has been with the company for 5+ years, perhaps as much as 10 years.  So he knows the product well.

There are a lot of adjustments possible, in addition to heat molding the liner.

Even though the frame has gotten a lot smaller as Apex refined the design, it's still noticeable longer than a regular alpine boot.  For me, that would mean a BSL about 10 longer.  That means moving fixed bindings.
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
bought a pair at the Pro in Hunter, have used them at Jackson Hole in heavy powder and Hunter,  very comfortable, and after a day or two easy to get the frame over the inner boot. No loss of function at all. Of course I am not racing but simply recreational skiing. All I can say is no hot spots, easy to put on, no pain, and warm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
They sound to be as comfy as tele boots.