classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

climbing skins failed to stick

sig
I was earning some turns yesterday and my skins did not hold up. the first run of the day everything functioned well. it was actually extremely difficult to pull them apart that first time. but as the day went on they would not stick at all. I had to jerry rig them for the hike out. was this caused by the severe cold ( 8 degrees) or are they on there way out? is there a fix or should they be replaced? all my equipment was taking a hit as the day wore on. zippers, snaps, water bottles. it was damn cold.

thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: climbing skins failed to stick

ScottyJack
How did u store them during skiing? In pack or stuffed in your coat?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
You can put new glue on them.  It's kind of messy but works.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
How did u store them during skiing? In pack or stuffed in your coat?
they were in my pack most of the day. i put them inside my coat for last run. it made a difference and helped me climb out. it was tough dealing with the cold. water bottle in back pack froze.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Skin Glue + xtra cold weather = eventual fail.  If you've lost some glue it's easy to touch them up.   Google Andrew Mcleans videos on regluing skins.  It's easy peasy. We do it all the time here because of A) cold weather, and B) YoYo skiing on low vert hills.  It takes its toll on the glue.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig

just finished applying the glue. holly toxic batman. i'm going to grab a beer and enjoy the buzz