hotel advice for races Gore Windham West & Bristol

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hotel advice for races Gore Windham West & Bristol

ScottyJack
Jimmy O'Connor's.  Nice Irish Bar with motel rooms outback.  about half mile from the mtn.  Jimbo's favorite Windham bar.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
ATTN HPD

That place looks very cool and is a nice location for Elm Ridge mtn bike trails.  Thanks for the heads up bro.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Coach...when you go to Windham try this place:

www.hammosbrewpubandlodge.com/
checked out the web site - looks like a great place

booked rooms for the two trips to Windham my son will make this year - $100 a night seems pretty reasonable for a place 3 miles from the skiing.  Brand new from the sound of it

HPD seems to have some inside beta on this one - thanks

I do. My daughter is the desk manager there and her husband is the brew master and head chief. The owner bought the building in foreclosure and put a ton of money into it.  They're not done yet, they plan on even more improvements and expansion. I think you'll like it.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
ATTN HPD

That place looks very cool and is a nice location for Elm Ridge mtn bike trails.  Thanks for the heads up bro.
Have you ever ridden Elm Ridge? Is it any good?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I've never stayed at black mountain, but have always heard good things. The restaurant is good.

Dillon Hill cabins/B&B is a nice place that I have stayed at but is probably a bit more than black mountain.

tom
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
thanks for all the advice

I booked Black Mt at Gore, Hammo's at Windam, and Comfort Inn for Bristol / HH depending which champs series he qualifies for.

I'll do TR's for these trips and include comments on the lodging.  Windam is my fav in the Cats so that will be a good trip and I always like to ski Gore.  The best part of the Gore 3 day is that its a speed camp for the first two days followed by a Super G.  I can just ski for the first two days with no race to watch.  He is really psyched about getting to race SG this year.

I talked my son into day tripping the one day Gore and West races to save money.  

I have not skied Bristol but it looks decent on the map with 1200 vert that looks like its continous.  Who can tell me about Bristol?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
ScottyJack wrote
ATTN HPD

Have you ever ridden Elm Ridge? Is it any good?
Yep!  

It's Hardy Road on steroids.  15 miles of awesome single track.  Def going back next season.  A good weekend trip be Elm and then lift services at Windham.  Windham has two amazing flow trails that do not require the need for a DH rig. The ADK Mtn club built at Elm and are building at another zone down there about 20 minutes closer to Hunter.  It was old school rocky stuff but awesome.  Forget the name...  That place you posted about is in an excellent location for Elm Ridge.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnny V.
OK, here's the nickel tour of Bristol: Two lodges with a 3rd "special events" building where they direct race groups to. Two high speed quads, 1 fixed grip quad, 1 fixed grip triple (used as backup and run on very busy weekends) and one fixed grip double. Claimed vertical is 1200'. Six continuous top to bottom runs, with a green long loop and a beginner/ low intermediate trail pod in back, and a few other trails. The race hill is Comet with a decently steep top, a flat with a dogleg to the left then another drop to the finish-run time for good racers is about +/- 60 seconds depending on the course set.

Pluses: Great snowmaking and grooming. Most trails have fan guns that can really crank out the snow. and the groomers do a good job of providing a smooth surface. The HSQs allow for quite a few runs in a short time. The trails, while somewhat "boulevarded" offer decent variety for a day's visit.

Minuses: Grooming-if you're a mogul fan, there's not usually too many. No official glades, although us "fixtures" know where to go if there is enough snow. No village or nightlife-the bar is usually closed by 10:00, but there is a dive down the road about a mile. Nothing with any scare factor to ski, although this is typical of all Central and WNY ski areas.

I've been a passholder there for 20 + years, so am happy to answer anyone's questions about the hill as best I can.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Bar closed by 10?  Must have nigh skiing then
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnny V.
Big night skiing business. Mon-Fri are school groups, and Saturday/ Sunday are "family fun nights" where a family can get 3 tickets for $75.00 or so. Not a good time to be on the green slopes!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Johnny V.
Johnny V. wrote
OK, here's the nickel tour of Bristol: Two lodges with a 3rd "special events" building where they direct race groups to. Two high speed quads, 1 fixed grip quad, 1 fixed grip triple (used as backup and run on very busy weekends) and one fixed grip double. Claimed vertical is 1200'. Six continuous top to bottom runs, with a green long loop and a beginner/ low intermediate trail pod in back, and a few other trails. The race hill is Comet with a decently steep top, a flat with a dogleg to the left then another drop to the finish-run time for good racers is about +/- 60 seconds depending on the course set.

Pluses: Great snowmaking and grooming. Most trails have fan guns that can really crank out the snow. and the groomers do a good job of providing a smooth surface. The HSQs allow for quite a few runs in a short time. The trails, while somewhat "boulevarded" offer decent variety for a day's visit.

Minuses: Grooming-if you're a mogul fan, there's not usually too many. No official glades, although us "fixtures" know where to go if there is enough snow. No village or nightlife-the bar is usually closed by 10:00, but there is a dive down the road about a mile. Nothing with any scare factor to ski, although this is typical of all Central and WNY ski areas.

I've been a passholder there for 20 + years, so am happy to answer anyone's questions about the hill as best I can.
"Johhny V to the white courtesy phone. Johnny V to the white courtesy phone."

Bro would you be willing to take a shot a the Bristol profile for the NYSB Directory?

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Bristol-Mountain-td4642509.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnny V.
Not sure I'm in the "Bro" category, but I'll do my best. I'll try to have it done before the season begins.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks Johnny!  You can check out the other examples or PM me with questions.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Z
Hi Coach - I lived near Geneseo for a year for a job.  The Big Tree Inn can be a little pricey, but it is very nice.  There is also a chain about a half-mile from the main street (I can't remember the name) that is totally fine.  Good luck.  I think I"ve stayed at both places (I say think because the chain was well over 10 years ago).