3 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

interesting piece on global warming's effect on certain ski areas

Z
http://www.theactivetimes.com/endangered-ski-areas

I don't want to get into the global warming debate but to me this writer made some suspect conclusions on targets to be affected.  Killington has high elevation and snowmaking might so they should be fine.  Sugarloaf has elevation, and is so far north - in fact last year in a bad snow year they did super well.  They also tend to catch the tail end of Noreaster's that miss the rest of New England.

It would seem that the Catskills and PA would be much more at risk.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: interesting piece on global warming's effect on certain ski areas

BenedictGomez
Coach Z wrote
I don't want to get into the global warming debate but to me this writer made some suspect conclusions
Yeah, such as definitively asserting that man-made Global Warming is occurring.

Bonus points for stating that Killington and Stowe will both be out of business within 25 years though, that was a nice touch for a late-night laugh.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: interesting piece on global warming's effect on certain ski areas

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Z
If the trend is for milder temps on average ski areas will need to make more snow, man made snow is much denser than natural so it takes longer to melt and can ride through the warmer temps longer. I use to live and ski in Virginia, the resort was about the size of West mountain, given them a week below freezing and they had the snow making to be open 100%. A few more weeks and they had a 4' base that would last through mid March. But for the last three weeks of the season conditions ranged from mash potatoes to kitty litter. They used a product called snowmax to increase the range of temps they make snow at as well as increase the efficiency of the process.