classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: just gunna leave this here....

Condor
Big D wrote
Half off Weekday and 25%off weekend. Same discount with a seasons pass from another mountain. Current lift tics are $54. So 1/2 off Friday is $27 and Sat/Sun would be $40.50

Yea, that!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Is that any season pass in the country?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

gkny
Benny Profane wrote
Is that any season pass in the country?
yes, "any lift ticket, season pass, discount card, or frequent skier card from any mountain"

passes you have to show, daily tickets from other mountains you have to surrender.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
On what day did they start this policy?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

gkny
Benny Profane wrote
On what day did they start this policy?
april 6:
http://www.killington.com/site/tickets/tickets_and_cards/special_offers
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Cool, thanks.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Benny when I went last May they were incredibly chill about it. I was in line for a ticket and realized everyone was getting the discount. Oh shit my passes were at home. The guy was like "do you have a pass?" Yea I forgot it. "No problem."  I think they just want a good crowd. It's really good marketing IMO. The umbrella bars are iconic. I hope they don't got back to a regular lodge.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
To go back to a regular lodge, Powdr would actually have to invest some money in Killington.  That's something that they seem very reluctant to do.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
OMG Kmart was awesome this weekend.     True, any season pass holder got 25% discount.   Basically that is 100% of folks as most of the skiers skiing this late are pass holders somewhere.    That said, they were checking passes pretty close, both days.  I actually felt bad for the ticket sellers.   In my short time purchasing tickets I think I heard every excuse for a cheaper ticket.    I work here, I do this, my dog ate my ticket.....common answer.....We can give you a discount for that reason, but our 25% discount will get you skiing cheaper.    End of argument.        

The $199 late season pass was the way to go this year.  I should have done it.    Spent $100 this week and will likely go back one or two more times.    

Will try to upload a trip report once I can get photos in a form I can use.  

BEST DEAL:   Albany Ski Club.      Sunday morning bus,  $10 bus ride and $30 ticket.    Ran into a fun bunch of folks, appears the bus ride is 25% of the fun.    

Reply | Threaded
|

CapnJazzHands
I went on Saturday, and since my Ski3 pass had gotten eaten by the lift on my last run at Belle this year, I didn't even try for the discount.  But the ticket lady gave me the discount anyway without my asking!  The day only got better from there. It was all moguls, empanadas, and $3.00 bottled beers.  My favorite runs were on Cascade - which was absolutely perfect, had great coverage, and wasn't attracting nearly as much traffic as Double Dipper.  Superstar was also riding really well, it's where I spent the end of the day running laps until I felt I was ready to call it for the season.   Up until this year, I hadn't been to Killington at all since the early 90s, but would definitely consider going back next year, especially in the Spring.  
Reply | Threaded
|

The tellers were inputting the name of the ski pass area.  I am sure they will use that info in their statistical analysis for ads etc.     Looks like the teller who did not ask, was all about efficiency and customer service.  That said, one can look at most of the customers at Kmart this weekend and see they were dedicated skiers.  

Talked to a local who works retail to get ski pass.    He advised the teller is incentivized to sell the $199 pass by kicking back $5.00 per sale.    The WIIFM concept.    He found he was getting lots of day sales but no year end pass sales.  He took a walk and found another retail shop guy was standing out front directing "single day" passes to his store and saying if you want the year end pass, come to my store.  America ingenuity.  

Locals are suggesting that Kmart may try for June 21st---SUMMER for advertising.    

The head wall is massive.  Massive I say.  The sort I have never seen before.   Maybe 45 feet of snow across the whole of Superstar and wide/deep, maybe 100 feet?  There was just a small area to get around onto Skylark.

Sorry, I have photos but cell phone not working so well today.      
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Be curious to know what everyone thinks about how long Superstar will last.

Last year was 5/18 I think.  There was still a decent amount of snow with some big grass (mud) gaps.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I think it will last till 6/7 or 6/14.  I might go the weekend of 5/30 and 5/31.  I would combine it with a trip to Great Escape like I did in October 2013.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
The last four or five days and the next five will have to take it's toll on the snowpack. But, it will probably be the first time there will be an appreciable loss on the Supe' glacier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Here are the photos, sorry for my delay.

I am sure the Canyon will be closed.   Eastfalls had 200 feet of mud/rocks by Sunday noon, last week.   Double dipper about 50'.    That said, Cascade was in AWESOME shape but there was a 200 foot walk back to K1.   Highline had competition bumps cut into it which were very good, but again by Sunday, unless you wanted to kill your skis you had to dismount before entering and then walk out (50 feet each).  

The main attraction:  Superstar and Skylark were superb.  

Quick story:  As we were skiing down to K1 on Saturday over the flats of lower cascade, I was keeping speed.  A very good lady skier with her Bf/hubby were in front.  Suddenly she was skiing erratic, the snow was not wide, but she was breaking hard--then began yelling (I assumed at him).  She stopped as did he.  Thinking they both were crazy for stopping on the flats with speed, I passed.   Ultimately I came to the walking point and waited for my buddy.  Soon enough the couple skied up to me.    "You skied right past a mama black bear and 3 cubs--you were not 5-0' from her, she passed right in front of us, that is why we stopped"   My buddy came down advising he saw mama and cubs in the stream to the right.   Guess I was focused on going fast and watching the skier in front of me.    Sad I did not see mama and cubs but happy I was not her victim too.    

Kmart Shoppers:  Keep and eye out on lower cascade if the Canyons open or you decide to hike to sweet Cascade.  

Eastfalls and Double-Dipper (left)

Carb loading after a long day of bumps

Superstar snowpack

Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
thinking of heading over sunday. could be the warmest day ive ever skied!
Reply | Threaded
|

Anybody ski Superstar this past weekend?     Can you report.    Trying to decide beach or ski beach?  

My son and his friend are hyped (they are both bumpers).  However don't want to add to the hype and then deal with upset 9yos.   If I am taking them to the pond in late May, I want them catching fish.    

At Kmart's webcam, the seasonal line is moving from viewers left to right.   However everything else looks good, but no photos at mid or top.     I assume we are good, but would like some local word before committing to the weekend and a long azzz drive.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Superstar lived up to her name this past (and closing) weekend.     Based on the weather Kmart has had, lack of rain and massive size of the headwall they blew in April, I would find it very hard to see how they could have ever stayed open to June 21st, as many of the locals were discussing a few weeks prior.  

While the trail generally skied fantastic both Sat and Sun, by Sunday afternoon the headwall was exposing her rock face, but there is still plenty of snow to push over the edge.    However the big dilemma which occurs annually was the flatter spot in the mid-section.  The photo I added was taken at 2pm.   By last chair Sunday, (5pm) there was approximately 50 yards of bare ground, which could be straight-lined over the mud and moss.   Most people were hiking it though.    

The bumps were soft laid over carvable ice and nicely separated.  

Best part of the trip.....the amazing people and vibe that comes with late May bumps.   Great music at the umbrella bar, sunny days and friendly people.   During drive home we stopped at Kate's at Bolton Landing--Great Pizza and awesome customer service.    Likely the best pizza north of NYC.    

Monday spend cutting grass, chopping wood and swatting black flies.   I freaking hate black flies.  My son and I both have huge welts, his ear is swollen double size.    The world's wealth to the person who invents a method to kill every dam black fly and mosquito.  

Random guy in cool shirt

Superstar Headwall

"flat" spot  2pm Sunday

Superstar Sunday night