12 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

lodging at Jay Peak?

Z
This post was updated on .
I'm headed to a PSIA event at Jay in Feb.  Trees and Steeps is the topic - should be pretty cool location for that.

Anyone got a good recommendation for lodging near Jay?  Since I'm coming from the West Montgomery or Mongomery Center would also work.  The Jay pricing for on site lodging is too high for my budget and they price everything with lift tickets that I don't need.  Just need a good comfortable bed - with good food in area.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: lodging at Jay Peak?

outlaw 1
ive stayed at the jay village inn a few times,nice clean rooms,bar and restaurant on site,with a country store across the st,people are wicked friendly,and its just a few miles down the road,not sure about pricing.check out there website..
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Z
my wife is now coming and doing a different PSIA event at the same time

anyone ever stay at the Phineas Swann B&B in Montegomery Center?  Trip Advisor gives it a very high rating
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
All in Montgomery Center, within 10 minutes of Jay and stumbling distance to food/beverages:

Cheap & funky: Grampa Grunt's: www.facebook.com/grampagrunts
Cheap and right above good bar/restaurant: Snowshoe Lodge: www.snowshoelodgeandpubvt.com (Cornhead reported on his experience here last season, either here or on AZ, can't remember)
One of many B&Bs: Phineas Swan: http://phineasswann.com/

When is your event? I will likely be there several times in February. You can use me as a teaching dummy.

Edit: just saw your post. DO NOT take your wife to Grampa Grunts or the Snowshoe Lodge (Snowshoe Restaurant is OK). I haven't stayed there but is is loaded with charm and quaintness. Looks nice and well kept up. They have the best Xmas lights in Montgomery Center, if that means anything.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z

Sick Bird Rider wrote
All in Montgomery Center, within 10 minutes of Jay and stumbling distance to food/beverages:

Cheap & funky: Grampa Grunt's: www.facebook.com/grampagrunts
Cheap and right above good bar/restaurant: Snowshoe Lodge: www.snowshoelodgeandpubvt.com (Cornhead reported on his experience here last season, either here or on AZ, can't remember)
One of many B&Bs: Phineas Swan: http://phineasswann.com/

When is your event? I will likely be there several times in February. You can use me as a teaching dummy.

Edit: just saw your post. DO NOT take your wife to Grampa Grunts or the Snowshoe Lodge (Snowshoe Restaurant is OK). I haven't stayed there but is is loaded with charm and quaintness. Looks nice and well kept up. They have the best Xmas lights in Montgomery Center, if that means anything.

so what do you suggest with the wifely unit along for the trip?

The other option I saw was the Black Latern Inn - its cheaper but father away.  I just tried to book the Phinneas Swan but then I saw they are adding $80 bucks in fees for 2 nights to at $149 each.  I guess there are a couple options in Jay too but I don't know much about them.

The clinic is Feb 6-7 - I'm pretty stoked about it - Trees and steeps at the best tree skiing venue in the East - sign me up.  These clinics are a huge benefit to being an instructor and part of PSIA.

Alpine Trees and Steeps - Participants must possess strong skiing skills as well as a good level of fitness. All participants should feel comfortable skiing ungroomed and varying snow conditions. The focus will be on developing and enhancing skills for skiing steep terrain and trees. Participants will be skiing on steep terrain and in trees according to the experience and ability level of the group. If there is more than one group, groups will be divided according to experience level. Helmets are recommended.

Should be pretty awesome or as they say in New England - Wicked!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
There is not a lot in Montgomery, to be honest. You'd have more luck renting a house for a group of people. There are probably more options on the Jay village side.

The Black Lantern is pretty cool. Very historic old VT building, walking distance from a covered bridge. They used to have a GREAT restaurant (previous owners) and I hear the new owners have brought the restaurant back and it is pretty good. It's only another 5+ minutes farther away from the hill.

Check out Grampa Grunts site, now that I think of it they have some alternate accommodations (houses/apartments).

That sounds like a great workshop and Jay is the perfect venue.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Subscribe to their newsletter, they are sending out deals all the time via email. However, a lot of those deals are not open ended for any time so if you want to book something well in advanced, that might not work. There are a few places to stay on the Jay side of 242 but not many options. You'll find them if you google them, I can't make any specific recommendations other than keeping an eye on their newsletter for deals.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Couture's.....nice folks

http://www.maplesyrupvermont.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
As Sickbird said, I don't think your wife woulds be happy at the Snowshoe, basically a flop house. If they got working TVs, it would be much more livable. The bar is pretty cool, I was surprised to see Genny Cream Ale on tap on my first visit, they no longer do. It was like a little piece of home four hundred miles away. The locals are pretty entertaining, I had fun, and I don't drink! I would think some of the b&b's and such would be a better option. If you like neighborhood bars, checkout the Snowshoe.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
So is there anything in or close to Montgomery Ctr that falls between the flop houses and the very nice B&B? I, too, want to ski Jay. I don't require anything as pricey as the Phineas, but can well afford more comfort than a flop house.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

rockstone
Try the Coach House in Montgomery Center.  It has very clean, affordable vacation rental apartments 10 minutes from Jay Peak Resort.  www.jaypeakskiing.com
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Let us know how you make out for lodging, I have yet to ski Jay even though it has been on my list for the last 15 years. I can't seem to break away from Gore, I can only seem to venture as far as Whiteface. The clinic sounds great, I struggle with fluidity in tight steep eastern trees where speed can build up fast.