newby Catskill questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

newby Catskill questions

camp
Coming to the Catskills tomorrow for the first time.

Staying in Fleishmans through New Years, which seems close to Belleayre, and skiing there on Saturday. Also looks like Platty, Hunter, and Windham are all within range. Any of those 4 have notorious holiday crowds and should be avoided?

I read through the Directory and see that these are "some of the most visited ski areas in New York." And this is probably one of the most visited weekends. Any tips to avoid the worst crowds would be appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: newby Catskill questions

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Tomorrow's rain should hold crowds down. Saturday is likely to be firm everywhere unless it warms up or the sun comes out. Forecast is calling for cloudy and 34 at base elevation.

In general on holidays, barring difficult weather or conditions, most mountains, including Hunter, Belle and Windham will be crowded. Plattekill is generally uncrowded all the time but will also have less terrain open.

As a teleskier I don't really care about limited terrain. If I get a lift ride up and can ride down a nice trail with reasonable or steep pitch and I'm unfettered by too many other skiers I am happy.

Disclaimer: It is well documented that am not unbiased. The last time I skied in the Cats I went to Plattekill even though they were closed and other areas were open.

I would ask others to chime in about crowds at the other three hills. I don't really know.

Welcome to the forum.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
All the cool guys are named camp
Welcome Camp

That's all I got.

Can't help with the Cats
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Crowds from most to least: Hunter, Windham, Belle, Platty. On its worst day, Plattekill’s trails are blissfully un-crowded. The only reason not to go is that they might have a tougher time recovering/grooming after a rain. If it rains a lot and then the temps drop, Hunter will do the best job (by far probably) of getting their trails back in shape. Just check out Harvey’s current blog post to read more about it. It will also be the most crowded no matter what. Be ready to throw an elbow if required.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by camp
camp wrote
Coming to the Catskills tomorrow for the first time.

Staying in Fleishmans through New Years, which seems close to Belleayre, and skiing there on Saturday. Also looks like Platty, Hunter, and Windham are all within range. Any of those 4 have notorious holiday crowds and should be avoided?

I read through the Directory and see that these are "some of the most visited ski areas in New York." And this is probably one of the most visited weekends. Any tips to avoid the worst crowds would be appreciated.
There is a another factor to consider besides sheer numbers.  From what I observed, the folks who are at Platty know how to ski/board.  Meaning you don't have to worry as much about human missiles.  I would guess that Belleayre may be a bit better in that regard compared to Hunter and Windham.  But I generally ski midweek during early or late season when it comes to the northeast.

For future reference, the people who are on the slopes at Jiminy Peak tend to know what they are doing. Meaning both the parents and the kids for families.  Having lights that allow skiing until 10pm also means it's possible to ski in the late afternoons and/or evenings with fewer people.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
  Be ready to throw an elbow if required.
Yo Harv --- that's how you get the attention of that bartender at Gore
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
Brownski wrote
  Be ready to throw an elbow if required.
Yo Harv --- that's how you get the attention of that bartender at Gore
Now that you mention it, that may be where I learned the skill- but at the Terminal Bar in the Bronx not the Tannery
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LOL

Reply | Threaded
|

camp
In reply to this post by Brownski
We skied Belleayre, Windham, and Platty. Platty was by far the family favorite, just our kind of vibe/terrain and was plenty fun even with only a few runs on one side open. Hope to come back when our season shuts down (one state south).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Nice.

camp I would love to meet you. There is a gathering at Plattekill this coming Saturday. Some skiing, a film after dark and probably a toast in there somewhere. Be great if you could come.

https://www.facebook.com/events/415386172329430/
Reply | Threaded
|

camp
Harvey,
I'd love to be there this Saturday, but will be back south in PA on our local hills.
I used to be a long-time member/user of the old telemarktips forum (hours & hours) and a tiny bit on telemarkeast. I moved on to Facebook like so many others, and then found this forum looking into NY skiing. I've also mostly abandoned my freeheel quiver in pursuit of learning to carve on training heels. Having a lot of fun with that now too.

Hope to be back to Plattekill for a weekend after our PA hills close.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Well, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.  Hope to hear from you again.

Folks from Plattekill saw your post and appreciate you coming out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
Well, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.  Hope to hear from you again.

Folks from Plattekill saw your post and appreciate you coming out.
I did see it and appreciate it immensely. TY, (new) Camp. I had to appease the ladies in my family and we were down south in the sun for the holidays this year, otherwise you would have met me. Although, all of the above is true, Harvey wasn't speaking directly of me.

After hearing your story, my advice is to head north and lose the heels. :). I look forward to showing you around on your next visit.
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
Word I got from family members who skied Hunter Christmas week was the new area spread people out, and neither the trails or the lifts seemed too crowded. If they get one good dump and get decent coverage on the West Side, even a Saturday may be livable
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Whoa. There's a concept. Hunter management should win a prize for accomplishing that.
funny like a clown