nighttime noises

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

nighttime noises

freeheeln
my wife fixedheeln wakes me up during the night about an awful noise. a loud eerie bawling sound that just keeps going on and on. look out the window see nothing ,its 3:30am, dark. i grab the million candle spotlight open the door to the balcony sound stops , see  glowing yellow eyes ,a  few yelps or  chirps. im figuring coyotes had a deer in their grasp, released it with the sound of the door opening ,deer ran away seeing now in the light of day there is no carcass.we have a country home see deer nearly everyday, tracks everywhere. walking out the snowy driveway tues morn to get the paper i did notice 2 sets of tracks that i then thought were coyote i guess that has been confirmed. i will talk a walk out later check for more evidence .
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: nighttime noises

ScottyJack
if coyotes were latched onto a deer, you would have seen clear evidence of a struggle, tracks in all directions, deer hair, blood, roll marks....  

very interesting though.  I love me some mother nature in its purists form!  

please tell what you do find.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by freeheeln
Foxes are said to make a sound much like a woman screaming.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Snowballs wrote
Foxes are said to make a sound much like a woman screaming.
That's what I was thinking too. If it were coyotes I highly doubt they would let a deer out of their grasp from a door opening.

Let us know what you find
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea, it's supposed to be quite an erie sound. Some say unnerving. People have gone out into the night woods searching for a " victim " because they thought a woman was being attacked/killed.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Bobcat mating season is Jan to March, feral cats in heat, fox, Fischer and owls are all possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
no sign of struggle no hair no blood.searched around for bobcat vocalizations on line  found some that may be what we heard, interested in what fixedheeln thinks she remembers .my first reaction to the tracks tues morn was bobcat as they were perfect walkers; rear foot placed in front foot print but being a pair of tracks dismissed  usually a solo  critter and assumed coyote social critters .knowing now that it is mating season i seem to lean towards  bobcat socializing
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Maybe a "fisher" was what was making the sound! http://fishercatscreech.com/fisher-cat-audio-animal-sounds-and-noises/ 
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
gebbyfish wrote
Maybe a "fisher" was what was making the sound! http://fishercatscreech.com/fisher-cat-audio-animal-sounds-and-noises/
Cool website!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gebbyfish
gebbyfish wrote
Fisher cats are cool. I've only seen one while bear hunting in the Dacks with an Uncle of mine. Didn't see no stinkin bear but seeing that cat made my entire hunt worth while.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Saw a dead one while walking with the kids in Wilton years ago in the Ora Phelps park.  Fierce looking teeth!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
searched alot of animal sound ,fixedheeln going with deer distress call maybe it was not yet attacked, the world will never know
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Probably just some vixen having a good time !
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Snowballs
last nite something  was calling out ,very eerie.got the spot lite out , eyes glowed couldnt make out the body, the big black walnut tree in the way.was up on the big mound, highest spot (20 ft ) around.  fixedheeln and i searched  calls , agreed on fox call. last week definitely pack of coyotes howling ,not close enough to spot with spot light.seems like all the deer are still around ,7 one day last week . one young yearling must be a buck head butting all the rest.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
coyotes woke us up at 3 am ,their yip yap and howling was very close and loud.have heard them a few other times but not this close in a while