pipe line and powerline slopes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pipe line and powerline slopes

kenneywallace
Anyone ever ski the steep slopes around? Two that stand out to me are the one behind the aldi in chenango bridge,( would be a nice compact ski area if someone would have bought the land way back, atlease in my mind) and the powerline droping to the river outside hancock ( stop partwould be less then plesant)
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: pipe line and powerline slopes

Glade Runner
Banned User
I am near there and am going to ski the one behind aldis someday.  After a good storm i will usually see a few tracks coming down it.  From my understanding it is considered trespassing once you drop into the bottom on the plaza property.  There are trails up behind there to hike up so it isnt obvious hiking up in plain view.  This way you can be in and out or have a car waiting.  It is really steep towards the bottom even looks like a cliff drop at the bottom.  I do believe it is south facing cause it gets lots of sun.

Another right near there up Smith hill rd is not as steep but has 3 north facing slopes that can be seen from the road when the leaves fall.  The trails are shaded with lines of pine trees and it holds snow well.  From my understanding this was a local rope tow back in the day but it is on private property.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: pipe line and powerline slopes

PeeTex
In reply to this post by kenneywallace
I looked this up this morning. The cut off of Peas Eddy Road up what looks like a NNW facing bowl with a base elevation of 1000' and a rise of 500' looks quite nice. The Satellite imagery shows a nice clean and wide cut. However this is all private property and you run substantial risk without permission. If you had permission I would hike it first and make sure there are no fences or other obstructions.

There also appears to be an established trail or jeep road going up from Cobas Hollow to the top of the ridge and over to the other side. This is gentler terrain and the way the trees appear on the imagery, there may be gentle glades in there. This may prove more stealth if you are taking a risk.

The terrain around Chenango bridge looked like there were some nice pitches, they looked short, elevation wise - again, all on private property.

Note - I have not been in these areas, just map gazing. Personally I would not waist my time unless I knew the people who owned the land or knew someone who was up there regularly. Otherwise you might have a great day skiing and get to meet the local Sheriff as well when you return to your car.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.