"Betty loved this trail!" -- any info?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"Betty loved this trail!" -- any info?

Brian
Anyone who's ridden the High Peaks double at Gore has probably noticed the sign at the bottom of the Dark Side Glades that reads "Betty L♡ved this trail!"  And, after seeing it for probably the hundredth time last weekend I decided to finally see if I could figure out who Betty was.  To my surprise, nothing seems to have been posted to this blog about it, and my google searching didn't return any helpful results.  

So... anyone here have some info on Betty and her love of the Dark Side Glades?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "Betty loved this trail!" -- any info?

I:)skiing
It is on this site....I know I have read about it extensively.    Try another search method/criteria.  

A lovely lady who, from my memory of reading about it, skied that trail before it was a trail.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
What he said. ^^^^ I believe she worked at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I thought someone answered this too, but I couldn't find it.

I bet 64er knows the answer. Or...  Bueller?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
The legend I heard (it was from an employee or an instructor I think) was something along these lines:

She was one of the first women ski patrollers at Gore.  Also that her and the head of the ski patrol at the time were quite smitten with each other and the two of them could often be found "skiing" together on that trail (before it was truly a trail)
I cannot confirm the truth to this story, but I like it anyways!
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Brian
I found this on the skiadk forum archive:

jimmer
06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
betty was an old time gore skier,her name was betty redfield,she grew up skiing old gore,raised her family there and new gore too,the hole family could ski,she remained skiing well after her kids gave it up.she wood poach that trail with us long before it was even a public trail,and this she did well into her 70s.she passed a few years back,she was a member of the backwoods ski club outta gore,hung with chubber,who also passed a few years ago,hell of a guy he was,he could tell ya some stories.theres some really interesting older folks that ski gore alot,hawkeye ed who just had hip surgery,doc,whos 80 something,pete who found out he had cancer last year,still skis when he can,and many more.these guys think its great too see our gang ski,but its us that admire them for there love of skiing,and the time they spend on the hill.truely amazing.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Spongeworthy wrote
I found this on the skiadk forum archive:

jimmer
06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
betty was an old time gore skier,her name was betty redfield,she grew up skiing old gore,raised her family there and new gore too,the hole family could ski,she remained skiing well after her kids gave it up.she wood poach that trail with us long before it was even a public trail,and this she did well into her 70s.she passed a few years back,she was a member of the backwoods ski club outta gore,hung with chubber,who also passed a few years ago,hell of a guy he was,he could tell ya some stories.theres some really interesting older folks that ski gore alot,hawkeye ed who just had hip surgery,doc,whos 80 something,pete who found out he had cancer last year,still skis when he can,and many more.these guys think its great too see our gang ski,but its us that admire them for there love of skiing,and the time they spend on the hill.truely amazing.
Finally A winner!!!! The rest of you slackers need to tighten up your local skills
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Ah Man... I miss old man Jimmer
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.