|

"Rescue" at Gore on Sunday

YUKON CORNELIUS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Rescue" at Gore on Sunday

skimore
At 2:40 on a nice sunny spring day he couldn't just suck it up and back track? Embarrassing
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
I wonder which glade he was lost in?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It had to be on the Chatiemac side, right? It's the only place I can think of where heading "down" could really get you in trouble.  Assuming he really was in a glade to start.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I'd say he was lucky to have cell service, given the fact that he wasn't smart enough to back track.    The snow is not that deep, esp for a 22 yro.  

My son (9) wanted to jump in the trees to the right of Chatiemac (too high) several times.   We have had long talks and this is exactly why I have advised him he will not ski alone on big mountains.     Kids (including this 22yro) don't have the mental skills or knowledge/aforethought/plan.    

I pointed to all the red tape, now and again.  His interpretation of that was it "marked" where you should go in.   Maybe 22 yro thinks like my 9yro.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Memba a couple years ago this happened off Chati ? That prior weekend or so there were ski tracks heading to the right just below the first drop on Chati. At that point, " going down " would have put one going away from Gore. Then those people got rescued from there days later,,, musta followed those tracks in ? I think that is what happened to the people who got rescued back then. As I recall, the talk on the board then was it's pretty thick woods down there.

Kinda agree with YC tho, DA move. Long friggin way out that route.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
And too stupid to look on his ticket of season pass to see that Gore has a dedicated emergency number 518.251.3838 that rings directly to the ski patrol.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
As I skied Chati this weekend I took an outsider's approach to signage.    Granted, the signs are fine and if one follows the rules, All would be good.    That said:   There are the circle signs that say "Out of Bounds"   or something similar.    Could additional signs be mounted that say in simple terms: Wrong Way!

I see pros and cons:  Out of bounds  signs is Gore trying to help people who perhaps cannot think/plan for themselves.    In this particular sign may have two interpretations:   1) out of bounds--meaning off Gore property or  Not an official patrolled area--- this is how I might view such a sign.  OR   2) Hey dummie, don't go this way!   You will get lost.      Perhaps this is the intended way.    

Granted, I did not ski all of Gore's property this weekend looking at trees and Out of Bounds plates nailed to  trees.  However this seems to be the only spot I have seen these signs.    There are lots of places to go out of bounds that these signs are not mounted....yet skiing in those woods would still be out of bounds.    Thus my interpretation and recommendation to Gore for some new signage on Chati's top.  

Perhaps just a skier with the universal red circle/line through it.