ski with music?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ski with music?

freeheeln
i do love to ski with tunes cranking . if its real busy i will go without .for a while there was a large group of us in the group that all skied listened to EQX very fun everybody with the same tune.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ski with music?

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
I sing songs to myself occasionally. Couldn't ski with tunes on from an exterior source, it would disrupt my concentration.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by freeheeln
I used to ski with music, and it is a ton of fun. Skiing with everyone on the same tunes sounds like a blast.

Now I've always got a camera, and often a phone - it's just feels like too much to deal with.

It's all I can do to take pictures and keep up.

Like SBR I tend to sing to myself.

"Danger Zone" from the movie Top Gun when facing icy headwalls, moguls, etc...

And "The Road to Shambala" when conditions are really good...

I know they aren't the greatest tunes, but they pop in to my head.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
I ski with music. It's fun to have a good song on but not so loud that you can't hear somebody coming. A little AC/DC in the mogals can't be beat.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
In reply to this post by Harvey
I ski by myself way too often to not listen to music..have a selection of songs that get me going. I've noticed I push myself more and go a little faster out of my comfort zone if I'm listening to music. Otherwise I'm too careful.

Unless its a day of very difficult conditions, then I usually leave my MP3 player in the bag so I don't kill myself..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
BT equipped Smith Variant helmet and I'm good to go.  Volume up on the way down and down on the way up!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Always.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'm an outlier.  Never.  Actually that's not quite true as I think I skied with a Walkman a couple times back in the 80s.   I don't own an Ipod thing.  To me, the sound of the snowguns is music enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Never.  I like to hear everything going on around me.  And I don't need any kind of music to motivate me to ski better.  I ski well enough.  ;-)
Reply | Threaded
|

zach
I'm with ADK Jeff and Mattchuck. Never. When I am really focused on making turns music is a distraction.
Reply | Threaded
|

zach
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I'm with ADK Jeff and Mattchuck. Never. When I am really focused on making turns music is a distraction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
always....although half the time its hardly loud enough for me to hear. i like to know whats going on around me but at the same time i like a tune to ski to.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i ski and run with no music. i enjoy the sounds of nature. one of the most beautiful sounds i ever heard was the tinkling of tiny icicles hanging from every pine branch. i also want to hear that scrape of a snowboarder so i can get out of the way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Both.

There are many times I love the silence and solitude of being on the mountain.  I'm not a great skier but I find skiing good for my soul and being one with the mountain with no distractions is a sensation that I love.

That said, there I times when I love to rock on down the mountain!  Typically this will be after a few runs and/or when there are a few more people on the slopes.  My choices of tunes vary greatly and I love being surprised as I leave my iPod on shuffle.  The thought of everyone skiing to the same tunes sounds like a blast!

As to the effect of the music on my skiing I have to be careful....."Life in the Fast Lane"....dangerous stuff for me to ski to as are many similar songs.  When stuff like that comes on I'll go from cautious to thrill seeker.  I have had certain tunes in my mix pop up that I just seem to cruise to best and I'm thinking of making up a play list of just those.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
conditions do dictate, opening day with little terrain and busy slopes, wkends, holidays all make me reconsider.midweek ripping , nothing like it!easy access on/off volume control is key
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I skied for years and never thought of providing a sound track. I decided to ski during the Hope On The Slope a few years back when it was a twenty four hour event. I wanted to see the sun rise from the top of the mountain, something you don't get a chance to do, unless you're willing to hike up the hill. I got to the hill at 2AM, they only offered one trail, I knew it would be boring as hell, especially on the chair. I brought an AM/FM Walkman with me, it was great. I've used and MP3 player with an FM radio built in ever since, I liked listening to Alice Cooper's syndicated FM show.

I didn't have any tunes last year, ran my player through the wash, didn't bother to replace it. I'm going to buy a new one, I have a USB port in my car, so I can use it there too. There is some risk involved, my hill has a one ear policy, not strictly enforced. If someone asks me if it's dangerous to ski with earbuds, I just tell them, not if no one is skiing faster than you. I've never had any incidents related to listening to music while skiing. Definitely less dangerous than talking on a phone, or worse texting, while driving.  
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Cornhead wrote
 If someone asks me if it's dangerous to ski with earbuds, I just tell them, not if no one is skiing faster than you.
No offense Cornhead, but I totally disagree with your statement.  You may be a gifted skier, but many of the people that pass me aren't.  Not even close.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I'm not saying there isn't increased risk, I just don't think it makes it much more dangerous than it already is. I don't think I would have listened at all on my first two outings this year, I'm sure some people on the hill didn't feel the same way, so I get your point. They were both zoos, Whiteface, and Hunter, opening day at both. If I had to choose between being on the hill with someone who can't hear me, or sharing the road with someone texting their BFF, I'll take the hill thanks.

Maybe I've been lucky, I've skied listening to music quite a bit, and I've skied without it more. I've never caused, or been involved in, as much as a near miss due to the use of earbuds. I'm dubious of actually calling out, "on your left/right" anyway, more often than not it just startles whoever you're passing, or they're clueless, or they're wearing earbuds! If people are cutting close to you while passing you, they're just being dicks, dicks listening to tunes.

It is less dangerous if no one is passing you, you can't hear them after all. How about one of those little mirrors that attach to a bicycle helmet? Shouldn't be too hard to catch a glimpse of what's behind you every once in a while,till you yard sale, I doubt the mirror would survive, I might need only two a year. I do my best to be aware of my surroundings whether listening to music, or not. It can enhance the experience at times, especially if skiing solo.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
freeheeln wrote
for a while there was a large group of us in the group that all skied listened to EQX very fun everybody with the same tune.
That is awesome. What do you guys use to tune into it?

I used to ski exclusively with music. Since two seasons ago it pretty much stopped though. But I blame that on my tune-ups breaking. I was actually just thinking how I wish I had some music while skiing yesterday.

Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
there was a wide assortment .all of a sudden the group would pull up and stop midrun any trail, non listener would ask why?commercial timeout