classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: uphill gear

raisingarizona
mattchuck2 wrote
You guys are both wrong. The best ADK winter travel is done on Tele skis with fishscales and backup skins in the pack.

Up and down approaches are easy, you don't have to fiddle with bindings all the time, it's lightweight, and it's comfy.

You just need to learn how to Tele.
I am often jealous of my buddy Ken and his light and easy tele set up. It does win the simplicity and weight factors for sure! It does not win for the descent and less than ideal snow conditions tho. You really can't hammer it as much on tele's, I don't care who you are it's a slight disadvantage for that.

It sounds like from what I have read from you guys on here though that most often when going to ski the ADK BC it's not really about Hollywood pow skiing so the tele set up overall to me sounds ideal for there.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
I like the vipecs because on the drainage drops I can reach back with my ski pole and lock the heel.  no stepping out to switch modes.  

Slowshoeing in with your gear is about as bad an idea as voting for trump!
Thanks for mentioning the vipecs, I have not updated my BC set up nor looked at bindings in a number of years, those look great, solve the issues I have with my current Dynafit radicals, but I bet they are a bit heavier. I will take a look at these. Fish scales are slow, 2 years ago I was skiing in Smugglers Notch with a friend, we were lapping around and each trip down the road he could barely glide. It was a real pain. However I have been on some tours where the on and off of skins has made the trip miserable.

BTW - on some tours I have actually gotten to the destination on "slow shoes" faster than my companions on skis, while they were gear futsing I was moving forward.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
<

It sounds like from what I have read from you guys on here though that most often when going to ski the ADK BC it's not really about Hollywood pow skiing so the tele set up overall to me sounds ideal for there.
tele sux bro!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Slowshoeing in with your gear is about as bad an idea as voting for trump!

that's so trumpian!  
I gave Harv a few days -
this is a perfect example of his bias.
If I had said this (except inserting Clinton for Trump) he would have chastised me for putting political commentary in this thread.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.