Locked 59 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attn: snoloco

MikeK
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Forget about Mtn Creek.  Take a drive to the cats... if they ever get snow this year... do some trail skiing.  It's not as easy as you might think.  6-8' wide trail with any sort of pitch and you have to be a pretty good skier, or crasher.  Take to the woods when it's open.  If you don't get out and ski around, you'll never find what you're after.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
My other suggestion is buy a pair of microspikes (they are cheap) and when the snow cover isn't enough to ski, go hike.  Look for stuff to ski or hike what you want to ski.

Might want to look into the Catskill 35.  It's close to you, good exercise and will get you acquainted with the mountains.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Well the trees near Mountain Creek are very tight.  It's not a powass rant, they are simply impassable, even if you ski trees as much as Harvey does and are great at it.
Yes that is true. You just shouldn't think in absolutes. All I'm saying is that the next time it dumps at Mountain Creek, instead of waiting in line and fighting crowds you might have a better time hiking and skiing a few laps somewhere not too far from your own backyard.

Sno I'm not much older than you and grew up in NJ, I even skied at Mountain Creek. A few years ago I decided to hike up Hunter Mountain the back way and ski down the Spruceton Trail and it changed the way I looked at skiing. You've gotten lots of good advice on here from a bunch of people. I just hope one day you realize that there is more to skiing than bubble lifts, snowmaking, and grooming.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
even if you ski trees as much as Harvey does and are great at it.
I love tree skiing. But I am mediocre at it. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if you are better than I.

I go after it because the snow is natural, has been skied less, and the peeps I meet in the trees are likeminded.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
True story.  It's happened before in other threads.

I was typing some response in the ski day screw up thread about my skisbootspoles, helmetsgogglesgloves routine to not forget stuff.  Well, a little ways in I thought to myself.....nobody is gonna give a $hit about this, why am I wasting my time and theirs?  Click cancel.  Move on.

Just sayin'.  Sometimes we all have useful $hit to say, other times not so much.  Discerning which is which.....kinda important in life.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
At least it was your decision to abort mission.  When I started reading your post I GULPed as I was sure it was going to end with:

"The forum ate my post."

I've written over 600 blog posts, for the front page.  I've found the keys to getting people to read and comment are:

Have something real to say
Keep it short and clear
Be passionate

Great pics don't hurt either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snoloco... don't post pictures of Mountain Creek in Jeff's TR.  OK?

Your options are:

Mountain Creek Conditions
Mountain Creek TRs in the TR Forum
Random Woodstove Threads about Mountain Creek

It's not like there is a specific rule against it, but doesn't it seem like kinda a crappy thing to do?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Harvey wrote
Snoloco... don't post pictures of Mountain Creek in Jeff's TR.  OK?

Your options are:

Mountain Creek Conditions
Mountain Creek TRs in the TR Forum
Random Woodstove Threads about Mountain Creek

It's not like there is a specific rule against it, but doesn't it seem like kinda a crappy thing to do?
Every f'in thread has something about that place in it. Posts with those words should automatically get deleted
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey:  I posted one picture in that thread to make another point which was that any ski area with a foot of powder is going to be good.  It could've been a picture from any other mountain that would have made the same point and I don't think anyone would've said anything about it.  I'd think that post I made isn't nearly as bad as some of my entire threads that have been hijacked with random posts about drinking.  This is NY Ski Blog, not NY Beer Blog.

Skimore:  Saying that every one of my posts mentions Mountain Creek is wrong.  In fact most of my posts don't say anything about it.  You post plenty of off-topic crap in my threads, so you're a hypocrite.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Maybe I should let Harv handle this, but I'll play dad for a minute.

Sno

Do you understand why it was a shitty thing to post that picture in Jeff's thread?

You made an excuse why you did, but you never acknowledged that it's narcissistic and selfish.  Lot's of people do it, sure... but why add to that?

A little off topic here and there is funny but it was a TR, or it least it was supposed to be.  I always viewed them in a way that the main poster, the Tripper if you will, was the one to post pictures and tell about their experiences.  If you maybe had some picture than told some story that you thought added value to the trip report, maybe you being there years ago?  Or a similar area.  Maybe something positive.  But to post a shitty pic that doesn't belong there to draw attention to yourself is a shitty thing to do.  I think you'll get a lot more respect if you own up to that and don't get caught in being jealous or whatever of someone else's fun.  Everyone knows snow is fun.  You're not making some great discovery or changing the minds of skiers everywhere by posting something like that.

I don't mean to be harsh to you man, but you seem smart and have a lot of passion for skiing.  I think people actually bust your balls more because of that.  They want you to learn some new stuff, and break out of your shell.  You will in time.

You have to be a little bit respectful of your elders though, even if they are drunk.  It's just the way it is.  They've had more years, they know more by default.  Even an idiotic 50 year old knows more than a genius 15 year old (and if you buy into IQ, that's 100% true).
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
MikeK wrote
Do you understand why it was a shitty thing to post that picture in Jeff's thread?
Yes I do.  I apologized for it in the other thread, which you probably didn't notice.  

The reason I'm pissed is that if I made that same post, but with a picture from a different Mountain, or even the same one but didn't say what it was of, no one would have a problem.  This isn't an issue of crapping on someone's TR, this is an issue of not allowing me to post about my home mountain, except in a few threads.  

They think that even though it's within 5 miles of the New York border that it's in New Jersey (which it is) and shouldn't be mentioned here.  That's only an excuse.  The real reason I get crap about it is because they think that it isn't "real skiing".  What they don't understand is that I get so many days each year because I can go there after school during the week.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
snoloco wrote
MikeK wrote
Yes I do.  I apologized for it in the other thread, which you probably didn't notice.  

The reason I'm pissed is that if I made that same post, but with a picture from a different Mountain, or even the same one but didn't say what it was of, no one would have a problem.  This isn't an issue of crapping on someone's TR, this is an issue of not allowing me to post about my home mountain, except in a few threads.  

They think that even though it's within 5 miles of the New York border that it's in New Jersey (which it is) and shouldn't be mentioned here.  That's only an excuse.  The real reason I get crap about it is because they think that it isn't "real skiing".  What they don't understand is that I get so many days each year because I can go there after school during the week.
Yes I saw that.  But then you also proceeded onto another mass derailment so it's hard for me to take it seriously.

Maybe for some, it's about shitting on Mtn Creek.  For me, I don't care.  It could have been anywhere, I still would have thought it was a shitty thing to do.

We all do shitty things.  Yours are just getting attention because they are bothering other people.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
OMG!  I'm posting pix in everyone's trip report!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote

We all do shitty things.  Yours are just getting attention because they are bothering other people.
And you think your shit doesn't stink?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
PeeTex wrote
MikeK wrote

I guess it really depends on what you eat.  With the right combination of kale and quinoa, I can produce shit that smells like ice cream and roses.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Those in my household have no trouble identifying when I've eaten KFC recently!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
MikeK wrote
Nope - apparently mine's getting some attention right now.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
I just knew that this winter was so bad that we would be reduced to talking shit sooner or later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Sno you are getting a lot of feedback to tone it down. I am also getting a significant amount feedback to do something about it via PM.

To the people who have PM'd me, it's a conundrum. Hijacking of threads and a lack of awareness of how to interact with others isn't really against any rules. I could write it into the rules, but I don't think it would solve anything.

Sno maybe some introspection would help. You've said yourself you have a tough time making friends and breaking into groups.  Maybe ask yourself why this is.

You've got a ton of talent. I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if you accomplish big things. It sounds like you want to take on the world.  It's not impossible to do it alone, but everything is easier if you can get people on your side.

Granted we are a bunch of older farts here.  If you join newschoolers maybe you'd fit right in.  If you want things to go more smoothly here, think about what you say and how it relates to the conversation at hand.

Sorry to be public about this, but I wanted those who've contacted me to know I am hearing them.

I'm locking this thread for now to avoid unnecessary piling on. I'll open it again in a few days.