Best pizza in the 5 boroughs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best pizza in the 5 boroughs

Brownski
I don't think there's any debate really. This is just informational; Broadway Joes is on Broadway at 242nd St.

This is how you know it's gonna be good.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best pizza in the 5 boroughs

raisingarizona
Oh my god. I really miss the pizza back there. Seriously, this is like pr0n. I think I've been to this place but it's been so long I can't say for sure. There is/was a pizza joint in the Village that I used to really like too. the last time I was in NYC I just happened to stumble across it after not being there for probably 15 years.

We have a couple of places in Phoenix that do a good NY pie but I'm not down there much.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
There are a couple of NYC joints that have a coal fired oven and use fresh motz etc..I love a thinish crust that is burnt

If you are on your way back from platte stop at Brio's ...They might make the best pizza ...period
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I have been there, Jason. Definitely the best pizza on 28 but they don't compare to Broadway Joes. My kids love the place though, made me drive up there when we were camping in the Sundown Wild Forest last summer. Junior likes pepperoni, which they don't keep as a slicer there. So when he orders it they load up a cheese slice with like 12-15 pepperonies- way more then you would normally get. He loves it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Brownski
I'm gonna head over there...Pizza and Sushi my fav foods..

If you live in Rockland, DiMarias in Valley Cottage is fantastic..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'm gonna check out Di Marias. We're up that way for baseball all the time
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
There are a couple of NYC joints that have a coal fired oven and use fresh motz etc..I love a thinish crust that is burnt

If you are on your way back from platte stop at Brio's ...They might make the best pizza ...period
If I'm in the NYC - Tri-state region I'm not looking for Californian pizzas! I want those huge slices of thin, greasy classic NY pizza!

Turiello's in Nyack is up there with my all-time favorites but this might be more nostalgia than anything.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
AZ I work in Nyack..
Turiello's ain't what it use to be..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
I think any of the coal-fired places in the city are really, really good (well except maybe that touristy one under the Brooklyn Bridge).  It has been years, but John's in Greenwich Village (pretty normal prices) was amazing.  

There is a famous place in deeper Brooklyn that I never made it too that puts the sauce on top that die-hards say is the best pizza.  

Brownski, your posts are very classy and good, but those pictures scare me if you mean best-tasting pizza.   : )
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Best-tasting yes; I like the greasy stuff. When I was in college I would have added a decent amount of garlic but we were back there for a basketball game and my whole family had to share a car with me for the ride home so I spared them.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
JasonWx wrote
AZ I work in Nyack..
Turiello's ain't what it use to be..

Sad. :(

I went in there all the time when I was a kid. The owner was there every day, I don't know if he ever had a day off. He had a thing for my Mom, they were always flirting. :D
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I was watching some travel show the other night and they claimed that "Ray's" was the most famous pizza in NYC.

What do you city boyz think, agree? Or not.....
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by Brownski
B'way Joe's is pretty good and becomes pretty Damn good if it's followed by a slice of Lloyd's carrot cake from up the block across from VCP....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JohnIrvingwrestles wrote
B'way Joe's is pretty good and becomes pretty Damn good if it's followed by a slice of Lloyd's carrot cake from up the block across from VCP....
Never been to Lloyds but I like the way you think...
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I was watching some travel show the other night and they claimed that "Ray's" was the most famous pizza in NYC. What do you city boyz think, agree? Or not.....
This is hard to answer because there are tons of Rays Pizzas- original Rays, Famous Rays etc... I've eaten at a couple of them but I have no idea if I tried the one from the story.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I was watching some travel show the other night and they claimed that "Ray's" was the most famous pizza in NYC. What do you city boyz think, agree? Or not.....
This is hard to answer because there are tons of Rays Pizzas- original Rays, Famous Rays etc... I've eaten at a couple of them but I have no idea if I tried the one from the story.
Now that I re-read that I realize you said "famous" not "best" so, yeah, probably Rays (collectively) is the most famous. Johns and Patsys are pretty well known too but I stand by Broadway Joes
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah, sorry I didn't make that clearer. They story also went on to say how the name Ray's took off, just like you said. Ray's this, Ray's that, but I guess there actually is an original but I can't remember what street it's on.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Famous and ubiquitous (sorry for the three-dollar word in the blog).  I am not sure what the right analogy is, but Ray's is in some places literally on every block.  It is probably not much worse than your average place, but also not better.

Also, I heard a theory that NYC pizza is so good in part because of the water.  It never made sense to me until I lived in the city, got used to the taste of tap water that is better than most bottled waters, and came back to suburbia (where we have acquifer ground water with tons of chlorine - go figure).  Oh man, thread drift in the off-topic thread . . . .

Although Brownski appears to like that kind of gross-looking stuff, I agree with his naming John's and Patsy's as examples of the best pizza one can taste.  Period after my period.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I guess I should confess there's a nostalgia factor at work but yes, I like the greasy stuff. Please note that I soaked up a lot of the grease with a napkin.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Sorry to bust your chops Brownski- grease has an appropriate place in pizza lore.  

I thought this thread was entertaining enough to show my wife.  She demands that I plug Lucali's in Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn.  I will say in my opinion the best non coal fired pizza I have had.   And the best calzone I ever had.    

I ll try to stop posting about this.  I am somewhat passionate about pizza.  The 'B' in my screename stands for my last name, which ends in a vowel that sandwiches a very Italian last name.