DIY home improvement

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
83 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DIY home improvement

tjf1967
That stuff is cool.  Utilizing the rtv and the trailer.  HA what the pick up would no do.  I know if you have them use them.   I putting in an irrigations system.  I have to start documenting it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yea, put some pics up. I put in a bunch of drainage too. Luckily my neighbor has a skid steer and a mini excavator. Boy is that stuff handy to have. Put in 800 feet of drain tile in as well as 450 feet of solid PVC, draining everything into the pond. Pumped out the pond yesterday and plan to clean that thing out over the weekend. I think I'll have a constant flow of water in and water out to help keep the algae down. I also bought a front end loader for my tractor ---- good times  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Pouring the floor this weekend ---- then doors, slap some siding on and watch the grass grow
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Put some Tyvex on it and caller done - Adirondack classic
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I want to see a picture of the smoothing
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Put some Tyvex on it and caller done - Adirondack classic
What's nice about the Zip System is there's no need for Tyvek anymore. This is sheathing and wrap all in one board. Then you tape the seams. You can go years without shingles or siding and it won't damage it one bit. It's brilliant.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
I'll see if I can snap some ---- we aren't power troweling the floor because I don't want it to be a skating rink in the winter time or when it's wet. Just going to hand trowel for a rougher finish.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
I'll see if I can snap some ---- we aren't power troweling the floor because I don't want it to be a skating rink in the winter time or when it's wet. Just going to hand trowel for a rougher finish.
Ha. I was talking about the soil/seed but I dig ceement too.

How expensive was that insulation?  We've been thinking about the house we want to build in the mtns (5 years off) and would like it to be very energy efficient.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote

How expensive was that insulation?  We've been thinking about the house we want to build in the mtns (5 years off) and would like it to be very energy efficient.
LOL --- It's already planted. All I did was back drag it with the bucket on my tractor, then rolled it with a tow behind roller on my ranger. Throw down some "local pasture mix", spread some straw out, and now letting her grow. Still have 2 lilac trees to plant and some crown vetch to seed. Hoping to get that done this weekend.

It's not insulation, but rather a sheathing and house wrap all in one. It runs about 30 bucks/sheet, and I think the tape is 20ish per roll. For insulation I'd have it sprayed in. I did that in last years remodel and it was worth every penny. It's pricey, but the results are amazing. I didn't notice a big difference in the heating during the winter, rather a huge difference in how cool it stayed in the house this summer.  I was very impressed.

All that said, whatever builder you go with will recommend these if he's at all good.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
I use the zip system on all my jobs.  I hope whoever invented it is sitting on a beach somewhere sipping on a cocktail without a care in the world!  I can’t remember the last time I bought a roll of Tyvek.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv, I was concerned with that when we built (finished a few months ago).  We did ICF (insulated concrete form) for our walk-out basement.  As the concrete goes a bit above grade, we did batts for the timber portion.  For the upstairs & ceiling, spray foam was done.

I didn't want to "over-insulate" the house as then it can't breathe; condensation forms at the base of windows in the winter.  The alternative is to have an air exchanger......to that I thought, "why insulate the house so damn much that now you have to buy a fan, operate it and have to listen to the f-ing thing."

We don't have our first full winter yet, so we'll see.....

I'm sure you'll look into passive solar when the time comes.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Curious to hear the results.  I was told by a guy who seems to know that the planned shape of our house and location could be very good for active solar.  Be fun if that was true.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote

LOL --- It's already planted. All I did was back drag it with the bucket on my tractor, then rolled it with a tow behind roller on my ranger. Throw down some "local pasture mix", spread some straw out, and now letting her grow. Still have 2 lilac trees to plant and some crown vetch to seed. Hoping to get that done this weekend.

It's not insulation, but rather a sheathing and house wrap all in one. It runs about 30 bucks/sheet, and I think the tape is 20ish per roll. For insulation I'd have it sprayed in. I did that in last years remodel and it was worth every penny. It's pricey, but the results are amazing. I didn't notice a big difference in the heating during the winter, rather a huge difference in how cool it stayed in the house this summer.  I was very impressed.

All that said, whatever builder you go with will recommend these if he's at all good.
Are insulating and heating your toy box?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's in the works. Most likely won't be this year. My "grant" for this project seems to be running out quicker than I had hoped. LOL

Most likely I'll heat it with another pellet stove. I was toying with the idea of a woodstove but then that will mean storing firewood. I already buy pellets for the house so it only only makes sense that I would stick with that. I can't imagine it would take more than 1 ton to heat it for the winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Over insulate ---- I wanted to go crazy during my remodel with that spray foam but the guy slowed me down by explaining  just what you mentioned to Harv. The place needs to breathe. Made sense after he explained it to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
Most likely I'll heat it with another pellet stove. I was toying with the idea of a woodstove but then that will mean storing firewood. I already buy pellets for the house so it only only makes sense that I would stick with that. I can't imagine it would take more than 1 ton to heat it for the winter.
That reminds me of a time back in the late 70s when I was visiting this women who was living in an old farmhouse in Western NY, she heated exclusively with wood. She was about 90. When they electrified her house she insisted the wires be on the outside of the walls (conduit was all over the house), she wanted to “see” the electricity as she did not trust it. Anyway, she would feed her chickens everyday, she told me she was going to start buying the 40lb bags of chicken feed, I asked her why, she said the 80 lb bags were getting too hard to lift.

A ton of pellets, guess that’ll keep you young.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Fence is almost done
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Brownski wrote
Fence is almost done
NOICE
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Brownski
That sumbitch looks sturdy --- nice work
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
That sumbitch looks sturdy --- nice work
I sprang for the good pressure treated fence panels. They were heavy as shit.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller