DIY home improvement

71 messages Options
1234 ... 8
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

DIY home improvement

Looked but didn't find a DIY home improvement thread. If there is one Harv feel free to merge.

Anyway, getting my plan together for a bathroom remodel. I know there are several peeps on here who are quite handy so thought I'd look for advise regarding a new shower. I'm leaning towards building my own out of corrugated metal. I have a rustic/camp theme going on in my house so it will fit right in and the $$$$ is reasonable. To keep it simple I'll be purchasing a pan vs. making my own. Has anyone built one of these? If so what would you do differently. I'm open to any ideas....

I'm thinking of something like this. Again, not over a tub but rather a pan.

PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Re: DIY home improvement

You are definately not married
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

now That's funny PTEX
Joneski73 Joneski73
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Check out schluter systems.  They make complete waterproof shower systems including shower bases that you can tile over.  Some are even curbless when used with their linear drains.  http://https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/
That corrugated might look halfway decent with a grouted river rock on the shower base.
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

Almost done with one bathroom, then on to another. I'm using a Mustee shower base on the next one. ($150 or so) Then cement board for tile on the walls.
   For your corrugated application, don't hesitate to add or move studs where you need them at panel joints. I'd use screws with rubber washers under the head or sealant in the screw hole with sealant over the screw heads. Maybe change the shower control valve while your in there? Can you solder?

Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

ScottyJack ScottyJack
Reply |

Very metro bro. Surprising.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply |

In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
You are definately not married
Reply |

In reply to this post by Joneski73
I flip flop back and forth as to whether or not I want to involve tile. I only have 1 bathroom and tile would add 2 more days that I wouldn't have a shower. That's not a deal breaker tho as my parents only live a couple miles from me. More of a PITA thing.
Reply |

In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Def changing the control valve. The thing will be gutted so why not.

I'm thinking I'll go with the exposed copper look. You know just like they do in camps --- I like that rustic look, thus all the rough cut lumber in my house. LOL
1234 ... 8