1 ... 78910111213 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

snoloco
Snowballs wrote
snoloco wrote
 I think you're all a bunch of blowhard assholes who just want to flame me no matter what I post.
Gesundheit !

Pretty much 'cept next time don't sound so pushy when drifts clutter up " your " thread. Drifts are gonna happen. Yea you got grief before for drifting and it wasn't fair to you .

Don't let the blowhards get you down. Your reports and insight are the tops here and no doubt many people like them very much. Try to not be so serious in your responses please.
This isn't "my" thread.  The other one is one that I started.  I asked to continue snowmaking discussion there so I wouldn't get flamed here.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Tomato tomawto not withstanding, I think you still get my.......drift.

Dang I'm witty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Neve kept asking me if I thought she could get down Hawkeye.  Goreskimom told us it was bulletproof but somehow Neve chose to go onward.  I told her, if you go down just try to go with it, don't fight it.

She pretty well rocked it, in a way. I mean she went down near the top of the headwall and calmly butt slid the whole thing, standing up at the end. So two points for that.

Thanks for the update on actual conditions.  We will be there tomorrow -- looking forward to some snow falling.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL. Cloud and Sunway had the best snow.  Upper Steil was good.  Never got to Topridge, only thing we missed I think. And Wild Air.

OPEN PIT looked sweet.  Word was it was going to open late morning, but our last run was at 11:30.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Sounds like you guys had a pretty good day. Put me down as jealous.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
PeeTex wears depends!
Now you want to get inside my nickers, you liberals want to micromanage everything. Should I send you blood samples so you can regulate me on a cellular level?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Front side was definitely the best place today.... Sunway to QS was my personal fave. Didthe Gondi around 11 to Uncas, skittered my way down to SBQ and did Cloud to Headwaters a few times. Only saw guns going on Open Pit and a few fans at the saddle. Sleeping Bear was not bad either. Not sure what is going on with snowmaking and I know this was mentioned earlier in this thread but there should have been more happening today....  Hoping for pow tomorrow and Saturday....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wow the skiing is good.  Seems like we've had six inches or so. Bottom still the best IMO but nuking at times up top.  Guns getting set up on Lies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
How bout some pics? Some of us are at work this week.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Was really windy and snowing at the mtn, camera barely came out.  Now my ten yo is hogging the internet.

Neve attacks Open Pit

Getting some nordic before dark, more later.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
great pic

how much did they get
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'd say maybe six inches?  Most of it came down between 9 and 12.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Great day at the mountain today.  We were on the quad at 9:15 and snow was falling and kept falling until we left at 3:45.

Northwoods:
Showcase:  Good cover, still has those rocks of ice on skier's left halfway down.  Lower Showcase below 2B open and good cover.  We only skied Showcase once and I would have liked to do it again but it didn't happen.
Arena:  Good cover, getting bumped up.
Quicksilver:  A lot of fun, ungroomed bumps -- the daylong snow helped this trail.
Sunway:  Good cover, needs to be groomed overnight.
Foxlair:  A lot of fun, lots of good snow up top.
Wild Air: Did not ski, but looked pretty good.

North Side:
Sleeping Bear:  Really a lot of fun, we lapped this about 6 times by the end of the day (at which time it had some natural bumps at the beginning and then halfway down).  Only downside was in the morning when some a**hole cut off a blind skier and sent him into the trees.  He took it better than I would of, and was not hurt.  Wish I had gotten a look at what the guy was wearing.

Up top:
Headwaters:  BEST SNOW OF THE DAY -- Upper Headwaters was catching all the wind-driven snow.  A fresh layer every time we lapped it.
Cloud:  Good cover.
Open Pit:  Challenging.  Big deep bumps.
Tannery:  Great, a lot of fun.  Only scraped down as you approach the chair.
Uncas:  Still the only way to get to the summit.  Our first time down it was fine, the snow was better near the trees and the center was scraped down.  The second time down they had opened up the guns and it was a disaster -- my youngest freaked out, and I had her take off her skis and walk most of the way down once the steep started.  I had my poles in one hand and her skiis in the other hand, and was getting blasted in the face by the guns so couldn't see.  A challenge, and not a fun one.
Hawkeye:  Did not ski, every time we passed overhead we saw someone wipe out.
Topridge:  Did not ski, but it was getting a lot of action.

Guns blowing on Twister, Lies.  Surprised they are not blowing Tahawus or Wood In.  Makes no sense.

Saw a couple of snowboarders coming down Rumour.  Also there was some rope-ducking on the Straightbrook Glades.

Thanks God for the snow.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
We skied for 3 hours this morning.  We got there early and when we left at noon the cars were parked down the mountain road.  Good conditions all around.  Upper mountain got about 2 more inches overnight.  Uncas has better cover but still some big scraped down patches -- people were wiping out.  Twister still not open, probably tomorrow.  Guns still blasting Lies.  They opened Tahawus as a black diamond with thin natural cover.  A ton of fun!

My middle daughter skiing past some of the ungroomed conditions on Tahawus:

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Skied that a few times yesterday. Natural cover is one thing but I figured they would remove the off season blowdown!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
Uncas has better cover but still some big scraped down patches -- people were wiping out.
It wouldn't have been a shit show like that if they had prioritized opening a second route to the summit.  What if they did that instead of opening Lies now.  Crazy bad management on this one.
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
While Pine Knot is not my favorite trail, what is the point of making snow on blue trails, Upper Steilhang, Cloud and Headwaters if there is no way to get there? We were there last year when Uncas was the only way to get to the top and it was a mess of people many of whom should not have been there really dangerous.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
As per my Adk Jeff signature.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by xWeatherMan
Is it me or is Uncas easier than it used to be?  Not taking anything from your point Wx, it just seems somehow more graded or flatter.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Or maybe you're just a better skier than you used to be.

I have no problem skiing Uncas at all, but I can see why lower level skiers would.  They should've blown Pine Knot instead of Upper Steilhang.
1 ... 78910111213 ... 35