700 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
I swear it got flatter before last year.  Maybe you are right.  Neve was off on how easy it was yesterday, and it was boilerplate with soft piles on top.

Upper Steilhang has snowmaking? I never knew.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
Upper Steilhang has snowmaking? I never knew.
Yes it does!!  High elevation, so it can open easily on natural snow and isn't always blown.  I skied it 2 weeks ago on all natural snow and it was covered fine.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
In reply to this post by xWeatherMan
That thought had occurred to me as well....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So this is biased I admit.  But..

Need more good terrain open
Pine Knot is an upper blue maybe, or is it as black as say Open Pit?
Pine Knot is very little fun
Uncas is a great trail

I know it's not logical.

I like Uncas, although not as much as before.

Maybe with Pine Knot closed they are grooming Uncas flatter.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
So you admit that you don't want an intermediate route to the summit so it keeps lower level skiers on the lower mountain and you can have it all to yourself.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 Maybe with Pine Knot closed they are grooming Uncas flatter.
Pine knot is a bit of a cluster fudge for a connector trail. Plus it's icy and crowded. I would guess most of us have seen bad accidents on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
So you admit that you don't want an intermediate route to the summit so it keeps lower level skiers on the lower mountain and you can have it all to yourself.

What? Get a grip, that's not a logical conclusion.

I expressed my personal preference. Coming from a kid who spends a lot time focused on the way multi-million dollar snowmaking efforts should be used to benefit you personally, that is hollow outrage.

I would also say that as a dad who has to (at times) talk both wife and daughter (lower intermediates?) down through steep icy spots I chose Uncas over Pine Knot.  Pine Knot is narrow and if you stop almost anywhere you're a hazard.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I would think that mountain management considers that the upper mountain is the primary domain for the black diamond skiers and therefore, to spread out and separate the skiers they need to get as much of their terrain open so that it gets them off bombing the little kids on Sunway. In addition, trails like Lies will bring in more skiers than pine knot will. It's hard for a the "I want it all and I want it now" generation to see.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Harvey wrote
I would also say that as a dad who has to (at times) talk both wife and daughter (lower intermediates?) down through steep icy spots I chose Uncas over Pine Knot.  Pine Knot is narrow and if you stop almost anywhere you're a hazard.
Agree 100%.

From my window this morning it looks like they are blowing Echo.  Although it might be the finishing touches on Twister, can't be sure from this angle.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote

What? Get a grip, that not a logical conclusion.

I expressed my personal preference. Coming from a kid who seems spends a lot time focused on the way multi-million dollar snowmaking efforts should be used to benefit you personally, that is hollow outrage.

Bwahahah

Sno you're know-it-all attitude really sucks. Even for a college freshman from NJ, it sucks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Petronio
Just put my youngest in a 2 hour private lesson as I rest my legs in the lodge.  There was only one spot left for the 8:30 lessons. It's not yet 9 and the joint is hopping.  Going to be a busy day at Gore today, maybe the busiest since the '14-'15 season. So get here early!

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Twister.

Report says Lies open.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Sounds like Gore is in good shape.  Glad to see you guys got a lot of snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Petronio wrote
  Going to be a busy day at Gore today, maybe the busiest since the '14-'15 season. So get here early!
Actually not filling up as I expected - yesterday was definitely busier.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote

What? Get a grip, that's not a logical conclusion.

I expressed my personal preference. Coming from a kid who spends a lot time focused on the way multi-million dollar snowmaking efforts should be used to benefit you personally, that is hollow outrage.

From my perspective, my mom flat out refuses to ski any trail rated black under any circumstances.   For that reason, she would never ski Uncas or access the summit.  She would ski Pine Knot though, simply because it's rated blue.

She would've been stuck on the lower mountain all day and wouldn't have enjoyed herself much at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Harvey wrote
Twister.

Report says Lies open.
It is.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
It's mystifying to me that they open Uncas and Topridge before Pine Knot.  Uncas was a sh!t show with struggling intermediates yesterday.  There should be easy access to the top for everyone.  Cloud Shlepp to Cloud Out was my favorite trail for tiring my kids out when they were little, but I couldn't do it now without Pine Knot.

Good job opening Lies!

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Pine Knot is only a blue trail in perfect conditions, it has double and triple fall lines, skiers left is bare rock so it is usually ice under snow. Uncas in mo is an easier trail when groomed out, yes steeper , therefor more scarier for the intermediate but way more safer. Former Gore groomer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .

so much fun

Nice little snowfall going on at 2000 in N River, Gore should be just a little bit closer to the band than we are.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Another two tree inches overnight. OK not tree but I like saying it a la Camp.

Blustery but not cold.

Happy New Year!
1 ... 891011121314 ... 35