12345 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
  If I want to be well rested enough to have a hope of skiing the next day, then sleeping in the car is also out, as Brownski suggested that I do.
OMFG!!!! What a friggin spoiled little city boy. Sad, very sad
Ha! Millenials... What the hell is the world coming to? dude needs to park on a level spot is all...
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
More like a normal teenager with unusual and sensitive sleep cycles.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
More like a normal teenager with unusual and sensitive sleep cycles.

Uhm, never mind
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
  If I want to be well rested enough to have a hope of skiing the next day, then sleeping in the car is also out, as Brownski suggested that I do.
Ha! Millenials... What the hell is the world coming to? dude needs to park on a level spot is all...
Man, I can easily afford a hotel room but when I travel alone to hike or ski where it's more than a 3hr drive I have no problem with my air mattress and my winter bag in the back of my Subi. I'll bring my camp stove and have a hot breakfast in the AM.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
PeeTex wrote
Brownski wrote
campgottagopee wrote
snoloco wrote
Man, I can easily afford a hotel room but when I travel alone to hike or ski where it's more than a 3hr drive I have no problem with my air mattress and my winter bag in the back of my Subi. I'll bring my camp stove and have a hot breakfast in the AM.
That's all I'm saying.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't really enjoy sleeping in my car but I would definitely do the 4 hour daytrip if I needed to ski. If you can find a friend to split the drive with, it really isn't that big a deal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
4hrs is really nothing.  I've day tripped up to 6 hrs each way which is pretty rough.  4 is cake if you aren't a total whining baby still stuck to your mother's tit.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The young man has very soft and sensitive hands.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
SO is it looking like gore will be opening for Thanksgiving or should I just go over to Okemo or Killington?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Maybe 25% chance of them opening by Thanksgiving.  I'd avoid Killington due to the world cup that weekend.

Stowe could be a good choice for Thanksgiving Weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by northerncajun
northerncajun wrote
SO is it looking like gore will be opening for Thanksgiving or should I just go over to Okemo or Killington?
Gore employee told me today that Gore intends to open the day after Thanksgiving. Weather permitting, of course.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
In reply to this post by snoloco

Guns going here this morning. Hopefully for Thanksgiving. Sunway --> Quicksilver seems to be the plan for this year with the gondi.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The website says that Showcase was also a priority.

Not sure why they opened the way they did last year when they opened Showcase first if they went back to the old way this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
Guns were going on Foxlair this afternoon and there were piles of manmade at the base of Jamboree...  50's this week but its a start!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
Foxlair got about 12 hours of snowmaking last night, not too bad. We pushed close to 1.5 million gallons, not bad either. Snowmaking at the saddle too. Hopefully skiing Friday after Thanksgiving.

Here's another pic for you'll to feast your eyes on.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
This post was updated on .
My thoughts on opening day, now just a brief twelve days away.  

That anticipation, driving up the access road, anxious to see that first glimpse of the mountain.   Gondola spinning in the distance, gear is gathered as we set out across the asphalt, not yet slathered with the seasons slush and sand.  Rising over patio crest, unless the Earth has been generous, our eyes are greeted by a mixture of greenish grass and mud, intermixed with racks of skis awaiting a winter yet to come, ready to cradle our own boards.

We gather round a patio table, boot bags settling down, zippers opening, one can almost feel the rush of air from last seasons final spring days.  Beyond is the arena, a somewhat unsettling mass of mans white miracle.  The Hudson River, laid down in a semi-frozen mixture of slush, ice clumps and a rag tag chatter of bowls edge tree limbs straining under the weight of an occasional ice mass.  Guns silent, but looming in wait for the evenings chill.

Gear in hand, I watch as the mud oozes out from under my boots, step by step until my slushy walk off ends with the sound of the season's first pass scan.  Ritualistic is our demeanor as we step from slush onto the gondola landing, doors opening, skis stowed, I pace in parallel as my team loads.  In eye's corner I see gondola's rising as I pass through the cabin threshold.  

Another season has begun, and I am the luckiest of men, surrounded by my family, grown now, I am full of youthful memories and the energy that skiing has brought to my existence.  it is a force that binds us and reminds of who we are, where we've been.  It inspires me to forge on, into another year, it is life.

So lets not worry about the snow, the conditions, the bare spots.  None of that is important compared to the true riches and memories that this sport has been kind enough to grace our world with.

Let it snow.
Opening Day
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Here, here. Well said!
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
any updates??
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore NETTED a couple inches at the base, and obviously more up high.

The winds are absolutely ripping in the saddle.  Snowmaking ongoing, but the wind is definitely an issue.

Looks like Garnet Hill was able to groom Old Faithful, so that means at least 6-8 at 2000.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
12345 ... 35