Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Darkside Shaman
CMR wrote
What are those, generators?  Or pumps?

BTW... they are unfortunately emblazoned with the word "rental."
They are compressors that will enhance the air supply for the ski bowl as well as the entire snowmaking grid. And yes, they are rented as most ski areas do this time of year, not unfortunate in the least bit
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by freeheeln
Full water + Full air
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
For many mountains compressed air (or the cost of it) is the limiting factor on snowmaking.  This is even more true at Gore.  Gore is permitted and has the pumping capacity to move 9000 gallons per minute from the Hudson.  The installed air compression capacity allows Gore to make use of maybe 5000-6000 gpm. The snowgun improvements over the last five years have help, cut air is still a limiting factor.*

It's hard for me to see anything about that photo as unfortunate.  These are hugely expensive pieces of equipment lie idle for nine months of the year.  Be curious to know how the cost of a short term rental compares to the monthly payments for a full year.  I'm betting someone did that math.

I'm not sure if Gore has rented air capacity in the past, but when I look at that photo here is the thought process I imagine:

• Christmas is CRUCIAl for the season
• We had good start, but just got nailed with rain
• There looks to be a good window starting in the next few hours
• Let's up our game and make some snow

I like it.

(*My numbers are a few years old, but I believe the essence of my analysis is still legit.)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This is definitely a great thing for Gore.  I hope Whiteface rented some extra air too.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

playoneontv
In reply to this post by Harvey
Gore has always rented compressors as has Belleayre.  Not sure about Whiteface, but I don't think so.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
At higher wet bulbs, you run out of air capacity before you get to your max water capacity. So if the snow-makers' log says "maxed on air at 1 AM" it means they weren't able to push the system to it's full capacity. When it's colder, they need less air and can use all the water the pumps can handle (and the snow quality is way better also) That's why I get excited when I hear they're at max water. It means they're making every last snowflake their system can handle. If that is a short term rental, it's possibly a sign that they're pushing hard to expand terrain early (good) or it could be that they broke one or more  of their compressors (bad). It's also possible they bought them and just couldn't afford to purchase them new.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Gore has been renting compressors for a long time.

Now back to conditions:
Well the three day hiatus and the warm rain definitely did some damage. But, Ruby Run is now open to the Saddle which should alleviate some pressure off of the last drop on Foxlair. But, the terrain park location is still gonna cause a cluster this weekend.
Sunway is in pretty decent shape, as if the top half of Quicksilver. The middle and lower parts of Quicksilver were hurt the most by the weather and unless they can make ALOT of snow on those spots, tomorrow is gonna be loony through there.
3B and Jamboree were relatively ok. The bottom of Jamboree entering the base area is getting really thin.
Janitor told us they may be running Lift 1 tomorrow as well as Lift 8.
Next week's weather will be met with a huge welcome!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Is Lift 1 AE2 or Sunway?  Gondola is 8 I believe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
snoloco wrote
Is Lift 1 AE2 or Sunway?  Gondola is 8 I believe.
Hahahaha!! Gotcha grasshopper!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

DanM
I hear they have a compressor down somewhere and also increasing air capacity for the cold snap ahead...
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
DanM wrote
I hear they have a compressor down somewhere and also increasing air capacity for the cold snap ahead...
Wrong about the down...this is business as usual
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Got there today about 10.  Ruby Run and Sunway have good cover.  Quicksilver a mess halfway down, per usual.   Guns blasting on Arena and Lower Cloud.  I don't know what they are blowing on upper mountain.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
First day out?!

Why are they blowing on the upper mountain when they aren't blowing Uncas or Pine Knot (which are required to access it).
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Report now says blowing Tannery and Uncas in addition to Cloud and Headwaters. I stand corrected.  If they open those next weekend, they may well be ahead of Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by snoloco
Most likely blowing Uncas also.  Cant see that direction or up top from the Gondi unload (Bear).   Giant cloud of snow.  Although, strangely, its quiet too,  too quiet.  But something is happening.  Will be in good shape next weekly plus some natural coming through tonight along with colder temps.  

Top half of today's run was good.  Managed (mostly) chaos bottom half.  Busy, bare, and pebbles on QS.  Not dangerous, just congested for a bit.  Everybody behaving.  Oh of course they are, it's Gore.  Gotta like it.  Good taste of things to come very soon.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by snoloco
Yes it was our first day out.  We got two runs in a different then my youngest threw up and we had to cut it short.

Guns going at the base:

Petronio
12345678 ... 35