classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
700 messages Options
1 ... 20212223242526 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Petronio
Caught an edge (or something) on my 5th run at 9:30ish (at moderate speed coming down Hawkeye) and landed hard, jamming my knee.  Spent the rest of the day in front of the fire pit outside the base lodge waiting for the kids to finish.  A lot of people (including the kids) were saying Uncas was good.  Some people were complaining that it was 3 inches of powder on top of a base of ice, unedgeable.  My limited experience (Showcase, Powder Pass/North Star, Tahawus, Open Pit, Headwaters, Hawkeye, Tannery, Ruby Run, Showcase) was that whatever the groomers had gotten to after the snowfall skied well.

I'm hoping this is just a minor sprain of the LCL.  Pain is on the outside front of my right knee; similar less intense pain on the left.

Petronio

P.S. One bad episode:  a Gore instructor saw my daughter skiing on Topridge (well within her ability), skied up to her, told her "she was doing everything wrong" and "she looked scared as shit", and then when she protested she was fine he told her she "looked terrible".  She skied away crying.  What a motherfucker.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Petronio wrote
P.S. One bad episode:  a Gore instructor saw my daughter skiing on Topridge (well within her ability), skied up to her, told her "she was doing everything wrong" and "she looked scared as shit", and then when she protested she was fine he told her she "looked terrible".  She skied away crying.  What a motherfucker.
You should track him down and slip him a C note, you now never have to worry about her dating a ski instructor...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I did every Glade that was open, Boreas was good but not as good as on Friday.  Chatterbox was fine, tahaus was much better than on Friday when it was closed.  JJ glade was very nice, didn't do ski bowl glades but I saw some people head in
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Skied 6 glades today with Glade Runner and Cornhead.  MacIntyre, Boreas, Ski Bowl, High Pines, Snoopy's, and Chatterbox.  Passed up on Abenaki and Barkeater so we could get to High Pines before it closed.  Also skied Rumor and 46er.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
 One bad episode:  a Gore instructor saw my daughter skiing on Topridge (well within her ability), skied up to her, told her "she was doing everything wrong" and "she looked scared as shit", and then when she protested she was fine he told her she "looked terrible".  She skied away crying.  What a motherfucker.
Heal up Petronio, hopefully no big deal.

What a F-ing Richard! Seriously, WTF?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Somebody might be getting fired over that.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In reply to this post by snoloco
How was ski bowl, moxham was amazing first few runs of day powder on top of good grooming
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I didn't ski Moxham.  Only 46er and the Ski Bowl Glades.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
Somebody should be getting fired over that.

FIFY
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
'Loco - how were conditions today can I get some details! Skiing gore tmrw thanks!
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Everything was really good.  You can't go wrong skiing there tomorrow.  Glade said that Barkeater was really nice, but I didn't ski it.  46er was in good shape and the first time I ever skied the full length of it.  Wish I was able to spend more time at the Ski Bowl.  I was going to go right back to Gore tomorrow, but I don't want to do the long twisty drive back to Potsdam in the snowstorm.  High Pines under the Topridge lift was also fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio,

Have enjoyed your posts with great interest, family fun and all that the mountain lifestyle has to offer, especially @ Gore.  My first Gore Season's Pass is from 1965, Mom, Dad and seven kids skiing for under $200. (Still got it, Mom saved everything)

I am truly sorry to read of your daughter's experience on Topridge.  I have been with The Snow-Sports School since 1997, having taught, instructed and coached kids of all ages from four to eighty-four.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the guy or gal that ruined your darling's day; if I am that one, please shoot me before my colleagues stomp me to death with their ski boots.

All the best, ski you on the hill.

Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
snoloco wrote
Everything was really good.  You can't go wrong skiing there tomorrow.  Glade said that Barkeater was really nice, but I didn't ski it.  46er was in good shape and the first time I ever skied the full length of it.  Wish I was able to spend more time at the Ski Bowl.  I was going to go right back to Gore tomorrow, but I don't want to do the long twisty drive back to Potsdam in the snowstorm.  High Pines under the Topridge lift was also fun.
Thanks dude! Should be a good day tmrw especially if it starts snowing hard....free refills!
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
High Pines glade was probably the worst glade I did yesterday at Gore, icy crust under the 3 or so inches they received overnight, Barkeater was closed which was strange considering Boreas was open.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I can't reveal detail as there are secrets that must be kept even amongst the tightest of circles.  However, I can say that yesterday was the best skiing I've had at Gore, by far in probably two years.  

It snowed 4"-6" of clean soft fairly dry snow since the melt down, and it was totally untouched in multiple lines that we were working.  The snow pack is also starting to rise above the floor of the woods which is now consistently allowing skiers to carve in the trees or sit back on your rockers and ride the line down.

If you're in the know.  There are lines at Gore, that are legitimately in bounds, and offer skiing every bit as good of skiing as MRG's lower mountain (in the woods).  You just need to find it.

Karen in the woods
Karen in the woods, location confidential.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Oh, one last thing.  I would highly recommend contracting some form of severe 24-hour virus right now.  So you can call into work sick on Monday.  

Between the 6" of fresh POW in the woods now, and the 10"-14" on the way, I can guarantee you'll be sick on Tuesday knowing you missed skiing Monday.

Unfortunately, I will be on a plane to Louisiana on Monday, but I find solace knowing that Karen will be busting fresh POW for me.

Busting 6" of fresh POW and wondering how I can explain my pending sickness to my client.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
I think Gore is going to ski great today.  I was up for the 2-day master the mountain clinic and we were mostly on the pod with Hawkeye.  If anyone likes bumps, they had really big, fun bumps on quicksilver.  The mountain skied great!  

I had to leave at 2 a.m. due to a family issue unexpectedly and home in the flatlands.  But I obviously won't be there today.  Those who are there are in for a treat.  

On a personal note, it was a real treat to meet 64'er - thanks for your kindness and the drink.  

Gore is really a magical.  Conditions aren't always great (they were very good yesterday!) but the people and the hill are amazing. I am sure Gore has its share of issues, but I have found the mountain, the people, and the instructors to be really awesome.  

Anyone who is out today is in for a real treat!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Sorry I used the word 'treat' three times . . . .  Not much sleep last night ; )
Reply | Threaded
|

GoreMountainLodge
Pretty Freaking Awesome and getting better by the hour.  The natural snowmakers are doing their job working at full capacity!
Mark Parobeck, principal
GoreMountainLodge.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
NYSB has been tracking Gore snowfall since 2008-09.

With today's snowfall Gore is at 85 inches surpassing the pathetic snowfalls of 2014-15 where Gore totalled 82 inches of snow.

Next up is 2011-12 with 115 inches.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 20212223242526 ... 35