Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
 So if it is skied, it counts?
Nah, it all counts. This is no doubt the industry norm. As such it must be followed to get a good, a fair, an equal measurement or comparison.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
My morning was similar to PeeTex's. Started on Quicksilver while everyone else went for Twister and Showcase. Strategically hit some lesser travelled glades with alternate entrances, skied Burnt Ridge before an early lunch (Boreas was still sweet), then went to the top to hit some favorites up there. Lots of good snow to be had.

We even took a long run down Pipeline to mop up the Ski Bowl Glades at the end of the day.

I love Gore when it snows. So many different places to find pow.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
You can access the ski bowl from both barkeater and abenaki glades, correct?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah. We skied those in the late morning and didn't want to make the Trek down to the bowl at the time. One, because the Burnt Ridge quad is so nice and fast and two, we didn't know if there would be food at the Ski Bowl.

We wanted to hit it late, though, and we didn't have time to do the Twister/Echo/Cedars/BR Quad/Barkeater hustle.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
I did the pipeline with a friend of mine who never skied Gore on Saturday since we left BRQ and echo was closed for racing...he commented that Gore has a lot of horizontal terrain ;)
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
Burnt Ridge was in great shape today. packed powder on barkeater , boreas, tahawus and sagamore.
abenaki glades was not that hot. the low lying glades are in better shape.
hawkeye and chatamic were slick and not great.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by 64ER
64ER - happy to take you up on the offer.  

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Down in NC today and it is dumping straight down at what looks like a couple inches per hour. Should add up quick.  This weekend is going to be the best of the year.  Anyone out there today is just loving it.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Mountain skied great today, but I had to leave early for some work :( It was snowing pretty hard for 2+ hours. Very light snow right now at the glen.

A skier warned me that lies was icy on the headwall and skiers left, so I avoided it.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Conditions were great again today. Wind blown by the saddle and top of bear but otherwise very nice again. Pretty crowded today with a fair number of cars in lot E when we left early afternoon. Even with the extra crowds, conditions held up well through early afternoon. Enjoy the holiday weekend.

tom

Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I have never had a better day at Gore. From Rumor to Cirque Glades to the Ski Bowl, the whole mountain skied great. The crowd level indicated by the cars was never felt. One could get away and avoid lift lines quite easily.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I also had a great day.  I think Burnt Ridge is becoming my home mountain. One of em.

I also believe I was first to cut the cord on 46er.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Cars were packed down the entire access road and there were even two cars parked around the corner on peaceful valley road. It had to be a record attendance day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by Harvey
Started the day at the summit but quickly moved to Burnt Ridge and stayed there. Awesome awesome skiing. Was looking for some decent bumps and the woods of Burnt Ridge delivered. Definitely my favorite terrain pod at Gore by far.

Unfortunately it's all going to firm up now because it went to 50+ today and going below freezing tonight. Was contemplating heading back tomorrow, but not anymore given how warm it got today and how much it will firm up tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
I also had a great day.  I think Burnt Ridge is becoming my home mountain. One of em.

Saw you there with the young'n, I was skiing with the grand daughter.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Kleetus you be my brother from a different mother bra.

Another great day, super solid with frk. Great to ski with you bud.

Ski Bowl was sweet, softening first I'm guessing. Soon we ended up on Burnt Ridge, skiing Sagamore waiting on the trees.

We never saw the ropes drop on the BR woods, but we had some epic laps on piste.

Neve was in the groove on Sagamore. She wants me a bit too close really but if I get in that spot one turn behind, she won't stop.  I don't think I've ever done Sagamore T2B, certainly not while pushin taters.  Turn turn turn push Push PUSH.  My legs were on fire, I was just about to pull up and I saw the lift, that last steep pitch and banged it out with my last ounce of effort. It was a cool feeling. And boy that lift doesn't give you much rest.

This weekend demonstrates why I Iove all of Gore's horizontal. I'd bet Gore was, like yesterday, filled to capacity, in the lodges and parking lots.  I skied the summit, the north, BR and the Bowl, never saw the base, or any mass of humanity.  Dark Side and Straightbrook lines were the worst and they were less than 5 mins. Under the SB lift was so nice, Mineshaft too.

Now into the woods, before she sets...
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Looks like a Gore has been skiing great lately. I was there MLK weekend (not terribly busy) and I thought the skiing was about 90%. Great, but the trees were not in play, and Sagamore, (my favorite) was not open. Gore must be like heaven at this point. Well, maybe for a few more days anyway.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Harvey wrote

Only part way!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes I skied the whole headwall before I walked back up.  I'm hoping history will forget that footnote.

Tammy posted on Facebook that today was an all-time skier visit record for Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Harvey wrote
Tammy posted on Facebook that today was an all-time skier visit record for Gore.
Odd, because Saturday the cars were parked literally all the way down to (and on) Peaceful Valley Road, and the mountain never felt crowded, but today the runs and lifts felt much more crowded, but the cars were not parked nearly as far down.

Petronio

(P.S. anyone else yesterday see the Lexus SUV driver who pulled a u-turn on the mountain road and totally smashed a poor guy up into the snowbank?)

(P.P.S. if anyone hears about someone trying to sell a pair of Head Rev 85s let me know -- in the confusion of accounting for all the kids' stuff I totally brain-farted and left my skiis leaning on one of the red sawhorses in the near parking lot yesterday.  No one turned them in to lost and found, so if the same pair suddenly turn up in the NY area secondhand market I will be suspicious.)
1 ... 22232425262728 ... 35