700 messages Options
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

snoloco
Harvey wrote
NYSB has been tracking Gore snowfall since 2008-09.

With today's snowfall Gore is at 85 inches surpassing the pathetic snowfalls of 2015-16 where Gore totalled 82 inches of snow.

Next up is 2011-12 with 115 inches.
FIFY
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Harvey wrote

With today's snowfall Gore is at 85 inches surpassing the pathetic snowfalls of 2015-16 where Gore totalled 82 inches of snow.

FIFY
http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mtn-Average-Annual-Snowfall-2008-2016-td5001402.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
You listed 11-12 twice.  The one with 115" was 14-15.  Only reason it was a good season is because it was consistently cold.  I will notemail that WF has gotten over twice as much snow as Gore this year and is at 177.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

With today's snowfall Gore is at 85 inches surpassing the pathetic snowfalls of 2011-12 where Gore totalled 82 inches of snow.

Next up is 2014-15 with 115 inches.
FIFY for real.  Now it's correct
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Skied today and had a hard time leaving because the snow kept piling up. A bit scratchy at first then the snow and wind started jazzing things up. There is nothing more fun than skiing during a storm. My favorite of the day was high pines. Wind drifts slowly covered up the crusty stuff. The wind was blowing snow up the hill especially on top ridge. It was bonding to the hard pack and should make for great skiing early in week. BTW, there is a one inch crust and white ice lurking under powder on top. This new snow should provide a safety net when skiing this stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by 64ER
64ER wrote
Petronio,

Have enjoyed your posts with great interest, family fun and all that the mountain lifestyle has to offer, especially @ Gore.  My first Gore Season's Pass is from 1965, Mom, Dad and seven kids skiing for under $200. (Still got it, Mom saved everything)

I am truly sorry to read of your daughter's experience on Topridge.  I have been with The Snow-Sports School since 1997, having taught, instructed and coached kids of all ages from four to eighty-four.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the guy or gal that ruined your darling's day; if I am that one, please shoot me before my colleagues stomp me to death with their ski boots.

All the best, ski you on the hill.
Thanks, I was doubly frustrated because (1) if I hadn't hurt myself I would have been skiing with them and it wouldn't have happened, and (2) this asshole destroyed 5 years of confidence-building in 30 seconds.

But, my girls have to be resilient to episodes like this to succeed in life, because the world is full of assholes.  So she'll get back on the hill this weekend, and I'll probably put her in a lesson first thing Saturday morning -- not that she desperately needs it, but more so that hopefully she can get back out with some more positive feelings.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think a lesson is a good idea.

Patrol is a large group at Gore, I've met mostly great people, but not all.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
The conditions at Gore yesterday were fantastic.  Fresh tracks on every run.  We put in from the Ski Bowl as usual, headed over to Burnt Ridge and hit the glades, only to return to the Ski Bowl after two runs, at which time we had fantastic time in the woods and on the 46er.

Today will be off the charts as long as it doesn't get too windy.

I took some video of Karen tearing up fresh powder on the 46er.

Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Storm skiing GORE yesterday was absolutely one of the top 3 days I've had there ever.  Hardly anyone there, free refills, great conditions everywhere.

One issue though - so many of the glades were closed, I sampled a few and they seemed fine to me.  Even twister glades were apparently opened after lunch, then by the time I got over there around 2:15 they were closed.  WTF
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Harvey wrote

With today's snowfall Gore is at 85 inches surpassing the pathetic snowfalls of 2014-15 where Gore totalled 82 inches of snow.

Don't mean to quibble, but here goes. The 8" in October was long gone before Gore started making the base for opening day. Unless someone skinned up at Gore and skied it, I wouldn't count it.

That said, I appreciate NYSB keeping track
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Storm Skiing yesterday made me go back today.  I haven't been to the summit in a couple weeks and decided to check it out yesterday at lunch time.  Noticed all the good glades were closed which kept them good...but after a bit and over to dark side I went back to Burnt Ridge and Ski Bowl.  Today everything was open...yes everything(but it took time to get the lifts open to get to everything) even Cirque. Very windy! It was fairly crowded for a Monday but everything I skied, skied well.  This is the way skiing is supposed to be...and the ski bowl was warmer and much less windy and deep
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
I've heard those arguments before, and I certainly understand them.  Everyone seems to have their own rules, many or most would probably agree with you.

I like to know how much snow fell in the season.  Last year the biggest snowfall of the year at Gore was 7" after the mountain closed.  Does that count?  What about six inches that falls from 8pm-midnight and then after that it pours rain until 8am and you have a net loss of snow? What about Hickory in a season where lifts don't spin until February - does any of the snow that fell in December or January count?

My numbers primarily come from Emily and I think she uses very conservative totals. When I am at our place (within a few miles at 1900') her numbers always stack up to mine, except she never counts any snow that falls before Thanksgiving.  

I started keeping the numbers because she doesn't publish any annual total and the way she does the 24 hour thing makes it really hard to keep track.  And I should say she agrees with you as she has occasionally busted me for adding in pre and post lift-service snowfall.

Whatever. It's a royal pain in the ass to do it, and since we are now NYSB and no longer a Gore Ski Blog, I should probably discontinue the practice. I guess I am a creature of habit.  As long as I am exerting the effort, I figure I'll do it in a way that makes me happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
After a tiring day in the BC yesterday I went to Gore for an off the hook powder day. Everything but the HSQ was on wind hold and that was a brutal ride. I was one of the first few chairs. As I took the ride up I noticed that they must have groomed Showcase late and the wind was keeping the trail fairly clean with a little powder on the sides. So the place to be was those trails that were wind protected and the crowds would pass up on their first run - Quicksilver - bingo! Three laps of freshies before people figured that out. At that point Sleeping bear opened and it was a quick jaunt over to Tahawus glades, Bingo again. Then a triple lap on Northstar - bingo again. By that time the summit double was opened and I decided to forget that and go for the ski bowl. A quick trip down to the BRQ and down through Abanaki, it was pretty well tracked but still a few good lines. Tried JJs and the ski bowl glades, they had all been hit pretty hard so I went back to BR and down through Tahawus again - bingo, still some good lines. Then I noticed the Gondi was turning so a trip up to Bear and caught the guy opening cave, BIngo. The triple was not running so up to the summit. Most everything there had been pretty well skied and it was around 1 so I decided to head home - but first a trip to a late day powder stash - Little dipper - bingo, I had do go one more time up the quad as I notice twin fawns had several more lines in it and I lapped it twice - bingo. Then a beer and home - had not had a day like that in several years.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio,

Thanks for responding. This coming President's Week is going to be super busy at all Northeast Ski Areas, thanks to our recent Ma Natural snowfalls.  Booking a lesson, especially a Private (if that's what you are looking for your daughter) can be a challenge.  If I may offer some assistance, please reply.

I'm not hustling you.  We have several Ab-Fab young lady coaches that are either ripping X-racers, gnarly Tree-slayers, silky smooth Groomer-gals, or all of the above that your daughter would enjoy skiing with and resume charging down the pitch.  Only easier and faster than she thought possible.

If this is of interest to you and your family, please touch base with Harvey for my contact info.

All The Best, Ski You On The Hill.

PS- Don't ski Double-barrel, 12" of blower-dry fluff on Glacial ledges, just sayin'.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Very awesome PT.

On Saturday Quicksilver had very large, fun bumps - were the bumps there under the powder, or groomed out instead?
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Harvey wrote
Last year the biggest snowfall of the year at Gore was 7" after the mountain closed.  Does that count?

Yes. I know people who hiked up and did Rumor on that snow.
Harvey wrote
What about six inches that falls from 8pm-midnight and then after that it pours rain until 8am and you have a net loss of snow?
Anything that falls well within the season counts.
Harvey wrote
Whatever. It's a royal pain in the ass to do it, and since we are now NYSB and no longer a Gore Ski Blog, I should probably discontinue the practice.
PLEASE, NO!!! We need this.

No offense or criticism was intended. I know where the numbers come from. I was just pointing out that the count is good without the 8" from October, unless someone skied it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
Very awesome PT.

On Saturday Quicksilver had very large, fun bumps - were the bumps there under the powder, or groomed out instead?
The bumps were gone, must have been groomed out.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Pics from that day, Twister was the place to be, as it had been buried deep for racing.

Second photo is my main man Square Eddy...

So if it is skied, it counts?

I'm interested in how much snow falls at Gore. Lift ops and snowmaking aren't something I care to track.

I don't take it as criticism from you Sponge, you da man.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Spongeworthy wrote
Harvey wrote
What about six inches that falls from 8pm-midnight and then after that it pours rain until 8am and you have a net loss of snow?
Anything that falls well within the season counts.
How would you feel if the mountain reported 6" of new snow the next day?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I'm eating dinner at Bush Intercontinental in Houston, but I'm happy to report that my team spent the day trashing fresh POW in the Ski Bowl.  

The report back was "unbelievable" "fresh tracks" "hit a ton of cliffs""

1 ... 21222324252627 ... 35