"Everything in play."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

sudsnbumps
This post was updated on .
Oh what a day and I left at Lunchtime.  Everything in play depending on how much you like your skis.  The base in areas was rough...most of the time today the rope was up for the right reasons...most of the time   It was weird today...IMHO generally 6-8" but the darkside seemed to be well over a foot.  Darkside Glade was great with freshies and still great after being skied.  Summit had the best snow. I stayed away from low mountain glades...rope or not.  I really liked Sagamore but it was interesting...Freshies at the top and strange moguls at the bottom...great workout  Work the vibes for this thing on Monday.  This storm was good. One more would be great!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
"everything in play"....funny...that's exactly what I texted my cohorts

Upper mtn woods definitely in. Lower mtn, buyer beware. Twister G is ready to take out somebody's ACL--fair warning. And stream crossing at exit.

Just remember that any of those valley/ravine type areas REALLY took a hit with previous melt and rain. What snow we just got is nowhere near enough to recover.  That's all I'll say about that.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice shot suds.  Snowing nicely up here at 1900.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowing alternating from light to moderate. Trees are thin but fun. Haven't skied the whole mountain yet but so far Dark Side best.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Another nice day on the hill today. I thought the steeps were a bit scratchy even early, bit most everything else skied nicely. Echo and Sagamore were probably my favorites for the day. Some thin spots showing on twister and 2B. Quite a bit more snow up higher.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv I skied by you as you were contemplating Dark side glades - sorry I didn't stop to chat, I was keeping up with my daughter.

Conditions range from ok to great.  Lies headwall scraped down by 10 a.m. but rest of trail was nice.  Hawkeye was ok.  Uncas better in morning, kind of scraped by afternoon.  Lower Darby was fun.  Tahawus nice.  Twister better in upper half, getting scraped below. Sagamore was great.  Echo is in great shape.  High point of the day was Powder Pass to North Star - we did it 4 times and kept finding untracked powder.  Also our first run of the day at 8:15 down Showcase -- beautiful coating of fresh snow on top of groomer.

Overall we had a great day today - skied 8:15 to 3:30 with a half hour for lunch.  My legs are jello.

You can see the ice base in some places.  Praying for more snow so we can do a few days during Easter week.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ha! Probably just tired. So beat.

I should have hit Powder Pass. Those are the kind of mistakes you make skiing alone.

Tahawas trees were good, High Pines was fun, but very thin at the bottom.

Good day, but I think i may go with an early alarm and hit P one more time.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Yesterday was my first day back on skis after a self inflicted injury procured at Jay Peak in a deep powder frenzy during the first week of February.  It felt good to be back on skis, would have preferred the Mono, but I needed to back off the weight and yielded to my bamboo Solomons.  

We started with Barkeater, which skied great, as long as you paid attention to the bottom scrape and wood.  Sagamore had great packed powder at the top, but once below the second flat, became dicy.  On average good run though.  Tahawas was excellent, in fact everything on the North side was in really great shape (Gore if you're reading this, please upgrade that lift!)  Open Pit, to Mineshaft was very good, as was Headwaters to Tannery.  Uncas by the time we got there was firming up.  My favorite run of the day was The Trenches.

If this next Nor'Easter pans out it's going to go a long way toward snow preservation and should help set the stage for the meltdown, which will likely begin in about 10 days.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
What is the trenches?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Actually its "The Trench"...but I said trenches because once you get into it, there are a few lines to take before you get to the orange arrows nailed to the trees.....when exiting yield to the left and you'll go through a neat rabbit hole..

Enter from Upper Sleigh Ride, trail right, look for the glade entry sign....yesterday the trench on the right on entry seemed to have better snow...it should be nice after this storm if you can get first claim on it
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Its not a natural "terrain park" like the glade off showcase?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
In reply to this post by MikePom
Also....take a look at the radar with check out the position of the blocking high....its right on top of Westport which hopefully pushes the snow bands right over Gore....keeping fingers crossed...could pick up a good foot from this one....
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Its a really narrow trail through the trees from upper sleigh ride down to showcase where USR dumps into it....short, but fun...breaks the boredom at what I would consider a rather mundane part of the mountain
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
Its not a natural "terrain park" like the glade off showcase?
Its a couple of single track lines with some natural jumps. The kids love it. You just have to be careful that some little one hasn't bit it ahead of you as there are some blind turns and its a little tight. You enter off of upper sleighride and it drops you at the intersection of upper sleighride and showcase. Forever wild is the terrain park in the woods further down between lower sleighride and showcase.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I don't know gents, but this forecast is starting to look more and more like March is really going to deliver the goods this year......

10 Day Forecast
10 - Day Forecast Courtesy of Weather Underground

Could be some mighty fine skiing heading our way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
For those in the know is there any chance of the Hudson Chair for Friday or the weekend? How is the base down there? I was semi-surprised to hear that barkeater opened last Sunday. Would have to think all the burnt ridge glades will be in play after this storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
After skiing last Saturday my wild ass guess is "no" but I am also surprised that Barkeater was open last weekend.  Tahawas was skiable but thin, the only thing I thought was reasonable was darkside.

In other news with the 5 inches reported day Gore is now at 100 inches for the season:

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/2017-2018/
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Good news on the 100”. Surprised they only picked up 5”.  Does anyone know if it’s still snowing?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 Gore is now at 100 inches for the season:
I still like Gore, but ^this is their biggest problem.

Jay Peak is over 300" again this year. Stowe had 204" before this storm.

If Gore had NoVT's snow totals, it'd be one of the best mountains in the east.
1 ... 18192021222324 ... 31