612 messages Options
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

DomB
Let me know how it is guys.  Enjoy!

Thinking of taking 'me' days either next Thursday/Friday or the following.  Haven't even gotten to Gore or WF this season.  
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Basically the same as yesterday except it got softer sooner. Darkside and North  were firm and fast through 2:30PM when I left due to exhaustion. Twister, Sagamore and Sleeping Bear are on their last legs.

A liftie said This could be the last week for 7 day operation but the they were hoping to open for two additional weekends. That wouldn't be bad at all.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I should have said that the groomers did a great job last night. The place looked so much better this morning than yesterday afternoon.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
So I'm going to eat my words from my last post in this thread about Belle. Ended up there today and it was sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by DomB
It was great:

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Awesome.  What trail is the second picture with Rumor in the background?  Happy Easter to all!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Uncas
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco

A rare groomed Rumor skied well today.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The Gore webcam shows a sorry state of affairs with regards to coverage on the lower mountain.  Now I know for a fact there's plenty of snow up top, but they will have to download if they hope to make the 15th.  Tannery and Uncas are fine and that route is a must to download.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
The backside of this rain...if you're reading this...look screen right at the radar image....brings colder temps in....tonight it goes below freezing and tomorrow it stays cold setting up for 1"-3" (pray for 3") of snow on Friday...just enough to help stem off mud creep....

The 10 day forecast (Keep the fingers crossed and start burning some more skis!!) is showing 6"-10" of snow next week.....which would really make for some amazing spring conditions and help push the season out a few more weeks.

I'm just hoping the State has balls big enough to tough it out.....What ever happened to the days of downloading?  They treat that word like its a disease or something......go ahead Gore Mgmt....you can say it....spit it out....."""Downloading"""

10 Day Forecast
10 Day Forecast Courtesy of Weather Underground

I need for this shit to soften up damnit....I need to get some Monoski runs in before the season craps out on me!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
That kind of precip event is usually elevation based and no amount of snow is going to save the lower mountain.  It's down to dirt and rocks.

Downloading is uncommon nowadays due to improvements in snowmaking.  The only places where it makes sense is where you have a lot of vertical (like Whiteface).  Otherwise you can plan to make enough snow down low to preserve a route to the base.  Whiteface will never download again and will close the upper before the lower because they're no longer an advanced skiers mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
snoloco wrote
That kind of precip event is usually elevation based and no amount of snow is going to save the lower mountain.  It's down to dirt and rocks.

Downloading is uncommon nowadays due to improvements in snowmaking.  The only places where it makes sense is where you have a lot of vertical (like Whiteface).  Otherwise you can plan to make enough snow down low to preserve a route to the base.  Whiteface will never download again and will close the upper before the lower because they're no longer an advanced skiers mountain.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I heard they are going to use dynamite this summer to make skyward a blue.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
But the LODGE!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I honestly wouldn't put it past them.  They already took away Hoyt's and Lookout Below from us, what's to say they won't take away Skyward?

Back to Gore this cool down saved their butt and they will be open beyond this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Oh...I heard they were using dynamite budget to put snowmaking in the slides to make it more intermediate friendly and cover up the rocks.  Lotta rumors I guess.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Aren’t most of the trails groomed at WF? I know it has pitch but if it’s all groomed is it really that much of an expert mountain?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This year yes.  Partly because they didn't open two bump runs Hoyt's and Lookout Below.  And the groomed Lower Sky and Mac way more than they used to even if it would've skied well ungroomed.  But they didn't really open that either because they didn't blow the top part for unknown reasons.  And Mac was always super thin and closed quick.  The only upper trail they ever resurfaced or cared about being in good condition was Excelsior.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Look I know I'm on thin firm right now but do you REALLY think the people running Whiteface don't CARE about the skiing product?

You understand a lot about "operations" snoloco. It's human nature and motivations where you need to dig deeper.

There is a hell of a lot that goes into each season at Whiteface. This crap about "don't care" is way off base.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Oh I know they care, just not about advanced skiers anymore.
1 ... 21222324252627 ... 31