classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 262728293031
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Ethan Snow
Yeah, what's the deal with Straightbrook? I might actually drive 3 hours tomorrow if it was open.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Two lifts tomorrow. How was today?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The mountain tops are all iced over, it might be fine. I hung the skis up 2 weeks ago.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Before anyone calls me out, this is the point forecast for the top of Gore, or almost, 3400 feet:

Accuweather says it is 29 right now in town calling for a  high of 47, so the overnight trend seems to be up.

Our thermometer is really old up but if accurate says 27 here at 1900.

No jinx...

ETA: Car backs up the outdoor thermometer, 28 degrees.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
19 here in SW corner of adks.  Will be a while before things soften.  Who is pond skimming?   Brrr!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
33 degrees and 100% bluebird skys here in Johnsburg at 1,500 ft or so....the snow pack at our camp is a firm hard crust....but.....it is liquifying in the April sun....a few more hours and things should be softening...

My pond skimming days are over....about 7 years ago...dressed as a "Man Baby".....I sheared off my Humerus exiting the pond at a high rate of speed when I hit the tarp which was well exposed from the splash washout....scored a 9 in all categories and took first place.....but it totally wasn't worth it...I would however, highly recommend everyone participate in the festivities....while I score some corn snow on Uncas!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Skiing is good.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Hurry, Run,  beacaue you’re missing it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Awesome day. Top Ridge was the shizzle. Great to meet you Mike.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Any intel on Rumor today? Probably driving up tomorrow for the day and want to get my traditional soft Rumor laps to close out the Gore season.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I'll try to get up a more detailed post with some pics later tonight.   But all I can say right now is that if you don't go to Gore tomorrow it will be a huge mistake.  If you're not packed, fueled up or already on the road.....start packing now......EPIC
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Oh and Harvey....it was a pleasure....lets make some turns together tomorrow.....
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Harv I can't believe I didn't see you today.  I lapped Topridge so many times.  We went up top and had first tracks on Chati...honest I thought it was open...and it was really good later on(once opened), too...rumor was eh and it was only from the cut thru...but I went back to Topridge and stayed there until the rope went up.  I can't wait until tomorrow.  I am poaching lies if they don't open it.  I heard a smattering of rumors that next week is a possibility...any truth?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Eddy

BRLKED

MC and Mark, Topridge was incredible

Suds, I saw you from afar on the deck, but by the time I got there  you were gone.

Today was great fun, there was trenchable snow all day, from opening bell. Tomorrow should be sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by MikePom
MikePom wrote
I'll try to get up a more detailed post with some pics later tonight.   But all I can say right now is that if you don't go to Gore tomorrow it will be a huge mistake.  If you're not packed, fueled up or already on the road.....start packing now......EPIC
I am fueled and packed. Just gotta get in the car and drive in the early AM. I'll be there tomorrow. Only reason I wasn't today was lingering work issues from my Tahoe trip.

Planning to get there by 10 at the latest. If anybody wants to make turns I would be happy to oblidge...although I'm guessing l'll run into the NYSB crew regardless
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Nice pics, Harv. I got a couple of you:

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Still dragging my pole. Is there more to that bottom shot?

Rumor was dicey! when I was on it.

Yes Mike nice to meet you too.  I look forward to tmros mono rocking..

Kleetus! Say hi!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
Still dragging my pole. Is there more to that bottom shot?
That was the panoramic version. This was the regular shot:
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Yesterday was one of the most amazing spring experiences I've ever had at Gore.  The snow pack is beyond comprehension.  I know there are probably bare spots lurking just below the surface, but I have to say that I've never experienced such epic day of not only skiing, but taking in the beauty of the mountain.

Whatever happened in the last storm event, it was magical, and it brought the mountain back to late February or Early March conditions, but with the warmth and length of day only found in late April or early May.

Gore summit from Uncas
Gore Summit from Uncas

Straightbrook in April
Straightbrook loaded with snow, skiable along with Double Barrel

Snow Ghosts
Snow ghosts on Gore Summit, April 21, 2018, amazing!

Team Pomarico
My Team on Topridge which like a Phoenix rose from the ashes for closing weekend!

We are all stoked for another great day on the mountain and will be tearing it up for sure.

On another note:

We were all saddened to hear a rumor that Gore has decided to dismantle the Yurt at the Ski Bowl.  This is unconfirmed of course, but as it was described, it appears that the Nordic Skiers don't like the Alpine Skiers walking across the track.  I don't have any further detail on this yet.

If this is true, loss of the Yurt would, in my opinion, be tragic.  I've fostered many friendships at the Yurt.  Friendships that will last for years.  And every season, since its inception, the Yurt opened this magical portal into skiing day's past.  We check the ski report every weekend on hope the Ski Bowl (and the Yurt) would be open, anxious to revisit the intimacy it offered, to not only access a great mountain in a great way, but also to rekindle our friendships, get lost in the Ski Bowl and support Gore's endeavor to bring success to the interconnect, Burnt Ridge and everything down slope of the main mountain.

Perhaps the NYSB mind trust can uncover more information on this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice TR Mike. (Should be a TR :)

Yesterday first tracks were good I'm heading over.
1 ... 262728293031