classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 25262728293031
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

MC2 5678F589
All that writing, why didn't you just answer his question?

Spongeworthy wrote
1. AEII
7. Straightbrook Quad
8. Northwoods Gondola
10. Topridge Triple
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was just bustin, trying to be funny. Apologies.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Ha, I wish I had the knowledge on WF goods that some of you guys have at Gore, but any time!

Thanks for the intel on the possible lifts.  Unless Ruby and Foxlair are done it would seem a bit redundant to run AEII and the Gondola, no?

If WF doesn’t look like it’ll soften then I may consider Gore, which would leave me asking for someone to show me whatever goods are left!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
No worries....I knew he was busting my balls!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I wondered about running the AE as well.  I think it's a good thing if it means lower mountain terrain is in play. NWS is saying high 33, accuweather has it warmer.

WF has had a bunch of snow this week?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hoping both trend warmer!  There has been a few inches here and there in the Placid/Whiteface forecast, including anywhere from 2 to 6 from now through Friday night.  Who knows what they actually get.

Placid/Whiteface base/Wilmington forecast is looking maybe 40+.  However, up at 4,800 it might not get above freezing.  Seeing similar for North Creek/Gore Base versus Gore summit.  A 10+ degree difference base to summit seems like a lot this time of year, no?
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
JTG4eva! wrote
Hoping both trend warmer!  There has been a few inches here and there in the Placid/Whiteface forecast, including anywhere from 2 to 6 from now through Friday night.  Who knows what they actually get.

Placid/Whiteface base/Wilmington forecast is looking maybe 40+.  However, up at 4,800 it might not get above freezing.  Seeing similar for North Creek/Gore Base versus Gore summit.  A 10+ degree difference base to summit seems like a lot this time of year, no?
Not uncommon. All depends on the airmass and lapse rates. Could be anywhere from 3 degrees per 1000ft of vertical to as much as 9.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Kleetus wrote
Not uncommon. All depends on the airmass and lapse rates. Could be anywhere from 3 degrees per 1000ft of vertical to as much as 9.
Hey, I’m no weather geek!  My spidey (or squirrelly) sense made me want to say that the differences get less pronounced and wouldn’t be a factor as we move out of arctic air masses this time of year.....but 3 degrees per 1,000vf would be a 9 degrees difference between base and summit at WF!  Where’s that cT air when we need it!?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NWS highs creeping up a bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Gonna hit that big five O!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Is 50 the ideal spring temp?  I think 38 could be good?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
At 50 Sweet Corn starts to grow!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey, you're really harshing the mellow around here.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Dude....if you had to drive 3 hours for a hopeful day of spring skiing you’d be obsessing a bit, too!  Doesn’t help when forecasts are all over the place, but I guess we gotta trust in you locals....
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm not "local" either, but I guess my 1 hour drive lowers the ante a bit.

I also feel like I never truly regret making a drive to the mountains. Even the worse days can be turned around. I might bring the bike and hit up Gurney on the way back if conditions are that bad (they won't be, though)

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I thought that was good news.  Rising high decreasing clouds.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
You've got a pond skim and band on Saturday at whiteface and pond skim on Sunday at Gore. Even if the skiing stinks you have built in entertainment as long as someone doesn't try to jump the crowd like the idiot at copper last saturday.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
from gore's web site

"Tickets are just $29 for ages 13+ and $15 for ages 7-12- and frequent skier card discounts apply to those reduced rates!  We'll be enjoying rockin' tunes from the Willie Playmore Band on Saturday from 1-4pm, and our Pond Skimming Contest is Sunday at 11am.  It has been an active week of weather and Mother Nature is keeping a very wintery grip on our summit.  So we'll start with the Northwoods Gondola and Topridge Triple, and add the Straight Brook Quad to the mix if and as weather allows.  We have been grooming the summit terrain extensively throughout the week and just need a few extra degrees in the air to get the lift on the move- we are working on it! "

i like the ticket price lets hope they pull the trigger on straight brook. see ya sunday
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Tough weekend to call...my brain says sleep in and ski Gore tomorrow then hit whiteface Sunday...my heart says the other way around.  Brain: tomorrow afternoon will soften at Gore but much later at WF.  Heart: it could be a powder day at wF...logic is looking for a conditions report today from WF.  I like to end the season at my home...the hike up from cloud is not too bad if they don't open straightbrook
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
1 ... 25262728293031