Gore Mountain Adirondack Express Replacement.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
511 messages Options
1 ... 2223242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Mountain Adirondack Express Replacement.

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Snowballs wrote
snoloco wrote
 The new runs faster and fits 4 instead of 3.  That is why it has fewer chairs.
IDK, many times chairs go half full and now there's 77 or 33%-ish less chairs ? Does the new lift run 33%+ faster ?

OR....

214 x 3 = 642 riders

VS.

137 x 4 = 548 riders
The new lift will run around 1,000 fpm.  The old one was 600-700 fpm.  They advertised it as 40% faster.  There were many empty chairs on the old lift too.  Think about the chair count.  The new would need to have 75% as many chairs as the old to have the same capacity.  It has less than that, so it will need to run faster and it will, but will have more capacity.  Capacity only increases by 300 pph, but the old often had some chairs removed, so even less capacity.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
snoloco wrote
 The new runs faster and fits 4 instead of 3.  That is why it has fewer chairs.
IDK, many times chairs go half full and now there's 77 or 33%-ish less chairs ? Does the new lift run 33%+ faster ?

OR....

214 x 3 = 642 riders

VS.

137 x 4 = 548 riders
I think your math is flawed...better divide by 2 since only the half going up has riders.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
The new lift will run around 1,000 fpm.  The old one was 600-700 fpm.  They advertised it as 40% faster.  There were many empty chairs on the old lift too.  Think about the chair count.  The new would need to have 75% as many chairs as the old to have the same capacity.  It has less than that, so it will need to run faster and it will, but will have more capacity.  Capacity only increases by 300 pph, but the old often had some chairs removed, so even less capacity.
The HS triple ran around 800-850fpm. We shall see if they actually run the new hsq at 1000fpm.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Mike told me that the old triple ran 600-700 fpm and that the gondola is run around 900 fpm while the BRQ is 950-1000.  I would think that since they advertised the speed that the new lift will run at the full 1000 fpm, but if they didn't it wouldn't be the first time ORDA did false advertising, like hard marketing of Gore's vertical.

That would really suck if they didn't run at full speed because it would mean no extra runs and not as much capacity for the bottleneck that is Gore's base area.  Still, compared to sitting on a piece of plywood,  some padding on the new lift will be much appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The thing that confuses me is the strong perception I had that when you were riding the triple, the gondola was just a little bit faster. Not too much, just enough so that you would slowly fall behind.  Like maybe 10%?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If the gondola is running 850 fpm and the triple at 700, it isn't much of a speed difference.  The gondola was definitely faster than the triple, but the new lift should be faster than the gondola.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
snoloco wrote
If the gondola is running 850 fpm and the triple at 700, it isn't much of a speed difference.  The gondola was definitely faster than the triple, but the new lift should be faster than the gondola.
You are correct Sir!

Now, with regards to the inaugural lift-off of the AE-II, are you planning to attend?  It's sure to be an opportunity to ride up in style, slide down with other Snow-Sports enthusiasts and Apres-Ski with all kinds of Gapers.  Not sayin' there's gona'be be fireworks, but BBQ is pretty solid.

Ski you there.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I don't think I will be there.  I don't want to go to some faraway mountain on Thanksgiving and have to deal with the hoards and hoards of people all trying to travel at the same time.  Hunter will be the furthest away I go.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
snoloco wrote
GPS has the answer. When I was at Gore the triple ran 800-850 and so did the gondola. The max speed of the gondola is 1100.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I still have no reason not to believe what Mike said.  I don't think he would lie to me about the lift speed when I asked him.  They advertised the speed, so it should run that speed, otherwise, that is false advertising.  Why spend money on a new lift and not run it any faster.  Just going to spend the same to me sitting on the lift, but at least on a more comfortable chair.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Why spend money on a new lift and not run it any faster.
The original lift was 30 years old.  The new lift should be considerably more reliable.

Hunter added a new six-pack and barely increased capacity, spacing chairs to keep uphill volume the same.

If faster is better are you ok with one chair every 200 yards and a lift that runs at 6000 fpm?

Or is the goal to run the lift as fast as possible and max it with chairs?

Please to all forgive me.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
IMO, it appears that Sno is simply expressing his youthful enthusiasm again. He wishes for a fast lift so he can ski more. He wishes for more trails to ski on, etc. These are thoughts we've all had. Many of us sometimes avoid slow lifts as it eats up time that could be spent sliding downhill.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Snowballs wrote
IMO, it appears that Sno is simply expressing his youthful enthusiasm again. He wishes for a fast lift so he can ski more. He wishes for more trails to ski on, etc. These are thoughts we've all had. Many of us sometimes avoid slow lifts as it eats up time that could be spent sliding downhill.
True, but I was attacked when I mentioned upgrading the North Quad which seems like a prime candidate to be high speed.  It's a fixed grip that serves an area catered to much lower ability levels and runs slowly and is stopping constantly as a result.  Upgrading that means less people in the base area and less lift lines.  Unfortunately this will take a lot of money of which ORDA does not have any, so they keep long slow lifts around instead of upgrading them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
I still have no reason not to believe what Mike said.  I don't think he would lie to me about the lift speed when I asked him.  They advertised the speed, so it should run that speed, otherwise, that is false advertising.  Why spend money on a new lift and not run it any faster.  Just going to spend the same to me sitting on the lift, but at least on a more comfortable chair.
When was the chair speed advertised to the public?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
Snowballs wrote
True, but I was attacked when I mentioned upgrading the North Quad which seems like a prime candidate to be high speed.  It's a fixed grip that serves an area catered to much lower ability levels and runs slowly and is stopping constantly as a result.  Upgrading that means less people in the base area and less lift lines.  Unfortunately this will take a lot of money of which ORDA does not have any, so they keep long slow lifts around instead of upgrading them.
I don't recall ever waiting in line at the North quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I mean less lines at the gondola.  More people on the other sections means less people at the gondola.  The AE2 is an awesome addition to Gore, even though it has not carried a ticketed customer yet.  However the majority of customers will never experience its awesomeness because people won't ride a lift that's out in the open.  Softening of the skiing public at its finest.  I will ride it all the time unless I want to get to the terrain that only the gondola goes to.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Oh yea I stay right away from there on weekends.  
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i skied last saturday and took a good look at the new unloading zone. i didn't think it look looked much different. the pitch looked about the same . also, i saw no damage to snoopy.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
I'd like to see the North Quad replaced by a Poma lift. Really.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The AE2 OPENS this Friday.
1 ... 2223242526