122 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Grrrr. I've had better days.

Peter Minde
Harv

Sorry to hear about your vehicles.  I hope you get fair compensation from the insurance, but based on my wife's experience it's an uphill battle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Peter thanks for the wishes. I don't think your ever break even on a car accident.

Got Car #1 back from Al today. It looks decent.

A huge amount of the backend is plastic and that is pretty smart IMO.

Zelda will be driving it now as the Prius is next.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Unless you have a frame bending accident , it shouldn't affect the value of the car..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
Unless you have a frame bending accident , it shouldn't affect the value of the car..

Oh how I wish that were true. If the accident was reported to insurance, carfax will pick it up and the value of the car will drop. Doesn't make it right, it's just the way it is. Late model cars showing a "bad carfax" will at least take an aprox hit of 10%.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote
Harv

Sorry to hear about your vehicles.  I hope you get fair compensation from the insurance, but based on my wife's experience it's an uphill battle.
Exactly, talk about a racket!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I've got to agree with Camp on this one.

One fine winter day Zelda "shoveled" the snow off her Civic. No dents but a scratch on every panel = total repaint.

On trade 2 different dealer put it under some kind of infrared and said "this entire car has been painted."

Blue book = $9900
Our price = $6200

Sure you can try to sell it yourself. But some of what you gain is lost in sales tax, and it's a pain.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i was selling a older car..
i guess if it's not major, in the end it's cheaper not to report it..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Right, if it's an older car with big miles it really wont matter at all.

prime example:

few years ago my father was in an accident w/ his outback (only couple years old with 20k for miles), long story short, i pushed the insurance company to total the vehicle but it was 1500 short in damage for their bean counters to do it. my dad didn't want the car ( i don't blame him, i wouldn't have wanted it either), i didn't want to take it on trade so i took it to the auction for him. we looked at auction reports together and by rights the car shoould've done 20 to 21k w/ no damage. i told him we'd be lucky as hell to break 18----the car did 18,400. my dad was pissed and i got to tell him i told you so  
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I've got to agree with Camp on this one.

One fine winter day Zelda "shoveled" the snow off her Civic. No dents but a scratch on every panel = total repaint.

On trade 2 different dealer put it under some kind of infrared and said "this entire car has been painted."

Blue book = $9900
Our price = $6200

Sure you can try to sell it yourself. But some of what you gain is lost in sales tax, and it's a pain.
Original Factory Paint jobs are much better than anything a body shop does.  I watched the full episode of this recently:  

http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/how-its-made/videos/dream-cars.htm

(it's actually the 2nd video on that page. History of the 911)

You should see how they give that sucker a paint job. They mechanically dip each body part in paint. Multiple coats of primer and then even more coats of the actual paint.  No way you can do the same thing in a body shop with spray on paint machines.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Somehow I ended up as the owner of this business. But I'm not a real leader in any true sense.  Just a hard working SEO who got lucky.

Today I got royally screwed by an asshole.  This guy is the only person in the world I can't stand more that Trump and Chris Christie.

At the moment I realized I was getting fucked, instead of blasting off an angry response by email, I went home, poured a glass of wine and called my partner who is in Vegas on business.

Feeling a bit mellower, and glad I didn't react angrily. Will face it tomorrow hopefully with a better result. I got lucky this time as a relatively large amount is at stake.

So how about you... fly off the handle and blast out some righteous and justified indignation or breathe deep and face it tomorrow? Either is ok believe me I am not judging.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'm in sales so I have to bite my tongue constantly. As the owner, even if it's not the career track that got you here, you're in sales too. Always better to to keep your powder dry until raising your voice can do some good. I vote you did the right thing holding back.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Go with the flow - if they did not do right by you don't accept their business again. Lesson learned.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This was not a client. A former partner, alcoholic, womanizer, dirtbag who's word, signature and commitment is meaningless.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Sorry about that. At least the cancer is out and you can now start to heal.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
It takes a very strong man to keep cool, Harvey.  I believe one should always take the high road.  Unfortunately, I admit, sometimes I am weak...although I always strive to be strong in this regard.  

Don't sweat it, Harvey. Live and learn.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Blasting off wouldn't have solved anything may have created bigger issues. Right choice.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
When I have a bad day I go on a ski blog and argue about meaningless shit with some other dudes.  Oh wait ...maybe TMI
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Flying off the handle and spouting a ton of shit is my middle name...I have a bad habit reacting with emotion instead of reason...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Lost my temper on a client earlier this week.  First time ever.  Dropped the F bomb twice.  Not "F-you" but in the context of "The file hasn't' been cleared because the bank's computers have been down since Friday, I talked to them today (Monday) and they're still working on the issue.  After a few minutes of her ragging on me without me being ale to get one word it just happened... "I don't F'n Know anything else, if you don't believe me call them yourselves"

Has been 7 months of dealing with these highly toxic people.  The kind of people you're suppose to stay away from because they just drag you down.  The type of people who if you miss their call, they call back immediately 4x from different numbers without leaving voicemails.

50% of the conversations that should last 2 minutes drag on for 30+ minutes of tangents..  It had been a long day and I sort of lost it.

Now they have somehow come up with the idea that I called her an "F'n bitch", called her 'stupid and ignorant'  Which I certainly did not and are bold faced lies.  

People are whacky.

Next.

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I am not an owner nor do I pretend to be one. I don't want to work that hard -- lol

That said, I answer to one and have had the same owner since 1999. I handle communication on a daily basis for him. I have done both blasting people as well as taking a step back and kissing ass. Both have their  place, both are effective in the right situation. Even while kissing ass a little jab of sarcasm will get my point across
12345 ... 7