1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Grrrr. I've had better days.

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
So it's only a car right? Well actually it was two cars.

Zelda, Neve I went to a pool that we joined. We took two cars, because I was going to leave early to get an MTB ride.  I headed out around 4 and I notice this guy has parked me in. MAN he parked close. Wait... he crashed in my car, and the car next to me, which unfortunately was Zeldas. Looks like it rolled down the hill.

No MTB for me. Back into the pool to figure out who the guy is.

The pool staff finds him and he and his wife come out.

I have to admit that it was not my finest hour.  Freakin thing is still in drive without parking brake engaged.

He sees my nyskiblog.com diecut on the CRV and asks me:

Him: "What is nyskiblog.com?"

Me: "It's a website."

Him: "Is it about skiing?"

Me: "Yes."

Him: "Is it a blog?"

Me: "Yes it's a blog about NY skiing."

Her: "Oh we ski at Park City and Deer Valley.  In the east we only ski at Stratton."

Him: "That's not true honey, this year we skied at Belleayre for $10."

Her: (mortified)

The guy was actually pretty cool. The wife on other hand...

She kept saying how I should be happy that no children were hurt.  You know what, deep down in my soul I was happy no children were hurt.  But I kept thinking... No YOU should be glad no children were hurt.

She just had no concept... you just trashed both my cars. Let me be mad for a few minutes.  Stop trying to talk me out of it.  I tuned a lot of it out. Zelda told me the full extent of her cluelessness later and it was mind blowing.

I don't know why, but writing this stuff down, helps me let it go.

If you have a bad day, and want to post it, this is the place.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Grrrr. I've had better days.

Sick Bird Rider
That is definitely a Very Bad Day. Glad you kept your cool and I hope it all works out.

People like that should not have children.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Zelda
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Glad you kept your cool...
LOL
"Go ahead and jump!" - Van Halen
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Zelda wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Glad you kept your cool...
LOL
Well, keeping one's cool can be a relative thing. Can we at least assume that no one came to blows?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
No pictures?

I hope you took some pictures for the insurance company. What a ridiculous story.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
x10003q wrote
No pictures? I hope you took some pictures for the insurance company. What a ridiculous story.
I was hoping to see some pics as well, Harvey.  How do you get out of a car...with automatic transmission and not have it in park?  Obviously, too much automation...like keyless ignitions, that I am assuming that Cadouche had, is not a good thing.  Back in the day, you couldn't get the key out of the ignitition if it wasn't in park.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
Sorry about that Harvey. I had my car totaled once it sucks.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Shoulda punched the sissy Flatton skier
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
x10003q wrote
No pictures? I hope you took some pictures for the insurance company. What a ridiculous story.
I was hoping to see some pics as well, Harvey.  How do you get out of a car...with automatic transmission and not have it in park?  Obviously, too much automation...like keyless ignitions, that I am assuming that Cadouche had, is not a good thing.  Back in the day, you couldn't get the key out of the ignitition if it wasn't in park.
totally agree..i wonder if that car even had shift.. keyless ignition and push button shifters are ridiculous..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It was a keyless ignition.

I was wondering how the thing wouldn't warn you that you were leaving it in drive. But when the guy opened the door it was really "binging" loud.  That wasn't enough to get the message across.

I also wondered why you wouldn't use the emergency brake when parked on a steep incline.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
First of all Harv that  situation sucks !!! . getting 2 cars bashed by doofii that FAIL to engage either park and or emergency brakes is incredulous

I give u major points for staying relatively calm with these ignorant jackwagons .  Duh some people have more money than brains and that is reason enough for them not to procreate dammit !  

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
that sucks harv - hope all gets taken care of.

in keeping with the thread title i'd just like to add a lesson learned this morning: if you are in a meeting and the attorney offers to send out for lunch at 11 am - TAKE IT!!!!! he's not doing it to be polite, you're going to be there for A VERY LONG TIME!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Our cars aren't even close to totalled. These are fender benders.

Totalled is always the best option, assuming no one is hurt and it's not your fault.

Cars that have had bodywork or been painted are worth much less in trade.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We drive our cars for 6 years, it works for us.

That's just before the rust on mine starts to show - I don't drive it enough to keep it from rusting.

They are hondas and our last one was a toyota. They cost about 20-25k and we get 10k on trade for them. Payments are about 150/mo with no repairs and maintenance is included for 2-3 years. Costs are limited to one set of tires and oil changes plus the 150.  We often sell right before the timing chain is due. In our experience japanese cars are really cheap to drive for the first 6 years.

The only car in the last 6 that we didn't get 10k for was one that was hit.  We fixed it when it happened and we sold it they only gave us 6k for it. The have some kind of infared thing that lets them know it was painted. We go with the dealer to save the tax and the hassle.

This double accident will be covered 100% by the other guys insurance but will probably cost us 6-8k on resale.

No love affair with any car. Not since high school.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Harvey,

A: that sucks

B: I think you won't get hit as hard as you think, at least I hope so. I can't see a 10k car becoming a 4k car because of a fender bender.

Get the quote for the repairs from the best body guy you can find.

And for the love of all that is ullr, please buy some snow tires for the winter. If Gore gets lets than 250"'s next year, we know who to blame!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ml242 wrote
I can't see a 10k car becoming a 4k car because of a fender bender.
I was thinking 3k per car for 6k total. Two 10k cars becoming 7k. That's what happened with Zelda's Civic.

My across the street neighbor is a body shop. It's kind of a funky neighborhood. There is a lumber yard on our street too.

I don't honestly know if he is any good, but he's a hell of a good guy and does all my oil changes, tire rotations and stuff so he gets the work. He keeps my snow tires in his shed.

Pretty damn convenient to step out the front door walk across the street, hand Al the keys and walk to work. He snags it from the driveway and puts it back when he's done.  I have to tackle the guy to get him to take my money.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Harvey,

A: that sucks

B: I think you won't get hit as hard as you think, at least I hope so. I can't see a 10k car becoming a 4k car because of a fender bender.

Get the quote for the repairs from the best body guy you can find.

And for the love of all that is ullr, please buy some snow tires for the winter. If Gore gets lets than 250"'s next year, we know who to blame!
I think you got it mixed up. If Harv buys snow tires it won't snow. Therefore he cannot buy snow tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
1234 ... 7