Quantcast

Jan thaw coming?

classic Classic View
39 messages Options
Reply |  

Jan thaw coming?

Coach Z
How warm is it going to be next week?  Accuweather has Jan 9-13 pretty warm and mixed precip.  Is this going to get ugly?  Why is it that January always has these damm thaws?

"Life is like a snowball, the important thing is finding wet snow and a really long hill"  Warren Buffet
Reply |  

Re: Jan thaw coming?

mattchuck2
Reply |  

Denis.N
late next week may hit 40 degrees for few days, that's about it as i see accuweather forecast, nothing to be worried about imo

Reply |  

Coach Z
In reply to this post by mattchuck2
can't blame global warming on these things I've seen this for 25 years now and I can't ever recall not having a Jan thaw.  Doesn't mean that they don't suck though  

"Life is like a snowball, the important thing is finding wet snow and a really long hill"  Warren Buffet
Reply |  

DackerDan
It's still too early to worry about. The forecast I am looking at says a high of 35 for a couple of days next week - that's hardly a Jan thaw.

Reply |  

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Coach Z
Coach Z wrote
 I've seen this for 25 years now and I can't ever recall not having a Jan thaw.
Not quite true. The amazing 2000-01 season did not have a thaw.

Reply |  

Re: Jan thaw coming

Harvey
Admin
Two seasons ago (2010-2011) it was pretty cold December - February. I don't remember a big thaw during that period.  That year it snowed at Gore on these January dates:

Jan 3
Jan 4
Jan 5
Jan 6
Jan 7
Jan 8
Jan 9
Jan 11
Jan 12
Jan 15
Jan 16
Jan 18
Jan 19
Jan 21
Jan 22
Jan 25
Jan 29

I'm sure there was probably some NCP in there but as I recall it was pretty consistently cold.

The NOAA/NWS has been showing a dramatic warmup next week for several days.  My guess is it is real.

Worrying about it is pointless.  Just the fact that it has happened such a high percentage of the time, is proof that it is a fact of life in the east, AGW or not.

90% of forum members live in the east. Why is that? There must be a reason.

"...at least I get to ski once in a while and no one is shooting at me."  -BigK75
Reply |  

Marcski
Harvey44 wrote
Stupidity?  The snow and mountains are just far superior out west.  

Reply |  

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
You started this out of the Adirondacks, it's call NYSkiblog, what did you expect.  

Anyway - I live here because my job is here, I moved here from Virginia, I think that was a step up (except for taxes, but that's a whole different topic). My wife won't move too far from the kids but I am hoping for a winter venue change after retirement, SLC is looking quite nice.

Reply |  

ScottySkis
Josh from Mad river blog saids warm coming but positive news is snow is the west so great time to go to Slc, or just wait it out ,hopefully cold returns in  couple weeks or sooner

Scotty