classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lookout Pass, ID 03/10/13

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
I've always been interested in checking out Lookout Pass, which straddles the Idaho/Montana state line right alongside I-90, almost halfway between Spokane to the west and Missoula to the southeast.

Even though its stats are modest -- a 1,150-foot vertical drop and 540 skiable acres -- Lookout averages more than 400 inches of annual snow, giving it a reputation for the best lift-served snow conditions in the Inland Northwest region, hence, no snowmaking. Moreover, it's one of the most affordable ski hills that you'll ever run across: $38 on weekends and holidays, $35 midweek, aimed at making skiing available to cost-conscious families:

The historic and atmospheric lodge -- the oldest continuously operating one in Idaho -- reminds you that Lookout is one of only three ski areas in the U.S. that spreads across two states. I know that Heavenly is another. Does anyone know which is the third?

Like so many ski areas in this part of the U.S., Lookout has a handful of Riblet center-pole doubles.

We had a great time cruising the consistently pitched groomed trails that snake through the trees:

And found nicely spaced trees all over the mountain.

In operation since 1935, it's one of those old-school ski areas that's right in my sweet spot. Another thing I love about the day areas in this region is that they all seem to have big plans for their future: no resting on their laurels. Just like Mount Spokane installing a new chair on its back side, take a look at Lookout's expansion plans. They hope to open two other peaks and build a new 20,000 foot lodge.

Moreover, given the mountain's target audience, Lookout makes no bones about the key role that the ski school plays in its future and brought in an ambitious new director to lead them there. No attitude or exorbitant prices; just people out having fun in the snow, including this mono-skier:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lookout Pass, ID 03/10/13

JasonWx
when it comes to cool and interesting places, you hit the jackpot this trip..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Place looks saweeet !!!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Nice work...er play! I love seeing these great TR's from ski areas off the beaten path!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Catamount straddles NY and MA.
Reply | Threaded
|

MTSnow
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Lost Trail Powder Mountain also straddles MT and ID, at the top of Chief Joseph pass, and also gets ridiculous amounts of our awesome Rocky Mountain powder.