classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mount Spokane, WA 03/06/13

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Thanks to the three-hour time difference, we were able to kick off our week in the Inland Northwest with an afternoon visit to Mount Spokane, a nonprofit ski area less than an hour from the airport. It offers locals a sizable mountain (2,000 verts/1,400 skiable acres) with challenging terrain, reasonable season pass rates, and night skiing -- allowing Spokaners to cruise up for a quick fix of legitimate turns without a long drive.

The scenery on the drive up was beautiful and skies were blue, but a few minutes before arriving, we drove into a storm that was circling the mountain, which significantly reduced visibility. After every lift ride, we were covered in snow:

In the 2.5 hours we spent there before continuing to Schweitzer, the region's big destination resort, Mount Spokane impressed us -- really nice terrain, excellent tree skiing, and a great hometown vibe in the lodge. Here I am in the Geronimo Trees:

Ridge Run:

For lift freaks, Mount Spokane operates five nicely maintained Riblet chairs from the late 60s, which is appropriate because Riblet -- at one point, the largest ski chairlift manufacturer in the world -- was headquartered in Spokane.

Finally, Mount Spokane has purchased a lift from fellow nonprofit mountain Bridger Bowl, which they plan to install on the back side of the mountain, allowing them to create more intermediate terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mount Spokane, WA 03/06/13

JasonWx
Was chair 4 running? Cool looking center pole chair.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
JasonWx wrote
Was chair 4 running? Cool looking center pole chair.
Yes, the chair was running, but no one was on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
That's something a few local areas won't do..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
The Streak continues!  (or is reborn?)  Good on ya James! Place looks right up your alley.  Old school, deserted, good snow.

That chair is cool.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
I've flown into Spokane airport more times than I can remember, usually on my way to BC. After reading your report I'll have to make some time on my next trip there to ski Mt. Spokane. It sounds like my kind of place. Kinda sorry I haven't been there yet. I also want to check out Parallel 49 ski area. It sound like it might be interesting. Has anyone been there?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Rochester Mark wrote
 I also want to check out 49 Degrees ski area. It sound like it might be interesting. Has anyone been there?
I skied there on my departure day, Tuesday. Here's the trip report.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rochester Mark
Have fun and let us know how it was. PDQ, my son Aaron, his friend Hartman and I are heading for Montana next Saturday. Hoping we get some fresh stuff but nice spring conditions will work too! When I was in Utah last week we spent so much time poking around for fresh lines we never got into the really steep trees I love so much.  Usually a few days after the storm pickings get slim so we just went where the powder was. Hoping to get a little bit of both this trip.                                                       PS, credit for my new photo goes to my son Kyle the photographer. Thanks!