I thought about starting a thread called "Truth in Advertising."  Dig it:

Reply |  

Re: Mad River Glen Conditions

Harvey
Admin
Reply |  

70s Gore Kid
Harv, MRG gives the best snow report in the Northeast, hands down.  Why?  Because it is the most honest.

When r##n is forecast, they say so.  When conditions are bad, they say so.  When the trails are thin, they say so.

Anytime you want to know what the skiing will be like on natural trails anywhere in N NYS or VT, read their report.  Sorry to diss on Gore, but their snow report focuses more on the lunch special than how icy the trails may be.

Worst snow report? Killington. It's always great, there are always a million trails open with great conditions, the snowmakers are all blowing, and never any r##n.  Oh, and the breakdown of 3 major lifts this past MLK weekend( which I read about at length on other blogs) never happened.

Reply |  

Snowhunter
I've never been to MRG before this past Tuesday but I thought that conditions were great!  It was definitely the best day of skiing of the year for me.  The whole mountain was open and there had been around 6" of fresh snow the previous 24 hrs.  On top of that it snowed all morning.  There were some spots scraped down to the ice base but it they could still be skied.  Plenty of people were in the trees and where I ventured in there was plenty of cover.  Definitely worth the trip.

Reply |  

ml242
Hey, Snowhunter! Maybe I saw you there. What a great day. I'm with 70's Gore Kid, best report in the biz. It's what I look up to see actual snowfall and conditions. They don't inflate totals at all, and when you get there the nice natural surface makes it feel like you've had twice as much snow anyway.

And the POV from Tuesday:

Reply |  

Snowhunter
Hey ml242!  There's a good chance we crossed paths at one point or another.  It really was a great day, I'll definitely be heading back there.  I tried to explore as much of the mountain as I could (limited at times by my ability or lack there of).  Having heard a few of you now vouch for the validity of their snow reports I'm going to make sure that I check them whenever I'm looking for info on VT skiing.  Thanks!

Reply |  

70s Gore Kid
Best. Snow report.  Ever.  From MRG's website, Thursday, Feb 8th, 2012:

"Roses are Red, ice can be blue.

We may not have tons of snow, but what can we do?"

Reply |  

ScottyJack
70s Gore Kid wrote
Best. Snow report.  Ever.  From MRG's website, Thursday, Feb 8th, 2012:

"Roses are Red, ice can be blue.

We may not have tons of snow, but what can we do?"
Ha! Awesome!  

And you can sharpen your edges and rip that ice like an Adirondacker!!  

Reply |  

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by ml242
Nice vid.  

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
Temps were borderline all weekend and you sense that a few hundred feet below the base areas (Bush and Mad) that it was probably raining.  But the cover at Mad was really pretty decent IMO. An inch or two of dense snow fell overnight and it made everything very skiable.

2 feet at the Mad snow stake.

Followed Eric Friedman around.  He told us he hadn't been out in three weeks, and he ate up some very tough lines.