Mad River Glen Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
109 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mad River Glen Conditions

moguljunkie
Outstanding spring conditions yesterday on the terrain still open. Chute was the place to be in the afternoon. Fall Line was also good. A few bare spots in places on those trails, but MRG's rocks almost always magically never seem to cause any base damage.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Chute looks like heaven!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski

1-31-2016 I understand it rained a little after I left

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I guess the rain was real. I just saw on FB they're suspending operations til the weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
they're rebooting this friday, heard 16"+ so far from the spine magic.

Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Skied mad for the first time yesterday with buckethead aka Mike and Damian. What a great mountain. It was the deepest snow of the year for me with some 2' drifts and untracked woods lines all day. I can't wait to get back up there. Temps started at -6 and the iPhone instantly froze so no pictures except for one of my first trip up the single chair
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
First time this year or ever?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
If you were thinking of skiing MRG this season, the time is now! It's off the hook right now. Was there Friday and never skied it in conditions this awesome, and I used to ski there all the time when I lived in Boston.

If you thought about skiing it this season, go, and go now!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
We arrived at around 11:00 this morning and went straight to the single chair.  At mid Station the wind was kicking up frozen granular snow, it was hard, firm and fast at the top.....we went straight to the bottom....jumped the double and kept on cruisers....after lunch we took to the practice slope which after sitting in the sun all morning had turned into nice clean corn.....then back to the double which ended up being our best run of the day, down Quacky.  It was pitched into the sun all day long and the bumps softened up beautifully...we figured the same happened to Canyon, but no such luck, it was firm and hard.  All in all we did get in a lot of runs, and you know what?  Even when the conditions are border line, who cares, because MRG shines anyway.

We’re doing MRG again tomorrow, then two rain days off, up to Jay, back to MRG Friday and closing out at Gore on Sunday.

Winter seems to be hanging around a bit longer than one would like, we were hoping for hero snow....but alas it seems to have eluded us this year.  Perhaps mid April might be stellar, if operations see fit to keep the lifts turning.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
MikePom wrote
We arrived at around 11:00 this morning and went straight to the single chair.  At mid Station the wind was kicking up frozen granular snow, it was hard, firm and fast at the top.....we went straight to the bottom....jumped the double and kept on cruisers....after lunch we took to the practice slope which after sitting in the sun all morning had turned into nice clean corn.....then back to the double which ended up being our best run of the day, down Quacky.  It was pitched into the sun all day long and the bumps softened up beautifully...we figured the same happened to Canyon, but no such luck, it was firm and hard.  All in all we did get in a lot of runs, and you know what?  Even when the conditions are border line, who cares, because MRG shines anyway.

We’re doing MRG again tomorrow, then two rain days off, up to Jay, back to MRG Friday and closing out at Gore on Sunday.

Winter seems to be hanging around a bit longer than one would like, we were hoping for hero snow....but alas it seems to have eluded us this year.  Perhaps mid April might be stellar, if operations see fit to keep the lifts turning.
I was at MRG on Saturday and it was much better than your Sunday report. Glad I stayed home today... I was debating going back for another round but the weather suggested conditions wouldn't be as good.

On Saturday, the Sunnyside did not start to soften until around 11am and started to get good after noon. Quacky to Canyon was where it was at. I hit Birdland twice and Practice Slope once while waiting for things to soften up. Cat Bowl was nice for after noon as well, didn't bother with anything else off the Single... it just wasn't warm enough to soften snow that didn't have sun exposure.

Cat Bowl was DEEP for this time of year... a few rough troughs but otherwise wall to wall. Lower elevation didn't fare as well as Periwinkle Bowl and Snail are already closed for the season as is LA. Glad I got it while it was good yesterday... but it still wasn't epic. Hopefully next weekend, I'll be back Saturday unless the weather is bad.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
We skied MRG again today and it was infinitely better than yesterday.  We stayed back at the condo until noon, then ate lunch at the mountain, first run was around 1:00 and it had softened up nicely.  Great runs down Quacky, all the groomers were good and even Antelope was softer.  

Around 3:15, as soon as the sun started to turn, it began stiffening up quick so we decided to ski down and have beers on the deck....just as much fun as lapping another run...better actually.

MRG is reporting that they are closed tomorrow and Wednesday as the weather is going to turn on them.  Thursday we're thinking that Jay is going to be a shit show of ice, but who cares...its Jay....

BUT....Friday we are back at MRG and the forecast is looking epic...5-8 inches of freshies....starting in the wee hours of the morning....should be sweet.

Saturday we're back at Gore for the weekend....and hoping they get some of the forecasted snow with a warm up rebound for the weekend.

I love spring skiing.....

MRG
MRG Monday April 2, 2018 - Booting up at 12:30 and waiting for it to soften.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
So core they needed thier own X-ray machine!

https://www.madriverglen.com/is-there-a-doctor-in-the-house/
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Tuned into the live web cam a few minutes ago, to see that its snowing at the single chair loading platform.  The IR cam works great at night, picking up the snow.

If this sub-tropical moisture stops streaming up from the Gulf States maybe some base can start building.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Txt from MC
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Harvey, MC, and NYSB getting love on FB.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Happy 70th Mad River Glen.  My Daughter and I did Roll Back The Clock Day today.  We were expecting a solid day but being a little early on the storm, nothing more.  First run down Chute was incredible with big soft bumps...arguably the best bump run in the east.  We did that a few times today.  Liftline on the edge of the glade had fresh lines right up until closing.  Upper parts of Paradise were showing a bit of blue underneath but plenty of snow to work with.  Almost anywhere you looked you could find freshies.  Fall Line and Paradise below the waterfall were deep and steep.  We skied shit that we had no idea where we were and ended up in some interesting situations.   We each hucked opposite ends of a ledge to a roar from a crowd that we didn't realize was watching us. No idea where all the snow came from but we were real happy to find it.  I am sure tomorrow will be spectacular but today was much better than expected.  I do love this place!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Skiing great today. Still lots of soft snow in the trees. Maybe the last day before the big melt.
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Fresh Vermont cream!

Amazing cover!

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I'm just following up on my brief post from yesterday which was an amazing bluebird day of skiing at MRG.  The snow was super soft and creamy, even up at the top of the mountain.  The light snow from the day before bonded with the base to produce an excellent skiing surface.

By late afternoon the bottom of the mountain was turning into that nice sweet corn that also skis great.

It is amazing that on the 11th of April the cover was so exceptional. Usually this time of the year you are skiing around bare spots and slushy ice flows.  There is none of this to be seen this year....yet.....

MRG Base Box
MRG Bluebird day from the Base Box at lunch.

I would highly recommend that if you are on the fence about coming up to Vermont to get some, get up here and get it now.  It's amazing, and MRG is saying this might be their longest season in history.