Market Philosophy: What You Got?

45 messages Options
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Market Philosophy: What You Got?

Harv : everyone is different , it is folly to give specific advice without knowing individual's risk tolerance and how much they may have safed up to date and wht their horizon looks like , age , health , dependents goals etc

Matt as a younger man has a longer horizon and seeks tax avoidance this year i get that , but others may need to safe up a portion or significant portion depending on their personal horizon . Ipersonally did exactly that in 2007 before the fit hit the shan , i went back in gradually over that span but safed up a pretty substantial sum because a small percentage of a big number IS STILL A BIG NUMBER .

That said you have a young daughter and i know how you love your family and given your age and  moderated by your personal goals for Neve and your family , you WILL  do the right and prudent thing .. Hey you are a. Bright guy with goals and aspirations so keep focused and listen to your inner voice .

All the best and of course  Merry Christmas , Happy Holidays and a healthy and happy New Year to you and the FAm.

W
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

Gold.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
If you really think the market is going to correct on Jan 2 why wouldn't you rebalance now? .
I never rebalance, but I did a bit of it for this reason (only about $25,000 worth, from stocks into "fixed assets", or whatever they call the money market account in my retirement system).

I'll probably switch it back at some point next year (half in February, half in June), then switch my contribution back to 100% stocks in August or so.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote
If you really think the market is going to correct on Jan 2 why wouldn't you rebalance now? .
I never rebalance, but I did a bit of it for this reason (only about $25,000 worth, from stocks into "fixed assets", or whatever they call the money market account in my retirement system).

I'll probably switch it back at some point next year (half in February, half in June), then switch my contribution back to 100% stocks in August or so.
I wasn't really asking you MC I was just throwing it out there. I never rebalanced until I was 58 (last year) so I agree with your strategy.  I also was making the assumption that "people" have most of their stuff in tax deferred, which is probably a flawed assumption.
"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to, to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

My Wife handles all of this stuff..

1/2 in tax differed , the rest in mutual funds/cd's/bonds..

no individual stocks..her work doesn't allow it..
"Peace and Love"